🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Scottish independence

Options

Comments

• jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,694 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Archi_Bald wrote: »
    The scary thing is that so many people appear to believe the half truths. I often wonder why so many people in Scotland don't seem to have heard that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't true.

Maybe I need to post my sig a bit more :)
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • kingrulzuk
    kingrulzuk Posts: 1,330 Forumite
    Options
    Voted YES :)
    What happens if you push this button?
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Fair enough but no one believes the promises from London based parties re further devolution powers.

So a party that represents in total a small minority that live within the UK are going to demand special rights. Sounds like a Scargill scenario all over again. ;)
  • benalder284
    Options
    Archi_Bald wrote: »
    The scary thing is that so many people appear to believe the half truths. I often wonder why so many people in Scotland don't seem to have heard that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't true.

As a Scot, I am desperately hoping that the silent majority are seeing through the half-truths and assertions; but it is feeling scarily close
  • moneyfoolish
    Options
    DavidF wrote: »
    Now I know fine well that Scotland is not "in the clear" here BUT can I just point out something to all these people who feel they will move all their cash out of scottish companies in the event of a Yes vote.
    1. The Uk as a whole has a £750 BILLION pension black hole....Not great
    2. The Uk as a whole has - just over £1 TRILLION worth of deb to its name ....if you take in future liabilities it is actually closer to £4 Trillion
    Now the old currency argument is going towards a "let us use the £ or we have no debt as part the "divorce" - So the UK looses all the Scottish tax and cost's its own businesses 500m (estimate) to just continue to sell goods and services to Scotland.
    Still looking good to move all your cash to R-UK ?
    In reality all of this is just hysteria by people who frankly don't have much of a clue about what will happen and what choices they will have even if the wanted to move all their cash/pensions ect. It really is pretty tiresome seeing people continually threaten to spit their dummy out over a vote that may or may not effect them personally.
    Abby National is owned by one of them silly Euro using companies and they are the Spanish santander group.....so the currency issues don't seem to have frozen their £££ in their cashpoints, Is having your cash in a Scottish institution going to be any different ? What happens when Martin Lewis comes on here in 5 years time declaring Scotland to have the best return for investments ect ? Will you write to your pension provider whoever they are and demand they do not touch Scottish business with your pension pot ?
    All the while the majority of the UK still think they subsidize Scotland.....So why not get us off the books then lol....after all it's pure business sense isn't it ?
    Probably because even the twerps who supposedly run our country have more loyalty to Britain than to ditch Scotland even if it is a liability in financial terms!
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,896 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    What happens under a scenario where the Scots vote Aye and then Labour with 40-odd Scottish MPs narrowly win the 2015 Westminster election ?

It's be more interesting if the Scots voted Naw, didn't get Devo Max, and voted in a majority of SNP MPs. By even Maggie Thatcher's reckoning a simple majority using FPTP would democratically entitle them to claim a mandate for independence and start negotiations.;)
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • irm
    irm Posts: 133 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As a Scot, I am desperately hoping that the silent majority are seeing through the half-truths and assertions; but it is feeling scarily close

Right there with you.
  • HAMISH_MCTAVISH
    Options

That the polls are as close as they are shows quite clearly that far too many people have been taken in by the nationalist lies.
    “The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie – deliberate, contrived, and dishonest – but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.

Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”

-- President John F. Kennedy”
  • planteria
    planteria Posts: 5,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    it's drawing close now...and i think there is less coverage being given to the matter than there should be. i expect 'No'. i hope 'Yes'.
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    That the polls are as close as they are shows quite clearly that far too many people have been taken in by the nationalist lies.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

If you're too ill informed to realise that it is Nationalists only that want independence, you're going to be surprised on 19th. Labour, Greens and a few Tories are voting YES.

Westminster can go hang - we've had enough.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport