Spent 4 years pretending it's all OK

Options

Comments

• NoOneAround
    NoOneAround Posts: 1,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 25 February 2019 at 9:16PM
    Options
    Thanks Cherry, all your comments are spot on.....
    So I've made a decision as today they came back with a 12% up on offer made before half term, as I had left it with them that I was overqualified and could offer much more in terms of skills etc etc etc, so to cut a long story short I will say yes, they will tweak role to fit slightly better and to enable justification etc.
    If I give it a year or 2, I will have a basic guaranteed income of 19K actual (~24FTE) which together with DH's covers our needs. If we carry on SE between us at a lower level that will be a bonus.

My only worry is loss of flexibility to be able to help mum, but I think I 'll have to deal with that as and when.
    Anyway, feel relieved now I have made a decision.

Other worries simmering in the background but need to get some paperwork done urgently , so will leave that for another day.
    Hope all well, vitual hug to all :grouphug:

NOA
    x
    Feb2014 Total unsecured debt £72,520>>01/06/16 £68166>01/02/17 £66,600=8.18%PAID
    Mortgage Jan14=209,800 Jan15=£200,300 Jan17£180,700>OCT17 £170,200
    Health/Fitness Challenges Priority#1 Stay Fit and healthy - whatever it takes:)
    Wombling Free Cash May2016 £51
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Well done on the job offer and that sounds like a good salary to me :T. I agree with Cherry that you may need to be occupied after DS goes to uni. Empty nest syndrome is striking me at the moment and I still have one at home full time and one at home most of the time! You will get the school holidays to spend time with family, regular money is always worth it's weight in gold and you say the job isn't at all stressful. So I think you've made the right decision to accept it.

I hope DH is enjoying his new job and not finding it stressful :).
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,130 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    They must really like you. :)
    It will obviously take some pressure off, which is great, but it's nice too that it won't take all your time so you will have some for yourself, your SE and your mum. If necessary you could cut yourself a bit of slack with the salary so that if you need to cut corners from time to time (ready meals/takeaways, coffee on the go, the occasional treat etc.), you can do it without feeling bad.
    I think a bit of a celebration might just be justified. ;)
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • NoOneAround
    Options
    Just finished paperwork - exhausted :(

Thank you for supporting my decision Hairy and Cherry! As everyone keeps telling me if needn't be forever. I haven't worked fixed hours for 17 years except on temp contracts which I don't have to accept, so I am feeling a bit "trapped" but relieved as well.

Will be away for a trip with mum to see relatives. Worried at the moment because she has an urgent referral - really bad timing and feeling stressed trying to juggle that in to work and trip, and DS doing mocks and DD having an important interview all in the next few days. Just trying to get all bills/creditors updated etc so nothing goes pear shaped while I'm away.

Just had a creditor trying to settle one debt for 35% of actual value. still not sure what I think about F&F's but its very tempting to start putting money aside.

Best get to bed before I get carried away with the rambling through random thoughts.

Nite Nite
    NOA
    x
    Feb2014 Total unsecured debt £72,520>>01/06/16 £68166>01/02/17 £66,600=8.18%PAID
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Good news re the job :) The 'regular' hours may just be what you need...routine and restrictions can focus the mind.........and then there are the school hols to re group ;)
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • NoOneAround
    Options
    Hello :)
    Thanks Igamogam. I have started in new role - some :mad: moments which I'm sure will continue to be fairly frequent - but I'm going to let it all wash over me and try not to think of this as my "career" job ie always give 110%+ .
    Pretty tired in the evenings, find it hard to do anything else much. Will need to use Easter hols to get on top of things at home.

All is good I think - feel fairly positive though work might need some careful navigation not to tread on toes of an insecure colleague but equally get credit for improvements where due - it will be tricky -
    also just need DD to this job she's applied for - she's got through to last stage now fingers crossed.
    Thought I'd write a bit more but words aren't flowing so I'll try later this week.
    Happy spring :)
    NOA
    x
  • Igamogam
    edited 10 March 2019 at 5:42PM
    Options
    work might need some careful navigation not to tread on toes of an insecure colleague but equally get credit for improvements where due - it will be tricky -

Ooooo I have met that one except in my case its The Idiot in Charge that is insecure and leans heavily........and unfortunately they take credit for any improvements :mad: However I now adopt a bit of mindfulness and let it pass. I am technically able to retire ( debt busting pending) in next couple of years where they need to continue...........no I am not being smug its just at this stage of the proceedings I dont need the recognition!!

Remember self care NOA

Its still winter here BTW and will be until 21 March IMO :rotfl:
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
  • NoOneAround
    Options
    Ditto - Igamogam - it is my line manager :rotfl: I don't feel I need the recognition in particular but it's frustrating when the fact is you are the driving force.....when from a list of urgent items to do , they pick the lowest priority that will have the least impact on productivity/efficiency/progress and they want you to help them..... when all you want to do is the real work that will make a difference in the long run.....

Another major disaster - my car has died - will cost too much to repair so another urgent essential purchase needed :(
    3 steps forward and 4 back. I have been worried about it for a while - long term intermittent problem that was never diagnosed but clearly affected function, - perhaps this is the manifestation of that?

Take a deep breath, what will be will be and onwards and upwards. At least the regular income will help. Without sitting and working it all out (spreadsheet needs updating) we'll have more or less enough for all outgoing regular commitments from employment and any SE will cover extras.

Getting sleepy, best be off to bed.
    NOA
    x
  • Igamogam
    Options

I have been worried about it for a while - long term intermittent problem that was never diagnosed but clearly affected function, - perhaps this is the manifestation of that?
    Ditto NOA!!

But I am in dispute with dealership - car developed fault during warranty period - they claim they cant find a fault/ cant fix it but its not damaging engine........ !!!!!!. Official complaint made to head office and and awaiting reply.........if not I will escalate to ombudsman :mad:
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,130 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Oh no! to both cars and managers - rotten luck. I hope you both get some positives tomorrow.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport