iPhone 6 suggestions - buy outright vs contract

Options
Hi Guys

I know its not strictly moneysaving but i've decided to treat myself and get the iPhone 6 "plus", I was planning to just pre-order it tomorrow from apple online and use my tesco SIM only contract.

Question was, do you think it may be worth waiting and seeing if theres any better deals out there with a contract? my tesco is a 30 day rolling contract so can cancel whenever I want, my thoughts are the cheapest way will be to just buy the phone outright and continue using my £12.50 tesco contract, advice appreciated :)

PS I know I can get android etc but I've decided on the product already, just a question of getting it in the best value way.

Comments

• gjchester
    gjchester Posts: 5,741 Forumite
    Options
    dellboy102 wrote: »
    Hi Guys

I know its not strictly moneysaving but i've decided to treat myself and get the iPhone 6 "plus", I was planning to just pre-order it tomorrow from apple online and use my tesco SIM only contract.

Question was, do you think it may be worth waiting and seeing if theres any better deals out there with a contract? my tesco is a 30 day rolling contract so can cancel whenever I want, my thoughts are the cheapest way will be to just buy the phone outright and continue using my £12.50 tesco contract, advice appreciated :)

PS I know I can get android etc but I've decided on the product already, just a question of getting it in the best value way.
    Apple are not known for deals. Your overall cost for a sim free and sim only contract and traditional type contract will be very close.

There will be a large demand for the new iPhone its not likely to be discounted much.
  • ramjug
    ramjug Posts: 112 Forumite
    Options
    dellboy101, i think you will save money if you buy it outright. Even if iPhone 6 is of 550£, that comes out at 23/month over the period of 24 month. (600 is 25/month over the same period) so 23 + 12.50 = 35.50£/month (cant beat that). My partner bought 5S last dec and is paying 48£/month on vodafone.

Moreover, if you have some relative/friend in US. Ask them to buy it for you over there and send it over here with most expensive postage and you will still save money even if you have to pay import duty on it.
  • secretmsg
    Options
    If you can afford to buy it outright for £619 then go for it,it will be the cheapest for you in any way, contract prices are yet not revealed but i believe the cheapest for iphone 6 plus will be £42 plus upfront..
  • watpoae
    Options
    I'm in the exact same situation. Had the money set aside for nearly a year now waiting for 6.

I don't understand why they don't know the contract prices now? Surely by announcing them now it could get them more customers as I'm just going to go straight to Apple instead of waiting for them and I'm sure a lot will do the same..
  • dellboy102
    dellboy102 Posts: 609 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 September 2014 at 6:55PM
    Options
    Exactly, never brought from apple before so not sure how quick they sell out but not going to wait for the networks to publish prices, also most likely the cheapest way as everyone also suggested will be to buy it outright and stick with my sim only contract, also have virgin media so will consider there quad package.

Any ideas on how quick it'll sell out tomorrow based on past experience? I think pre orders start at 8, was planning to look at half 9 or so
  • goosander
    Options
    As others have said, there probably won't be much in it. When I got my current iPhone, the cost difference between buying it outright and using a 30 day rolling contract SIM vs buying phone with contract was negligable but I got more inclusive minutes & data going the contract route.
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,445 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ramjug wrote: »
    dellboy101, i think you will save money if you buy it outright. Even if iPhone 6 is of 550£, that comes out at 23/month over the period of 24 month. (600 is 25/month over the same period) so 23 + 12.50 = 35.50£/month (cant beat that). My partner bought 5S last dec and is paying 48£/month on vodafone.

Moreover, if you have some relative/friend in US. Ask them to buy it for you over there and send it over here with most expensive postage and you will still save money even if you have to pay import duty on it.

Very unlikely and if so, not enough to cover buying the UK adapter.
  • cklass
    cklass Posts: 216 Forumite
    Options
    Buying outright will almost definitely be cheaper for you than a contract. When the contract tariffs are announced tomorrow, just compare them to the cost of buying outright + the cost of your rolling contract for 24 months. I doubt you'll find a contract that beats that figure, but it never hurts to double check.
    watpoae wrote: »
    I don't understand why they don't know the contract prices now? Surely by announcing them now it could get them more customers as I'm just going to go straight to Apple instead of waiting for them and I'm sure a lot will do the same..
    Contract prices are always announced on the day preorders begin, so we will know them tomorrow. This is the case not just in the UK, but across the rest of the world, too. The networks don't get a lot of information from Apple ahead of the product launch, so they need a few days to put together their tariffs and marketing. The phone doesn't go on sale anywhere until 19th September.
  • lee111s
    lee111s Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I get a 30% discount on my o2 account through friends and family. For the 5 it worked out £8 difference over the two year contract so I just went with the contracted phone. I'll do the same next week. Guaranteed to get a phone on the day too as my friend will keep one back for me, which is always nice!
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,633 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    With the iPhone it's always been better to buy outright, I've bought them that way every year and use them with sim only. It's a large saving over the year or 2, when compared to contract.

My sim only on Three costs me £15 for 2000 minutes, 5000 texts and unlimited data.
    ====
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport