🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

I am such an idiot! When will I learn?

Options

Comments

• judi24
    judi24 Posts: 2,272 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    yes I pay for everything and I also have my youngest DD3 who lives with me all the time - he doesnt pay anything for her at all! Its all so stressful even talking to him about money and to be honestI am not sure I have the energy just now to start another fight! Once my son settles back into school with us having shared care then I will broach this subject with him but we need to sort the shared care out first. I get the child benefit for both kids and at the moment he is disputing that saying he should have my DS's share - tried explaining that it goes on stuff for him (£300 school trip for example) but he is agrguing he needs it for travel to bring him to school as he lives about 15 miles away.

I thought recycling the phone was a good idea as it is a good phone (galaxy s3) and she would be happy with it! But will look for cheaper ones before i decide! I would at least of made use of my phone insurance too before I cancel it!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I suggest you see what you would get for the phone, if you sell it.

If it's in the dozens/hundreds of pounds range, sell it and buy your daughter a simple, cheap phone.
  • judi24
    Options
    Thats a good idea Bedsit Bob! Didn't think of that!

Just been up in my DD1room - she moved out in August to start a job on the other side of the country! My DD3 is going to move into the room as she is currently in the box room - but I needed to sort out the bits she left behind and pack them up - her room reminds me of how indulgent I have let them be - it is full of 'stuff' that has come from very expensive shops - granted I didn't buy it as she has worked part time since she was 16 buts its obscene how much unused unwanted 'stuff' she has left behind! Also found a load of presents that she obviously has recieved that haven't been opened and I am thinking about aquiring to regift - is that naughty? I am sure she doesnt even know they are there and she certainly doesn't appear to want them!

I have obviously not given my kids a very good lesson in relation to money as she has so much stuff but has also got a student loan and an overdraft that could of been a lot less if she hadn't wasted so much money! - feeling very sad!
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Options
    Presents she hasn't even opened?! I would ask before regifting but wow.
  • judi24
    Options
    I mean gift sets she hasn't opened - and she rang today and said i was wellcome to them! This is great there a few nice sets - the thing is she used to work in an upmarket toiletary store so go lots of freebies of very nice stuff and lots of discount so she used to use them. There are a few bits that would go in a hamper for my mum and also things that would be great for sending into school for raffle prizes and teachers gifts etc. It all helps cut the cost of Christmas!

However I met with my ex about my son and we have agreed a trial of a shared care arrangement where he has him for 2 weeks and I have him for 2 weeks. We didnt talk about money except him asking for the child benefit - i pointed out that the child benefit is spent on the kids and he said if he had it he would take over unoform buying etc. But he also siad my son has no PE kit and rugby kit at his and it appears to be lost - so I am going to have to replace that before Thurs and also pay the £75 outstanding for his school trip as ex refused to pay anything!!!
  • judi24
    Options
    Well replaced PE kit but managed to find trainers and rugby boots that will do to start the term - in the past I would just of replaced them! Son is adamant rugby kit is at his dads but his dad hasn't replied when I asked him to look again! DS has rugby training first day back so if kit has not been found by tomorrow I will have to replace it!

I also bought rabbit food today 20k for £16 with free delivery so that should last us a few months and a lot cheaper than the pet superstore and bought DD3 some 11+ papers for £8.99 so we will do them rather than going to the Tutor at £15 a time for the next 3 weeks.

Brings my monthly spend to £217 leaving me with £233 for the rest of the month and its only the 2nd!!!! but hopefully most of the big expenses are done except the birthday meal!

Going to get eyes tested and get new glasses on Friday - but this will be covered by my health insurance that gets taken at source from my current salary not sure whether to continue with it when I change jobs so want to get the benefit out of it now! Will have to pay upfront but the claim process is quick and will be back in my bank within a week so not going to class that as a spend.

Tonight DS has a friend round and asked for money to go get sweets. I gave him the last 70p in my purse and I know in the past I would of jumped into the car and gone to shops wasting both fuel and money to get them sweets - made them popcorn instead which I seems to have lots of! Must of been on offer at some point!
  • judi24
    Options
    Other money saving thoughts today - email came to send meter readings and I realised I hadn't even registered properly with energy company let alone kept an eye on bills etc - did meter readins today and registered - reviewed my consumption and unsurprisingly it is huge in the winter and very low in the summer - but I have made a real effort this summer to not use tumble dryer and obviously heating has been off - got me thinking about trying to reduce fuel consumption over the winter so nipped over to OS boards to look at ideas for winter preparation. Going to really look at how we use the heating this year and try to be a little more carefull and also try to not use dryer as much - need to invest in a new clothes horse - we seem to produce so much washing - 4 loads today - granted DD2 cleaned her room befor going on holiday and I have cleaned DD3 and DS rooms too - but in the winter it is so hard to get things dry in the house!
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    Options
    judi24 wrote: »
    Other money saving thoughts today - email came to send meter readings and I realised I hadn't even registered properly with energy company let alone kept an eye on bills etc - did meter readins today and registered - reviewed my consumption and unsurprisingly it is huge in the winter and very low in the summer - but I have made a real effort this summer to not use tumble dryer and obviously heating has been off - got me thinking about trying to reduce fuel consumption over the winter so nipped over to OS boards to look at ideas for winter preparation. Going to really look at how we use the heating this year and try to be a little more carefull and also try to not use dryer as much - need to invest in a new clothes horse - we seem to produce so much washing - 4 loads today - granted DD2 cleaned her room befor going on holiday and I have cleaned DD3 and DS rooms too - but in the winter it is so hard to get things dry in the house!

I just bought one of the heated airers from Lakeland as they had 20% off over the bank holiday. I am pleased so far. It is not a miracle worker, but it really heats up the room. In winter I will definitely be able to use my electric heater less when I have the airer on.

Why do you do 4 loads of washing every day? Are people putting stuff in the wash after only one wear? I really think we wash clothes too frequently now. I have a friend who will wash a cardigan that she has only worn for a few hours and was worn over a top!
  • Anoneemoose
    Options
    Just wanted to wish you luck Judi. I have been following this from the start. Keep updating!
  • judi24
    Options
    Thanks Hermia I don't have 4 loads every day - but my DD2 had cleaned her room before going on holiday, I had sorted DD1 and DD3 room and DS room and found towels and things that had been dumped that needed washing and as weather was good I just kept washing! The day before I did 3 beds and today will do last 2 beds. Also want to wash all the throws while weather is good and dog bedding.
    My DD2 works in a sports shop and wears heavy joggers and sweatshirts everyday which are a nightmare to dry - she has a habit of realising at 10 pm that she need uniform for the next day and uses dryer! They take ages in the dryer too! I like the sound of the heated airer but is it energy efficienet as it's still electric?

The kids do have a habit of just dumping stuff in thier rooms after wearing once then putting it all out for washing when they tidy thier rooms - I need to get on top of getting them to tidy up as they go along rather than waiting till thier rooms get bad. I also exepect them to put clean clothes away and they are often shoved in drawers or under beds!

Thanks for sending me luck Anoneemoose - I will need it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport