Should my mate pay for his own pricey drinks?

Options

Comments

• dtsazza
    dtsazza Posts: 6,295 Forumite
    Options
    If it is a serious question suggest a kitty, everyone on beers puts in x and the more expensive drinkers put in proportionately more. Nobody shirks a round. But make sure you haven't chosen a venue where your friends fave drink is not unusually more expensive.
    Yes, that would work.

For safekeeping, you could store the kitty in a metal box with a sliding drawer and a seven-segment LCD display. And to make sure that the more expensive drinkers put in more, and that no-one shirked their contribution, you could have people put in the direct cost of the drink they bought each time.

Ideally you could get the pub employees to administer this, watching over your kitty and taking contributions to it every time someone ordered a drink. I reckon if you ask nicely, they might even run such a system for free. :)
  • happyinflorida
    Options
    Have a vote on it with all your friends next time you meet up - go with the majority.
  • Colin_Hunt
    Colin_Hunt Posts: 5,812 Forumite
    Options
    SailorSam wrote: »
    I always lost out when we bought rounds 'cos i was always the driver and had so little to drink,
    When our darts team goes away the driver pays for nothing.
    Works for us, anyone a bit short can volunteer to drive.
  • nhampson
    nhampson Posts: 133 Forumite
    Options
    I don't want to name the family member concerned but I used to go out with her and her husband whenever I was visiting.

Invariably, turns would be taken where just us two guys would buy. As I was driving the next day I would be on the coke while they both had black Russians. Final straw was when it was his round he bought half a coke and just "topped" their glasses.

Said something and all hell broke loose. I ended up the bad guy, apparently they couldn't really afford to go out but felt obliged when I visited.
    Opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one.
  • wiogs
    wiogs Posts: 2,744 Forumite
    Options
    gaving7095 wrote: »
    Wow does anybody really even still go to the pub any more? Why? :-)
    In my opinion he is cheeky to have a different drink every time to everyone else, he must know it's more expensive, but bring it up & you will be "that guy", so it's a no-win situation you're in I think.

Buying rounds is a pain in the bum for reasons like that, also because surely not everyone wants to either drink as many drinks or drink at the same speed as each other.

One last thing, for those citing "man laws", it makes you sound like a d-bag ;-)

I do hope that wasn't a proper question. :D
  • j.e.j.
    j.e.j. Posts: 9,672 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Coopdivi wrote: »
    You don't though do you because this is one of those daft theoretical questions from the weekly email.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/latesttip/

Here's next week's made up bollix: I've just found out my best mate is a scrounger. Should I respect our friendship and understand that unemployment can happen to anyone or would it be better to gleefully announce it on an internet messageboard populated by curmudgeonly halfwits who will dam my ex-friend to hell and recommend suicide?

:rotfl::rotfl:

Surely a contender for 'post of the week' :D
  • florere
    florere Posts: 104 Forumite
    Options
    The driver should buy the least number of rounds if things are fair.

The driver shouldn't pay for any rounds, he's doing the rest of you a favour.:beer:
  • alggomas
    alggomas Posts: 151 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well, how can a round " skyrocket " because ONE person drinks spirits?
    If you are the one complaining just buy your own drink. No one would complain. Just say your saving to buy a spirit!
  • dtsazza
    dtsazza Posts: 6,295 Forumite
    Options
    florere wrote: »
    The driver shouldn't pay for any rounds, he's doing the rest of you a favour.:beer:
    If he buys zero rounds, he stands a good chance of buying the least...
  • Buellguy
    Buellguy Posts: 629 Forumite
    Options
    alggomas wrote: »
    Well, how can a round " skyrocket " because ONE person drinks spirits?
    If you are the one complaining just buy your own drink. No one would complain. Just say your saving to buy a spirit!

Well, a pub I used to drink in about 20 years ago, landlord collected, and sold, vintage scotch. The prices (20 years ago remember) started at 50p a shot and went to IIRC £20 a shot.
    Not me though, not when there was draught Theakstons on
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport