Should my mate pay for his own pricey drinks?

Options

Comments

• mameha
    mameha Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What slimmer1 said. He will get the message straight away.
  • meknowalot-51
    Options
    I've found that rounds are never a good idea,here's why.Some days you can drink faster than others.In a round of 4 or 5 i'm soon left with a pint or two on the side,so i decided years ago to buy my own and drink at MY pace not theirs.
    As for your situation it will never work out fairly unless your all drinking the same.If 3 of the drinks are £3 and the other 3 are £4 the round for a £3 drinker will cost £21,you lose £3 a round.Whereas the £4 drinker will gain £3 a round,so unless your drinking the most expensive drink out of the group you lose.Also what if you've just bought a round and the wife calls and you have to leave,genuine,that £3 pint just cost you £21.Some on here have mentioned a kitty,by the time i've had a pint others are on their second bottle of bud,bad idea.You should buy your own unless you all drink the same at the same pace and stay for the six drinks.A pint costs enough as it is without giving it away.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Kittys are terrible. I've only ever known them used on stag dos, where you're going to really busy places. Somehow my drinks for the night will cost 3 times as much as I've actually drank
  • OldMotherTucker
    Options
    I rarely drink out so am loathe to pay £4 a drink for myself let alone any one else!
    Soft drinks aren't always cheap either!

I'd rather my friends or drinking buddies came out and had a few enjoyable drinks without feeling pressurised to overspend!
  • jonvh48
    Options
    I don't really venture from Discussion time.. but I've now seen in very rare extra curricular navigation 3 bizarre question from relatively new MSE staff. I assume this one like the other two is a joke... a nonsense... no adult that I have ever met would ask the question... I'm sorry... but it seems to me new staff think they need to encourage discussion by asking silly moral questions that have obvious correct answers? Ban me if I'm wrong... this is a joke. Just effing talking to people..... it's called communication... if you can't communicate with friends.. see a shrink. My deepest apologies Joanne if this is a genuine question you ask... but I'm 40 years old... and I find it bloody odd.

Me personally I never expect someone to buy me a drink back I'm happy to buy them a drink.But back to your point exactly talk to each other if you can't how can you be friends????
  • Sooler
    Sooler Posts: 3,108 Forumite
    Options
    MSE_Joanne wrote: »
    I regularly meet up with a group of friends ... Should we ask him to buy his own?

Hell, keep your money in your wallet, you don't need any friends like that.
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    Options
    lxpeanut wrote: »
    Because you wanted to spend a pleasant evening with your friends.

Ok but why agree to go out or even out out if you can't afford what the evening entails?

If your skint why not suggest watching the match/film at ones home with a few supermarket beverages or some other social event with minimal or zero costs.
  • squirrel65
    Options
    There's always one to take the mick, my mate used to drink double vodka and coke like a fish and when it was her turn I'd get a single to her double in a tall glass everytime...hence I stopped honouring her with my company! Buy your own and you'l see at the end how much difference there is to your pocket - rounds just encourage greed anyway - I honestly can't keep up with most other drinkers.
  • Augustus_the_Strong
    Options
    I'd probably just say, 'Bloody hell, that bloody [whatever it is he drinks] costs a fortune! Can't you drink something cheaper?' But then I'm a Northerner.
  • helwarren
    helwarren Posts: 311 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I'd be more concerned with the ones drinking wine, hope they dont have a large glass!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure