Should my mate pay for his own pricey drinks?

Comments

• IronWolf
    IronWolf Posts: 6,423
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I dont drink, so as well as my drinks being cheaper, I also drink nowhere near as much as those on alcohol. So I never join the rounds and just get my own drinks
    Faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.
  • Pearlstar
    Pearlstar Posts: 823 Forumite
    BarryBlue wrote: »
    Let's get this right. Blokes go to the pub and buy rounds. It's what we do. Then when we go to the curry house and split the bill no matter what. Nobody abuses the system or they shouldn't be invited back.

Everybody buying their own is what women do. Getting their phone calculator out to work out a restaurant bill down to the last penny is what they do too.

Is anyone else bothered? If not, put up with it or don't go. (This is all from a bloke's perspective, of course.)

When I go out with my friends for lunch we divide the bill, round it up to cover the bill and pay it, we don't start saying "I had but you had" don't be sexist please!
    “Steal five dollars and you were a petty thief. Steal thousands of dollars and you were either a government or a hero.”
    ― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal
  • IronWolf
    IronWolf Posts: 6,423
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    But you'll find the guy ordering the £7 double shot would also be the guy ordering the expensive steak when everyone goes out for dinner.

'Rounds' usually work on the basis of everyone having a similarly priced drink. You don't expect the person drinking a soft drink to cough up for a round either

It's a problem when you have friends earning far more than you do, some of mine earn 3x as much as me, and thats not an exaggeration. You agree to go to a pricey restaurant because they can no longer stomach regular person food (or 'cheap' food), but you order something at a price you can afford while they have 3 courses and a couple of bottles of wine. Then they want to split the bill with you...

TBF good friends dont usually do that though and are happy to pay extra, but its the acquaintances that sometimes come along that always want to split the bill equally.
    Faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.
  • Marisco
    Marisco Posts: 42,036
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    BarryBlue wrote: »
    Yet, conversely, how wonderfully accurate. Because most of us were born and reared in that last century when things like this were done properly.;)

Quite so. As I said, it's a bloke thing. Women just don't get bloke things, just like blokes don't get women things, like the need to shop for shoes instead of watching sport on TV.

Give me watching footie on TV any day over shopping!! For anything!! :D
  • SailorSam wrote: »
    I always lost out when we bought rounds 'cos i was always the driver and had so little to drink,
    The driver is exempt from buying any rounds and gets their non-alcoholic drinks bought for them. That's one of the rules.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Fujiko
    Fujiko Posts: 150 Forumite
    MSE_Joanne wrote: »
    I regularly meet up with a group of friends in the pub to watch the football. While most of us drink beer and wine, one of our group drinks expensive spirits, which makes the cost of our rounds skyrocket. Should we ask him to buy his own?

You say you meet up regularly, but how frequent is that? I know nothing about football and care even less, but is this happening once a week or is it more often, and do all of you go along every time? Since some of you are drinking wine which I always think is quite expensive in a pub, is there really that much difference in the cost of a round which includes just one person drinking expensive spirits? What are these expensive spirits and how much more expensive than the usual spirits? Enough to make the bill "skyrocket" as you say? And how many rounds are we talking about?

Once again I find this post almost unbelievable, but if it is true perhaps you should all grow up.
  • davedogs
    davedogs Posts: 26 Forumite
    Yay someone can still afford to go out with friends and have a few drinks at the pub!

Sounds like someone needs to have a little more appreciation for the nicer things in life.

If this person is a friend would you go round in the middle of the night to help them if they asked? would they help you?

Friendship and the opportunity to enjoy it is a great thing, don't be a pillock and ruin something good for a few pence in the grand scheme of things!
  • Miski
    Miski Posts: 4,156 Forumite
    The driver is exempt from buying any rounds and gets their non-alcoholic drinks bought for them. That's one of the rules.

Yep, I figured that was an unwritten rule.

We'd never allow the driver to pay for any drinks.
  • wiogs
    wiogs Posts: 2,744 Forumite
    Miski wrote: »
    Yep, I figured that was an unwritten rule.

We'd never allow the driver to pay for any drinks.

I don't drink alcohol but always buy my rounds.

I don't make people buy soft drinks in pubs for me because they are ridiculously expensive, a glass of tap water does just fine.

But then I don't drive people to the pubs and if they want a lift home they leave when I am leaving, I don't wait for people.
  • MikeR71
    MikeR71 Posts: 3,852 Forumite
    Having said all this, I hate it when a group of us go out for dinner and there is always one person who orders salad in order to pay less. When it comes to the end and majority decide to split the bill equally, they say "but I only had a salad" and they put down what they think they had.

In my view this goes against the spirit of a night out with friends. If you want to be that stingy then stay home.
    I never have a problem when a friend orders a more expensive item than me because that's not the point.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure