Should my mate pay for his own pricey drinks?

Options

Comments

• j.e.j.
    j.e.j. Posts: 9,672 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    BarryBlue wrote: »
    Everybody buying their own is what women do. Getting their phone calculator out to work out a restaurant bill down to the last penny is what they do too.

It's what Germans do, too :D Each one of them goes up to the bar, gets their little leather wallet out and pays for their own drink. Times that by 5 or 10 or however many people there are in the group and it's quite time-consuming for the barman!

But then Germans aren't daft enough to be out of pocket paying for someone else's expensive drinks.
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    Proceed as normal - then when it's his round, everyone ask for cocktails, then back to beer until it's his round again ;-)
  • Cimscate
    Cimscate Posts: 145 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Vejovis wrote: »
    The last couple of times I've gone out, spirits have been cheaper than beer.

That said, you can't be very good friends if you begrudge him a few drinks.

Having often been the one drinking soft drinks but paying my 'share' for others wine, spirits etc I don't think begrudging a friend a few drinks comes into it!
  • YORKSHIRE_GUY
    Options
    You should all order a nice spirit when it's his round.
    Maybe a lovely single malt.
    He'll soon get the message.
  • jimbod888
    Options
    when its his round ask for what hes drinking, or something similar lol
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    NO, but when it comes to his round you all order drinks higher priced than his.
  • Ebenezer_Screwj
    Options
    Yes he should definitely get his own drinks. I never drink in rounds, it is a ridiculous practice because everybody has differently priced drinks and nobody drinks at the same pace.
  • poindexter
    Options
    If it is a serious question suggest a kitty, everyone on beers puts in x and the more expensive drinkers put in proportionately more. Nobody shirks a round. But make sure you haven't chosen a venue where your friends fave drink is not unusually more expensive.
    dtsazza wrote: »
    Yes, that would work.

For safekeeping, you could store the kitty in a metal box with a sliding drawer and a seven-segment LCD display. And to make sure that the more expensive drinkers put in more, and that no-one shirked their contribution, you could have people put in the direct cost of the drink they bought each time.

Ideally you could get the pub employees to administer this, watching over your kitty and taking contributions to it every time someone ordered a drink. I reckon if you ask nicely, they might even run such a system for free. :)

I can't believe this is a serious topic. Life's too short to worry about who paid what after a night out, and what to do about it. And if you think people you drink with are being so calculating just to save a pound or two, why would you want to continue drinking with them?

I'd say that most of the time it is done innocently but, if someone is consistently ducking rounds over a period of time (ordering Stella rather than Carling or the like doesn't count), then he/she should be told/humiliated by the others.

That said, I'm a miserable sod and rarely get involved in rounds, although I think I'd enjoy a pint with dstazza!
  • lizbec
    lizbec Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    I'm interested to know what kind of women Barry blue hangs out with...? I thought that kind of sexist rubbish went out with the ark.Sigh.
  • slimmer1
    slimmer1 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    You could all wait until it's his round then change your drinks to match his!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure