* Breaking The Habit.... Hopefully.

Options

Comments

• scubaangel
    scubaangel Posts: 6,600 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Yay for the eating habits working well today.

Bigger yay for the joint account working well.

Jogging/walking yup pretty much, the bigger burns come from running faster for longer distances, so def protect the joints, but thats not to say at some point you shouldnt give it a try. Of course I only take in to account the actual time out exersizing - when I run I need to shower afterwards and with my hair that means a good additional hour added to the workout times itself.

Boo to the gluten thing. There are alot of different things which are gluten free, I know my local Mr S has a fairly comprehensively stocked aisle of g.f stuff (I sometimes have to go pick things up for work when someone drops a diet on us at the last minute). I'll have a look at work and see if we've any cook books in the office (nothing stays in the office unless the Chefs have elevated it to bible status) which might be helpful for you. Plus alot of the gf stuff is actually quite tasty now! We get a box of assorted individually wrapped biscuit types for our gf guests and by the time they get put out there are rarely any of the cookies left as I love them.
    It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5135113
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Stewby - well done on sticking to the diet and exercsie girl!

I'm coeliac, so have to be gluten-free. It does require a mindshift at the start, but you will quickly settle in to knowing what you can and can't have. That is IF you need to go down that route. When i was diagnosed - about 7 yrs ago - I opted to change how I ate rather than use the expensive substitutions. But as you are in Scotland, maybe you would be able to get things free on prescription??

Anyhow, I'll not witter on. There will still be so much good food (and most chocolate!) that you can consume, so eating is still enjoyable.

Keep on keeping on!
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • stewby
    stewby Posts: 1,206 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Good evening.

Good day today. Have been very good both money wise (spend-free day) and diet wise.

Total calories in: 1222.
    No exercise but I ended up at work for a teaching session which was good.
    Also got some good news about a colleague of mine... not really an excuse for the lack of exercise.
    :o

Was supposed to make soup today but didn't as the teaching session was unplanned and I ended up there instead. Will make it after work tomorrow.
    :)

Thanks for all the reassurance. I am hoping that there isn't a gluten intolerance but after thinking about it, it's a better option than some of the other possibilities.
    Thanks again and if it is the cause of the issue then I will more than likely be looking for further advice. If people don't mind of course.
    :undecided

I am probably going to have to look into substitute foods as I have such a limited range of foods that I eat, I don't really think I can choose to omit gluten-y food from my diet completely.
    :(

It's quite a scary thought to be honest although I do like the idea of being able to have a meal and not have to worry about getting home.
    My cousin teases me (in a loving way) about being predictable as I always eat at w3th3rsp00ns then have to "sort myself out" before we leave.
    It would be nice to not have to do that... or take medications to prevent it.
    How did you get diagnosed apple muncher?? If you don't mind me asking, of course.
    :embarasse
    Mortgage: £0/£80,329.91
    Savings: £0/£6400
    :love:
  • apple_muncher
    Options
    Hi Stewby, for me it was when I was pregnant. Dr was just doing routine blood tests and decided to delve deeper into my low iron. So I've never had any symptoms, tho was told I would if I carried on with gluten. After dd was born, I had an endoscopy whic proved there was gluten-induced damage to my gut (biopsy and camera), so I've been g-f since.

Dd was diagnosed just over 2 years ago after a trip to A&E when she started pooing blood (yikes!) after a very bad few days of diarrea. It prob wasn't what caused the blood, but further investigation showed her to be coeliac too. We had a light bulb moment when the consultant askedwhen I was diagnosed and I said it was while pregnant!

Don't worry about eating a limited variety of foods. Dd is terrible and if we didn't get her bread on prescription, would cost us over £30 a month on that alone!

Whatever you end up finding you have, at least then you can work to mending your body. And you are generally up for a challenge!

Take care x
  • stewby
    Options
    Hiya...

So another day at work and managed okay but a bit risky. Will need to be stricter tomorrow.

Calories in: 1208 (munched two sausages which I shouldn't have).

No exercise as I was working (thirteen hours today... whoops).
    :undecided

Thanks for the information apple muncher. I am really nervous about the blood tests but you have reassured me a bit. I am hoping food has come on since I first started training. The gluten free bread used to only be good if it was toasted and I love sandwiches.
    Fingers crossed it is better now.
    Thanks again for the reassurance.

Working again tomorrow so will try harder.
    Hugs.
  • scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Ohh don't worry about gf bread, we have some lovely stuff at work (will have a look for the brand next time it's out), as well as one of our suppliers having some lovely ones in their artisanal breads range.
    It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• apple_muncher
    Options
    Re bread - Genius is the brand we go for. Is the most like 'normal' bread that we've found. Dh has had to join in with the g-f stuff - he was told to by the consultant, to avoid cross-comtamination - and he jappily toasts the crusts.

You can still eat rice, quinoa, polenta, chips(yay!) - but check they have no coating. Yep, even the humble tato gets mauled and 'adapted' by food companies!

Anyhow, good luck with it all. Let us know how things progress.
  • stewby
    Options
    Hi there.

Getting quite nervous about the blood tests now. Mainly due to my fear of needles. Last time, my mum had to come in and hold my hand whilst I freaked out.
    :(

Friday and Saturday were really busy at work and I was on my feet a lot so hoping I lost some calories through exercise.
    However I did stay roughly to 1200!!
    :D

Friday = 1231 calories eaten.
    Saturday = 1141 calories eaten.

I had a bit of an eejit moment at work. In the morning I found I had no ham so I took two slices of bread and some butter into work to make toast... forgot about that and started eating my "sandwich" only to realise it was just plain bread. Tasted really fine so ate it anyways. Then added in a packet of wotsits for flavour.
    Had eight jelly babies to make up for the lack of ham and butter in my sandwich.

So... on to today. Which is weigh day!!!!!!!
    I have lost THREE POUNDS this week!!!!
    :j

This is over my target of two but it will help balance out a week where I only lose maybe one or no pounds as I know you get those static weeks even if you have been good.

Feeling really good just now, although I have just realised that my usual staple breakfast food of weetabix will be gone if I turn out to be gluten intolerant. So away to research gluten-free cereals in the hope there is one just like weetabix.
    :eek:
  • apple_muncher
    Options
    I know there are g-f 'cheerios', 'cornflakes', 'rice krispies'' and chocolatey ones too. We don't do cereals here, so this is what I recall seeingon sains shelves. Some may be available on prescription? There's a link on the coeliac.co.uk website.

And a super WELL DONE on the weight loss!
  • scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I seem to remember that 'real' CornFlakes and possibly Rice Crisipies actually are g.f. Although I'm not sure about Coco Pops.

But on the whole there are gf versions of pretty much everything they can make that way - I massively recommend avoiding g.f. museli though, the normal stuff is bad but the gf stuff is best compressed in to bricks and thrown at people you dislike.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills