Forum Home» Energy» Water Bills

Water meters - pros and cons? - Page 31

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Water meters - pros and cons?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Water Bills
592 replies 361.6K views

Replies

• Old wives tale. If you ask to be metered they will provide. If you dont - they wont. Simples.

Actually that is not quite true, some companies do meter on change of occupier(they all have the legal right). Also if the property is changed by 50% ie house into 2 flats then it should also have a meter fitted no matter what the houseowner say's. Oh and if you have a pool you must have a meter and one will be fitted again without request.
    There is a race of men that don't fit in; A race that can't stand still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will.

Robert Service
  • JR87JR87 Forumite
    12 posts
    Also if the property is changed by 50% ie house into 2 flats then it should also have a meter fitted no matter what the houseowner say's. Oh and if you have a pool you must have a meter and one will be fitted again without request.

this is dependant on water company, 50% is variable quite massively, i.e if u have a small extension less then 50% change your required to have a meter with some companies
  • I have not heard of any water company metering due to a small extension as Sub Alt does seem to be 50% or change of use..But then that's not to say it hasn't happened but I can't help wondering how they would know.
    There is a race of men that don't fit in; A race that can't stand still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will.

Robert Service
  • deannatroisdeannatrois Forumite
    7.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have to laugh.., I have clobbered myself slightly in my efforts to save money. I have moved from Wolverhampton to Kent. In Wolverhampton I had a water meter put in and immediately found my water charges were more than halved. So when I moved to Kent, to a similiarly low value property, I asked the local water company to put a meter in. The monthy charges (for a three bed house) were £26.., now they are over £30 lol. Not a huge difference but not what I was expecting as my useage hasn't changed at all. In Wolves I was paying £20 a month or less (yes i have checked the meter doesn't move when I am not using water so no hidden leaks). I can only assume water is a lot more expensive here somehow.

Ooopsy lol.
  • CardewCardew Forumite
    28.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to laugh.., I have clobbered myself slightly in my efforts to save money. I have moved from Wolverhampton to Kent. In Wolverhampton I had a water meter put in and immediately found my water charges were more than halved. So when I moved to Kent, to a similiarly low value property, I asked the local water company to put a meter in. The monthy charges (for a three bed house) were £26.., now they are over £30 lol. Not a huge difference but not what I was expecting as my useage hasn't changed at all. In Wolves I was paying £20 a month or less (yes i have checked the meter doesn't move when I am not using water so no hidden leaks). I can only assume water is a lot more expensive here somehow.

Ooopsy lol.

Water and sewerage charges vary a great deal across the UK - the South West paying well over double some other regions.

If you had the meter installed less than 12 months ago you can revert to charges based on Rateable Value(RV) but that might not be any cheaper.

Are you paying for Surface Water Drainage?(water from gutters etc entering sewer) You might be able to claim relief from that element.
  • brenda50brenda50 Forumite
    291 posts
    Sorry don`t want to plough through thread, but can I have a meter installed in an upstairs flat?
  • brenda50 wrote: »
    Sorry don`t want to plough through thread, but can I have a meter installed in an upstairs flat?

You might be able to but it is in your intrest to ask to have one fitted whether it is possible or not. Ask to have a meter installed and if you can't have one you should get moved to an assesed rate whereby you will pay less than what you currently do.
    There's no sense crying over every mistake.
    You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
    291 posts
    Thanks! Also is it right that a 1 year tenancy means that the landlord does not have to be consulted? Thanks
  • CardewCardew Forumite
    28.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    brenda50 wrote: »
    Thanks! Also is it right that a 1 year tenancy means that the landlord does not have to be consulted? Thanks

Correct the landlord doesn't need to be consulted; albeit many have a clause in their rental agreement forbidding a meter change. IMO it wouldn't stand up in law in the unlikely event of them getting upset.
    291 posts
    There is no clause so off I go to arrange a meter! Thanks