Jealousy of Motability car

Options

Comments

• TOBRUK
    TOBRUK Posts: 2,343 Forumite
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Apart from telling them the above, perhaps they don't realise that you get the car instead of cash. I know people who thought that, if you got certain benefits, that you were entitled to a car as well.

I personally don't have a 'motability' car - I currently have a 1996 automatic astra (on it's last legs now and will need to change it soon!) which I bought in 1997 - I paid for the adaption myself. I am disabled and I do meet the criteria for a 'motabilty' car.

As Mojisola stated, the 'motability' car is on 'lease' which you pay for out of your disabitiy benefit! It is not a free car! Instead of receiving your mobility benefit, it goes to pay for the car lease!!

It is up to the individual whether they want to lease a car from the 'motability' scheme. When my 1996 model finally has to go to the scrapyard, after doing the sums etc I have again decided to get a second hand car and have it adapted myself.
    N9eave - I don't think that owning the car is relevant. It's the fact of being able to use a new car and not have to pay any finance, road tax or insurance.
    You do pay finance - it is a lease and you pay for this out of your benefit entitlement, it is not a free car!
    mrsp89: Unfortunately I do think its the ones that cheat the system that give everyone else a bad name ... i know one man who does have a mobility car, and I agree he needs it - the problem is he cant drive so his 'friend' is on the insurance so that he can drive him around - problem is he only drives him around about once a week - the rest of the time he is driving around in a brand new VW for nothing!
    Some 'friend' if true! the 'friend' may be driving around 'for nothing', but the man who has the 'motability' car is paying for the lease, and if he only needs the car once a week it's a very expensive car when you consider the lease plus fuel - if he only goes out once a week he could pay a friend petrol money to take him somewhere rather than pay a lease - or even get a taxi!

I do agree that there are unbelievable cases where it spoils it for those who are genuine. The motability scheme enables those with difficulties with disabilbities/illness to get out into the community when they want and need to by meeting the criteria of leasing a car.

If you decide to take a motability car the cost of the 'lease' depends on make and model of the vehicle. For me the cheapest motability car would work out around £54 a week (taken from my benefit) and yes, you change the vehicle every 3 years but it is still on lease!

One thing I really don't understand is how does everyone know other peoples' business - that someone is in receipt of disability benefit anyway and that it is a 'motability' car?!

I don't tell people that I receive DLA, and I don't discuss my finances and private business with anyone - not even over the years I worked before I became ill! However, if someone does know, or think they know ... it is none of their business. People don't know anyone's circumstances unless you tell them!

Everyone seems to be obsessed about what everyone else has, if someone has a new car they want to know all your business ...how much was it .... how did you pay for it ... where did you get it .. how, why etc!

As others have stated here, a MOTABILITY CAR' IS NOT A 'FREE CAR' it is on a weekly lease and the benefit money (they are entitled to and receive) is taken to pay the lease - which isn't cheap!!

Those who are in good health and able bodied who are in work these days, many are also in receipt of benefits! Years ago (Thatcher years especially) when there was high unemployment, if you were in work and found it hard to make ends meet there were no top up benefits. I had two jobs just to get by. Anyway ... sorry for the rant ... I digress!! ;)
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    TOBRUK wrote: »
    One thing I really don't understand is how does everyone know other peoples' business - that someone is in receipt of disability benefit anyway and that it is a 'motability' car?!

I don't understand this either. I have a vague idea that the tax disc (or rather, something on the tax disc) is different which implies your car is exempt from tax due to disability.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • jazabelle
    jazabelle Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    Options
    Indie_Kid wrote: »
    I don't understand this either. I have a vague idea that the tax disc (or rather, something on the tax disc) is different which implies your car is exempt from tax due to disability.

Yes, the tax disc says disabled, but still doesn't mean it's a Motability car. The tax disc is a separate entitlement, and I had one of those on my 13 year old ford fiesta, before I became an electric wheelchair user and needed a much larger car for the hoist.

So people would only know it's got a disabled tax class if they were nosy enough to peer in the window at the small letters that say so.
    "There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so powerful as expectation of something better tomorrow." - Orison Swett Marden
  • Horseunderwater
    Options
    And soon they will not know that - new car tax rules - no disc.
    I too have a dis disc, but since it's 14 years old, it cannot be a mot car ! We need to replace it, but I hope to get a lower tax class, negating need for free dis disc. That depends on me getting an ill health ret pension.
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,950 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    disability envy is quite widespread.
    its funny though ...
    people only want the 'perks ( trading MONEY for a car... so not 'free' or queue jumping at theme parks)
    theyre not so keen on adopting the recipients disability though!
    theres very few positives in being blind ... but allowing my grandbabies to queue jump at alton towers is very satisfying ;)
  • SandraScarlett
    Options
    You will always find folk who will view the pain, disability or anguish of another, as being lucky. It's jealousy, and will always exist.

When I'm pottering about in my front garden, many neighbours stop to ask how my husband is. It's 3 months since he went into a Care Home, with advanced Alzheimer's, which first appeared 11 years ago.

Whilst I was chatting with one of them today, a delivery arrived. When the neighbour heard what I was signing for, she informed me how lucky I was. What was being delivered to make her so envious? A diamond ring? A new car? Free food?

No, I was signing for 12 weeks supply of ........................ incontinence pants!!!! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: After years of battling to get these supplied by the NHS, who would originally only offer pads for our Health Authority, my request was granted. For some ridiculous reason, some areas offer both, and some will only offer pads, which are not as secure, so I'd been buying the pants myself for my husband.

xx
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,950 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    hope youre getting on an even keel Sabdra ... i can only imagine who difficult the past few weeks have been for you and your husband.
    quiye probably harder for you than him hopefully.
    my thoughts are with you and i sincerely wish you all the best
  • kb_soma
    kb_soma Posts: 270 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    ingey.uk wrote: »
    After fighting the Atoss (Don't Give ATOSS) and DWP for Over 18 months

My Wife was finally awarded PIP at the Enhanced rate
    my local council told me first by issuing me a new Council Tax Bill

anyway we got the ok for the new car finally great news our car died on Saturday :mad:

I heard from a close friend that "Friends" of ours are wingeing about how "Lucky" we are we got a "Free" car

Has anybody else experienced jealousy like this?

It's not a free car, I wish people would understand this!
    LBM: NOVEMBER 2011 || debt free date:30/06/15 || The Fighting Debt Army: #442 || Frugal Living Challenge 2018 || January 2018 Grocery £1.22/£100 ||
  • sandy_smith_2
    Options
    If you are sad and nosy enough then it's quite easy to find out if a car is leased through motability or not.

For example, just enter the vehicle number plate here.

http://fleetbooking.kwik-fit.com/tyre-search.asp?a=N3228S&sec=7197

jazabelle wrote: »
    Yes, the tax disc says disabled, but still doesn't mean it's a Motability car. The tax disc is a separate entitlement, and I had one of those on my 13 year old ford fiesta, before I became an electric wheelchair user and needed a much larger car for the hoist.

So people would only know it's got a disabled tax class if they were nosy enough to peer in the window at the small letters that say so.
    if i had known then what i know now
  • kingfisherblue
    Options
    I think my neighbours probably know that our car is a Motability vehicle. After all, how else would a single mum of three, with no paid employment, afford a new car every three years?

Mind you, I'm not overly bothered about what my neighbours think about me, my family, or my situation. Most are fine, but next door objected strongly when we needed a downstairs bathroom adding on to the side of our house. It doesn't affect them, but they were very vocal about how wrong it was for us to get the bathroom (actually a wet room). Obviously they weren't concerned about my son's needs. It cost over a month's wages, with the majority of the cost covered by a Disabled Facilities Grant, and that money was hard for us to find. (I was still married at the time and my husband was working full time, so it is his wages that I am referring to). I used to avoid going out for quite a while, just so that they didn't come out and shout at me. These days I am not quite as sensitive and would be able to stand up for myself, but I used to be incredibly shy and lacked confidence.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure