🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries October 2014

Options

Comments

• city_girl_258
    Options
    There's a £10 off £20 spend voucher knocking around for Molton Brown:eek:
    I currently have the stocking fillers shower gel collection in my shopping basket but do i or don't i?
    It's £29 for the set with the discount and free delivery so effectively saving £15 and i'm on my last shower gel of the stash...tempting!
  • hieveryone
    hieveryone Posts: 3,846 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    There's a £10 off £20 spend voucher knocking around for Molton Brown:eek:
    I currently have the stocking fillers shower gel collection in my shopping basket but do i or don't i?
    It's £29 for the set with the discount and free delivery so effectively saving £15 and i'm on my last shower gel of the stash...tempting!

Don't do it, they're not worth it ;)

Bought is to buy. Brought is to bring.
  • rogueylawyer
    Options
    VALM wrote: »

Went to Trafford Centre today to collect the L'Occitane free gift. Ladies you get a voucher in it also for £10.00 off on a spend of £20.00. MrM bought me a bottle of Jasmine & Bergamot fragrance for Christmas so made a little saving on that.

SOB, so sad I missed this!
  • SmarterNotHarder
    Options
    Hi everyone! Hope you are all well :)

I have another UU and a question.

the UU is Lancôme Express Cleansing Water 15ml WMBA. The going seems really slow at the moment! I'm tempted to get the No7 advent calendar when it comess out at £35 but know I really shouldn't!

I'm not a natural fashion/beauty addict. Not in the sense that I know what I'm doing anyway! I need to try and pull it together more and I have more makeup than I think I will ever get through!

I have a feeling that this is down to "you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" syndorme :o

On the other hand I then see all these products that claim they will make me beautiful and I just *have* to try them. And I tried them once and couldn't be bothered again. That's pretty much how the stash accumulated.

Anyway there's the story. I am doing really well for the most part with not buying everything until I've used stuff up, with the occasional lapse, but I don't always get the motivation to pamper myself beyond the "stay clean and don't smell" point. I was wondering if any of you have any tips?

Oh and on a side note, I don't wear makeup very often, but when I do I stuggle to get it off! Yesterday I went to a wedding, and when I got back, I used a cream exfoliator to wash my face, rubbing it in all round, then a wet flannel, then dried my face, and still, when using a cotton pad and the above cleansing water, foundation was still coming off my face. Am I doing something wrong?

Well done if you managed to make it through the post!
  • seasideDreamer
    Options
    Evening all, hope everyone's had a good weekend, its flown by again:-( Couple of UU here to round off the weekend, bit annoyed by the slow progress with a Birthday coming up and the need for my Boxing Day sale shopping...hmm maybe I don't need it:eek::eek:
    UU Ted Baker body scrub
    UU LUSH Candy Mountain

Debt free and busy treating myself:)

No more toiletries/make up until I've used what I've got stashed since Jan 2011, graduated October 2012. Restocked Dec 13..damn those sales
  • city_girl_258
    Options

I don't wear makeup very often, but when I do I stuggle to get it off! Yesterday I went to a wedding, and when I got back, I used a cream exfoliator to wash my face, rubbing it in all round, then a wet flannel, then dried my face, and still, when using a cotton pad and the above cleansing water, foundation was still coming off my face. Am I doing something wrong?

I find the same thing SmarterNotHarder. I wear tinted moisturiser as I like a bit less coverage than foundation but still find it a bit of a pain to get off. I use face wipes then cleanser and toner and it's still coming off! I find using a facial exfoliator helps before cleansing, I do this in the shower as I find it easier to get off that way but you don't need to.
    I know that some foundations are worse to get off than others though :-/
    I tend to go in phases with the pampering. Some days totally on it but then others I just want to crawl into bed and forget moisturiser ever existed. I've never really been taught how to do make-up so I can still sometimes feel pretty clueless but I like to go on youtube and watch the beauty bloggers talk about the products and show you how to use them. I don't always pay attention but it's nice for it to be in the comfort of your own home and you don't feel obliged to buy anything because you've spent 15 minutes with a lady on a make-up counter!
  • SmarterNotHarder
    Options
    I know that some foundations are worse to get off than others though :-/
    I tend to go in phases with the pampering. Some days totally on it but then others I just want to crawl into bed and forget moisturiser ever existed. I've never really been taught how to do make-up so I can still sometimes feel pretty clueless but I like to go on youtube and watch the beauty bloggers talk about the products and show you how to use them. I don't always pay attention but it's nice for it to be in the comfort of your own home and you don't feel obliged to buy anything because you've spent 15 minutes with a lady on a make-up counter!

For some reason cleansing wipes irritate my skin, even the "sensitive" ones. I only use either MAC or Clinique foundations as I find they don't aggravate my skin, which is good as it doesn't like to come off :rotfl:

I've never been taught how to do make up either and so keep doing the same "natural" look I learned when I was a teenager. Someone suggested I try red lipstick, given my reaction, they might as well have suggested I bathe in glitter :S I'd love to be more adventurous, but scared I'll look like a clown!
  • Fiasco55
    Fiasco55 Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Evening ladies

I feel my skin tone has changed with the seasons. I have been noticing a difference between my face and neck with my foundation. So I bought the next shade lighter in L'Oreal matching which on its own us too light for me at the moment (come the depths of winter I'm sure it will be fine). I have been experimenting using a mixture of both and blending. This is working well.

Had a major flood in my en suite during the week which is now a replacement insurance job :-/. All my toiletries are up in the air and I will need to decamp once work gets underway. Trying to get excited about a new and improved ensuite ( goodbye tiles, hello wall boards) but can't see past the stress and upheaval. Can't even bring myself to head out to bathroom showrooms .
    No buying toiletries Graduated May 2017
    Decluttered 2016 2469 items, 2017 1580 items :j
    2018 3060 items
    Sealed Pot Challenge No 038
  • Sundaysgirl
    Sundaysgirl Posts: 1,096 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 20 October 2014 at 9:21AM
    Options
    Hope everyone had a lovely weekend!

Fiasco - so sorry to haer about your bathroom, and I can totally empathise with the burying-head-in-sand reluctance to start bathroom shopping - I was exactly the same! It's a massive upheaval but will be worth it once finished, I'm sure. The end is in sight for mine, the walls now have tiles :j with all the problems and stresses over the past few weeks, however, I'm not counting my chickens yet! If all goes to plan we will be finished by the weekend and it will have been four looong weeks...

UUs:
    13/253. Sanctuary Foaming Bath Soak 75ml - WNB, came as part of a set and was lovely but I rarely have baths (apart from when enforced due to lack of shower!). This was repurposed as shower gel.

14/254. S&G Scrub of Your Life - WNBA, this is one of my preferred scrubs as does the job well, however it has brought me out in a shaving rash this time - maybe did the job a bit too well?! In fairness I've not used a scrub for a while owing to lack of bathroom and general pampering, so my skin was probably just a little over-sensitive. I have only a few scrubs left and will probably just move on to exfoliating gloves instead once they're all UU'd to save cash.

GA:
    1/2. Cussons Mum & Me Relax & Unwind Bath Soak 50ml - DH needed a mini shower gel for his gym bag - he's not so mocking of my stash now, all those minis have been so appreciated by us over the past month!
    MFW 2017 #123 2018: £1,852.64/£39,200 (4.7%)
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Fiasco - oh dear, I hope you get it all looking lovely soon.

I have a couple of uu

Jergens Naturals Cocoa Butter Body Lotion - WBA, nice and thick and creamy.

L'Occitane Fleur Cherie Bath & Shower Gel - this smelt really lovely but I wouldn't pay full price for any of their shower gels.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills