Forum Home» Energy» Water Bills

Water meters - pros and cons? - Page 60

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Water meters - pros and cons?

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Water Bills
594 replies 362.9K views
1545556575860»

Replies

• edited 20 May at 2:12PM
    notionalnotional Forumite
    34 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 20 May at 2:12PM
    I live on my own in a one bed flat, which is the top half of a house. Thames Water is my supplier.
    I read that as a single person it's usually worth getting a meter, and if it's found to be not technically possible to fit one, you get put on a permanent discounted tariff.  This is absolutely true: it was not possible to fit a meter as the pipes are inaccessible (I had guessed this before the engineer visited).  My water bill got reduced from £23.45 to £21.77 a month.  :D
    I believe this is true for all suppliers, but do check.
  • CardewCardew Forumite
    28.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    notional said:
    I live on my own in a one bed flat, which is the top half of a house. Thames Water is my supplier.
    I read that as a single person it's usually worth getting a meter, and if it's found to be not technically possible to fit one, you get put on a permanent discounted tariff.  This is absolutely true: it was not possible to fit a meter as the pipes are inaccessible (I had guessed this before the engineer visited).  My water bill got reduced from £23.45 to £21.77 a month.  :D
    I believe this is true for all suppliers, but do check.
    If a customer applies for a water meter, and one cannot be fitted,  all customers regardless of number of occupants, must be offered an 'Assessed Charge'. Whilst a fixed charge, this is not a discounted charge, although it usually is considerably cheaper for single occupants.
    All water companies have differing methods to calculate the assessed charge. For instance Severn Trent use the type of property as the basis i.e. detached house, semi-detached, terraced or flat. The Assessed Charge for Thames Water is on the basis of number of bedrooms. In addition allcompanies offer a single person rate.

• RobM99RobM99 Forumite
    467 posts
    100 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Probably already mentioned (I'm not trawling through 60 pages!) but water companies will have an on-line calculator. Dead simple to do.
  • RobM99RobM99 Forumite
    467 posts
    100 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Following on a friend (a lady I'm wooing - but without luck!) has done the above calculation and her water bill would go from £660 a year to £300.   May I say...

Boom!