MSE News: Morrisons to begin price matching Aldi and Lidl

Options

Comments

• WillyWonga
    Options
    Had the Morrisons original Miles Card and got sent the new match card through post. reading through comments here there is abit of misunderstanding - used my card twice now.

Firstly who have to spend min £15 for the price match to kick in.

However.... you dont have to spend the £15 to get the offers like 150 points on bananas. I spent under a tenner on bits and bobs and got 500 points on offers. The receipt shows balance from previous day and app on phone shows immediate balance minutes after shopping.

Once you reach 5000 points at the checkout or the petrol station they will issue you a £5 gift voucher.

100 points on Hovis bread (£1), 100 on own brand teabags (£1.15) etc.

Seems to be working well and definately noticed increased numbers in store
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,245 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've got so many loyalty cards now that I've put them in a separate wallet, and I keep forgetting to take it out with me.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The £5 vouchers are the Catalina coupon vouchers printed automatically at the till. Not the old gift voucher-style voucher you used to get with the Miles petrol card.
  • zozza26
    zozza26 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Morrisons is going downhill FAST!! We've made a number of complaints recently but this new points card really takes the biscuit!

So here's an example of how this card actually rips you off...

I buy at least 1 x 2L Pepsi Max a week. Now Asda or Morrisons usually have this at £1 a bottle. At the moment Asda is still £1 but Morrisons is £1.98.
    Morrisons have the cheek to charge you double but give you 100 points. If I bought 1 bottle each week for a year at the Morrisons price of £1.98 that equals £102.96. Asda would cost me £52. But it's ok because the additional £50.96 I have forked out is cancelled out by the 52 x 100 points - a whole £5 voucher.

We have shopped in Morrisons for years and since this card has been introduced the prices have gone right up. We also used to get a money off voucher at the till most weeks for £3-4 off our next shop. That has now been scrapped which alone saved about £150 a year off our shopping.

They actually don't credit us with any intelligence and this gimmick certainly wont keep customer loyalty
  • daniel3903093
    Options
    Surly in the case of the pepsi the price match part of the card would kick in and you would get the difference back in points so not much of a rip off if they pay you back.
  • zozza26
    zozza26 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    That is the point I'm making - there is no price match
    The coke is 98p a bottle more in Morrisons. They haven't offered to price match it, just give 100 point on a useless card. Them points are worth 10p!
    So work out how much out of pocket on just that item...
  • spiritus
    spiritus Posts: 684 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    zozza26 wrote: »
    That is the point I'm making - there is no price match
    The coke is 98p a bottle more in Morrisons. They haven't offered to price match it, just give 100 point on a useless card. Them points are worth 10p!
    So work out how much out of pocket on just that item...

I thought you get 10 points for every penny.

A 98 p difference would give you 980 points and not 100 (or 98).
    No Unapproved or Personal links in signatures please - FT3
  • geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Surly in the case of the pepsi the price match part of the card would kick in and you would get the difference back in points so not much of a rip off if they pay you back.

Even if the price match gave you the whole amount back, it would only do so if you spent £15 or more.

Anyone spending less than £15 would not get the price match.

So, in effect, some people would pay £1.98 and others £1.
  • geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    spiritus wrote: »
    I thought you get 10 points for every penny.

That's what the faq says
    What is Price Match?

Price Match compares the total value of the qualifying branded and own brand goods in your basket with the comparable branded and own brand goods from each of Asda, Sainsbury's, Tesco, Aldi and Lidl. If the total value of comparable products is cheaper than Morrisons you will receive the difference in points at the rate of 10 points to 1 pence on your Morrisons Match & More Card provided you have spent £15 or more.
  • deely
    deely Posts: 383 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So when you get 100 bonus points on some items, it's just 10p on your card? Wow!!!
    So using the Pepsi as an example, you get price matched to Asda for £1 PLUS the 100 points on your card??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure