Water meters - pros and cons?

Options

Comments

• space_rider
    space_rider Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    Options
    I`m severn trent. Myself, 2 adult daughters and 11 year old though 1 is at uni apart from holidays. Kids are good with not wasting the water. Washing machine 2/3 times a week, dishwasher the same and at least 3 showers daily. My water bill was £243 for the year.
  • missjy
    missjy Posts: 133 Forumite
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    That is not the RV. The RV is just in whole pounds - not pence.

It appears to be the amount you will be paying for a bill based on the RV.

Sounds like a lot considering only me & baby living there. They're coming to install the water meter next week - as the house is going to be empty for at least six months hopefully I can save me some money!
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    missjy wrote: »
    Sounds like a lot considering only me & baby living there. They're coming to install the water meter next week - as the house is going to be empty for at least six months hopefully I can save me some money!

When your water charges are based on the RV it doesn't matter how many people live in the house.
  • renegade
    renegade Posts: 1,282 Forumite
    Options
    I was wondering whether it's worth my while installing a water meter. I have just purchased a property and will spend a good few months doing it up so it will be unoccupied except for me and workmen coming in and out. I have received a bill for the whole year which is over £200. Eventually when the house is ready it will just be me and baby living there. The house is a 3 bed semi which I think will have a good RV. On Martin's article it says that if you have more people living in a house than bedrooms then it is good idea to install water meter. I was wondering what people on this forum would recommend based on their experiences? Thanks x[

I think I may have misunderstood Martin then, I thought he said 'if there are LESS people in the house than bedrooms ' a meter would be a good move.
    You live..You learn.:)
  • Mrs_Arcanum
    Mrs_Arcanum Posts: 23,976 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    renegade wrote: »
    I was wondering whether it's worth my while installing a water meter. I have just purchased a property and will spend a good few months doing it up so it will be unoccupied except for me and workmen coming in and out. I have received a bill for the whole year which is over £200. Eventually when the house is ready it will just be me and baby living there. The house is a 3 bed semi which I think will have a good RV. On Martin's article it says that if you have more people living in a house than bedrooms then it is good idea to install water meter. I was wondering what people on this forum would recommend based on their experiences? Thanks x[

I think I may have misunderstood Martin then, I thought he said 'if there are LESS people in the house than bedrooms ' a meter would be a good move.

This is the correct information. Simple arithmetic would say more people than bedrooms = more water needed.
    Truth always poses doubts & questions. Only lies are 100% believable, because they don't need to justify reality. - Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Labyrinth of the Spirits
  • Cardew
    Options
    renegade wrote: »

This is the correct information. Simple arithmetic would say more people than bedrooms = more water needed.

However that is based on the wrong assumption that 'the bigger the house the higher the RV' always applies.

It is perfectly possible to get a 8 bedroomed house with a lower RV than a 2 bed estate semi.

The majority of houses in England were assessed for Rateable Value in 1973 and the assessment was based on the notional rental value the property would command - NOT value or size.

Factors that influenced the RV assessment were the local amenities and facilities in house - i.e. Garage, CH, modern bathroom/kitchen etc.

Some old terraced houses that were completely unmodernised in 1973 and in an 'undesirable' location have a very low RV, but because they have now been modernised, and the area developed have a high Council Tax banding.
  • amorge
    amorge Posts: 386 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, hoping someone can give me advice on this:
    1 adult & 2 teenage girls in Petersfield, Hampshire
    South East Water provide the water and I pay them £25.79 a month (over 10 mths)
    Southern Water sort out sewage and I pay £36.50 a month (over 12 mths)

Weekly consumption:
    3 baths (max)
    13 showers
    5 washing machine
    6 dishwasher
    6 cups of tea/coffee a day

This is the max we use, I probably use washing mating less some weeks but want to be realistic

When I last spoke to the water company they advised against getting a meter. I have just posted my SOA on another board and have had lots of comments on how high my water bills are. Is it worth me going on a meter? South East Water have said I will have 12 mths to change my mind but as I will only get billed every 6mths I will have base my decision on 1 bill

Any help would be great,
    Thanks
    LBM 18/06/15 - [STRIKE]£20,276.64[/STRIKE] :eek:
    01/07/15 - £19,897.02
  • Gothicfairy
    Gothicfairy Posts: 3,060 Forumite
    Options
    You will have 2 bills as it is actually 12 months (2 bills ) although they don't tell you that..lol
    There is a race of men that don't fit in; A race that can't stand still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will.

Robert Service
  • amorge
    amorge Posts: 386 Forumite
    Options
    You will have 2 bills as it is actually 12 months (2 bills ) although they don't tell you that..lol

But surely I'll have to have cancelled by the time the 2nd 12 month bill comes?
    LBM 18/06/15 - [STRIKE]£20,276.64[/STRIKE] :eek:
    01/07/15 - £19,897.02
  • Cardew
    Options
    amorge wrote: »
    Hi, hoping someone can give me advice on this:
    1 adult & 2 teenage girls in Petersfield, Hampshire
    South East Water provide the water and I pay them £25.79 a month (over 10 mths)
    Southern Water sort out sewage and I pay £36.50 a month (over 12 mths)

Weekly consumption:
    3 baths (max)
    13 showers
    5 washing machine
    6 dishwasher
    6 cups of tea/coffee a day

This is the max we use, I probably use washing mating less some weeks but want to be realistic

When I last spoke to the water company they advised against getting a meter. I have just posted my SOA on another board and have had lots of comments on how high my water bills are. Is it worth me going on a meter? South East Water have said I will have 12 mths to change my mind but as I will only get billed every 6mths I will have base my decision on 1 bill

Any help would be great,
    Thanks

After 6 months(or at any time) you can check how much water you have used by reading meter and work out from their website how much your annual bill will be at that rate of consumption.

3 people should use on average approx 180 cubic metres a year.* Look up the price per cu mtr of water, sewerage(called used water) and standing charges and you will get a pretty good estimate of your likely metered charges.

*Many people manage to use consideranly less.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback