Water meters - pros and cons?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Water Bills
594 replies 361.9K views

Replies

• CardewCardew Forumite
    28.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of those who tried moving from RV to Meter did anyone move back to RV after/within 12 months?

Did the online water usage calculators reflect actual use after a meter was fitted?

Is uSwitch the best calculator or is it better to ask your water supplier?

How longs a piece of string!?:cool:

The average consumption is about 55 cubic metres, per person per year. So use that as a baseline.
  • DollardogDollardog Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure that I would be a lot better off with a water meter as I live on my own, have no dishwasher, washing machine, hose pipe etc.
    Can anyone tell me though, do they have to come into the house to fit the meter?
    Can they fit one outside without having to come in? I work during the week and don't always know if I'd be around when/if they need to come in and I don't like leaving my key with neighbours.
    I'd rather have the meter outside anyway.
    Who reads the meter, do you do it yourself or do they send meter readers round like the energy companies?
  • You need to apply for a meter and the inspector will come round and see where the meter can go. No one here can tell you as it depends on your pipe work.

You can read the meter yourself where ever it is but the water company MUST read it once every 18 months or the fails on their OFWAT agreement and can be fined, or they apply for a warrant of entry etc
    There is a race of men that don't fit in; A race that can't stand still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will.

Robert Service
  • I must be one of the only people who finds water meters expensive.
    I live in a 2 bed maisionette with my husband and 10 month old son, wouldnt say we use silly amounts of water, the washing machine uses the most i guess with my sons clothes washing etc.
    United Utilities set our monthly DD at £52.80 per month when we moved in last year and i think this quite a lot, not had a bill yet to see what our usage is yet though.
    I have always found RV to be much cheaper in our area and we are moving home next week to a house on RV so it will be interesting to see the difference in cost.

Has anyone else found this and do you think £52.80 per month is a lot?
  • i have a water meter and i am still paying to much. iam a sngle person living in a one bedroom flat and iam paying £51 pm. so water meters arent necessarily cheaper
  • Hey simplyredhead. It should be free of charge, UNLESS you have a meter and you are thinking to change the location of meter somewhere else. That will incur some costs. If this is your first time, you should not be paying any penny.

Hope this helps :cool:

This is correct. I work for UN named water company in billing. As per ofwat you should not be charged at all for having a meter. The companys want to fit meters internal to the prop so it reduces crossed/shared meters and if leak happens past the meter it becomes cust responsibility. However if customer states they want meter outside not in, there is a charge for this in the form of a survey... It the water company determines it cannot be possibly fitted inside and needs to go outside (their choice) again it's free of charge. If the companies trying to charge you and the above is not correct speak to ofwat!
  • CardewCardew Forumite
    28.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the companies trying to charge you and the above is not correct speak to ofwat!

Probably better speaking to the Consumer Council for Water
  • This is correct. I work for UN named water company in billing. As per ofwat you should not be charged at all for having a meter. The companys want to fit meters internal to the prop so it reduces crossed/shared meters and if leak happens past the meter it becomes cust responsibility. However if customer states they want meter outside not in, there is a charge for this in the form of a survey... It the water company determines it cannot be possibly fitted inside and needs to go outside (their choice) again it's free of charge. If the companies trying to charge you and the above is not correct speak to ofwat!

Not sure I believe this as the water companies I have dealt with in the past have wanted to fit external where ever possible as it reduces the DG8 warrant reading problems and it also means that appointments are not required for replacements or work.

I have never known of meters to cost from the water company but it can if fitted privately IE new build or sub alt
    Meter refits cost money and are sorted out with an appointment.

I would double check what is being charge for or what they are suggesting the charge is for as there might be more to it .
    There is a race of men that don't fit in; A race that can't stand still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will.

Robert Service
  • pinkteapotpinkteapot Forumite
    7.1K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    bunhead99 wrote: »
    i have a water meter and i am still paying to much. iam a sngle person living in a one bedroom flat and iam paying £51 pm. so water meters arent necessarily cheaper

You need to look into this as it sounds very high for one person (unless you have a bath every day). My husband and I live in a four bed house and our water (on a meter) costs £21 a month...
  • pinkteapot wrote: »
    You need to look into this as it sounds very high for one person (unless you have a bath every day). My husband and I live in a four bed house and our water (on a meter) costs £21 a month...

You are lucky only paying £21 a month. I am on a meter (only me and hubby in a small 1 bed flat) and our DD has gradually crept up from £27 a month in 2009 to £49 a month. We have been paying £36 a month for a while and got a bill around a month ago saying "good news, we are keeping your DD at £36, then this morning a new bill drops on the mat saying they are upping it to £49 a month. One hell of an increase :mad: