* Breaking The Habit.... Hopefully.

edited 29 July 2014 at 11:16PM in Debt free diaries
145 replies 9.4K views

Replies

• stewbystewby Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Hello again... working today so it was a bit risky. However it was a success!!

Calories eaten today = 1184.
    Exercise = 0 calories (but have worked 13 and a half hours).
    :D

Folded at about 20:00 (shift was meant to finish at 19:30) and had a thorntons chocolate.
    But that is not bad for a chocaholic like me.
    :o

Sorry for the quick post but a bit sleepy tonight.
    Hugs.
    Mortgage: £0/£80,329.91
    Savings: £0/£6400
    :love:
  • stewbystewby Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Gained a pound today but have still lost 2lbs in total so far which is the aim to lose each week.
    I think the reason for the weight gain is because I ate really late last night and not due to amount eaten.

Official weigh day is tomorrow. Feeling kinda nervous but will see how it goes.

Calories eaten today = 1059.
    Exercise = 0 calories (but again worked 12 and half hours today).
    :)

Fingers crossed for tomorrow.
    Hugs.
  • scubaangelscubaangel Forumite
    6.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    Stewby forgive me but are you not under doing the calories a little?

I seem to recall that mfp when I was aiming for a 2lb a week loss still told me not to eat less than 1250 calories a day, and to eat back exersize calories - I don't want you to make yourself run down or ill, nor have your body go in to starvation mode and undo the good work.
    It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5135113
  • edited 8 March 2015 at 2:12AM
    stewbystewby Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    edited 8 March 2015 at 2:12AM
    I am trying to aim for 1200 calories a day as it allows me to have three reasonable meals and my evening treat without jeopardising anything.

Today was a bit less because I didn't have soup at lunchtime but tomorrow will be a bit more as we are going to go out for lunch (OH's treat).

I worry that if I over-eat I won't lose anything. Just now I am managing to stay off chocolate (for most of the time anyways).

What would you recommend scuby?? I want this to be successful
    6.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    I'd say 1200 is a good target (baring in mind I'm not a nutritionist) but if you exersize eat additional food to compensate the mfp recommendation is based on what the typical person needs as a basic number of calories to simply survive (athough they do acknowledge that different people have different base metabolic rates) is around 1250 so eating that then working off another 200 or so might be a good way to lose weight short term but its not a safe long term strategy. Plus the exersizing means you need to help your muscles and body recover and it can't do that unless you give it the nutrients.

My personal goal at the moment is 1500 daily, I tend to run three times a week, those days I run at least 2.4 miles and seem to burn around 250-300 calories each time, so if I don't want to eat more it's not critical but if I was working on a lower base number I'd at least eat enough back to hit the 1200/1250 target. I guess I'm lucky though as although I talk about cake at work there are also unlimited veggies and most days is steamed veg so I can get a pretty big plateful for the calories (and the obvious additional nutrients in multicoloured veggies).
    It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• stewbystewby Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    I don't run at all... am nowhere near fit enough.
    :embarasse

I had a cheat day today but it's a bit weird to be honest. We went to a local seaside town for the day. OH treated me to a meal out and then we had ice cream. I had heaps of unhealthy food. Came home feeling a bit disappointed as I had probably destroyed my diet.

However, when I added it all in, I was below my intake. I had gotten up just before we left so didn't have any breakfast and had so much at lunchtime that I didn't need any supper (very naughty I know) so just had a cup of tea.
    :undecided

So... this morning was the official weigh day and I am pleased to report that I lost TWO POUNDS this week!! Absolutely thrilled!!
    :j

I don't eat veggies at all (unless they are soup-i-fied) and a very limited amount of fruit.
    I am hoping that two pounds a week isn't too fast. The last thing I want to do is cause myself health problems when I am trying to prevent them.
    I just don't want to make the exercising pointless (you know by eating 1500 then doing 300 calories of exercise to get back down to 1200 when I could just eat 1200 to begin with). I don't think I understand dieting very well.
    :(

Anyways...
    Calories eaten today = 1146.
    Exercise = 222 calories.

I am pretty sure that this must be incorrect but I tried my best to get accurate numbers and food data.
    6.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    Don't think of eating exersize calories back as self sabotage - when you do any exersize you're helping your body burn off the less useful sugars which otherwise would turn to fat molecules.

Don't worry about what sort of exersize you do as long as it increases your heart rate - I think the typical recommendation is 30 mins x3 weekly.

And the more exersize you do the more efficient your muscles are at using the energy long term so you're increasing your metabolic rate which means long term they will automatically help you burn more calories which will help maintain the weighloss when you've achieved it.

As for the naughty food day - surprising isnt it sometimes when you log things, diets are never destroyed, everyone has a bad day sometimes, as long as you can pick yourself up and carry on afterwards it can be sorted out (much like dealing with finances if you ask me). I have a tendency to over estimate quantities just to be sure.

I think you said you use mfp? I tend to use a weekly average rather than worrying overly about my daily totals, some days like today I did a fair amount of running around at work, but I skipped breakfast as I felt awful first thing, lunch was a bowl of roast potatos and gravy from the roast lamb we served the guests and a pile of parsnips and cabbage. I still felt rough when I got home so I only just had dinner which was a bowl of heinz soup. Calories wise I've barely eaten anything but I've added a sharing bag of vegetable crisps and a bag of popcorn to my day so even if I don't eat them now they're already built in to my weekly calories so I can snack without feeling guilty on days when I do eat up to my calorie targets. Tomorrow for example I need to go in to town to run some errands and really ought to do some food shopping but I think I'll walk in (about 3.5 miles and its hilly), so I'll burn a fair number of calories but will likely grab a sandwich and a coffee while I'm there which will not be healthy options!

Great news with the weigh in.

P.S Sorry about the essay!
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• stewbystewby Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Hey scuby and anyone else reading...

Today was another bad day in the world of dieting. Must improve for tomorrow.
    It was my own stupidity to be honest. We went shopping and they had a rotisserie chicken going cheap so we bought it and decided to have fajitas... they are so calorie heavy. I had no idea they were so bad for you.

Calories eaten: 1,747.
    Exercise: 136 calories.

Feeling a bit rotten as this morning I weighed 216lbs so I had obviously lost another 2lbs but now I have probably destroyed that.
    Just need to remember to start again tomorrow. It's a new day and a blank canvas so to speak.

I did have one good little moment where I ran after my nephew (a jog more than a run to be honest) and I didn't seem to struggle as much. So maybe jogging is an option for the future.

Hope you are keeping well scuby and thanks for the motivation. It's always good when someone responds.
    Hugs.
    6.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    First things first - no food is bad, just some foods need a little more working in to the plan!

More importantly.

Don't feel bad about it, just like the debt a small over spend (in this case on calories) might slow you down but it won't stop you! Not to mention that at 1600 calories (roughly) you're still 400 under the 2000 thats usually the reccomended daily intake. Once you're more settled in the new eating habits you'll probably find that certain things do lead to you not losing/gaining a lb temporarily - for me weirdly toffee popcorn is a guarenteed lb gain the next day while cinema style sweet has no apparent effect.

But the fajitas might not be as bad as you think - chicken is a good protein, the tortillas are reasonably healthy for bread items and I assume you added some kinds of veggies to it so there will have been plenty of nurients there too.

Maybe when you've lost a few more lbs you can think about giving jogging a try, although the calorie burns are similar for a jog as they are for walking so the only difference there really is the time it takes.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• stewbystewby Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Thanks for the good advice scuby. I am very grateful.

Calories in: 1380 (my allowance for the day exactly which is quite funny and completely unplanned).
    Exercise: 99 calories.

Had a bit of a weird day... My doctor thinks I might have a gluten intolerance but I have to get some blood tests done first.
    For someone who eats very little, the idea of having to reduce what I eat is a bit worrying. At this rate I will only have chocolate left.
    :rotfl:

So, if I understand you right Scuby... if I have the time to do the walking, I might as well stick with walking and protect my knees as there won't be any different calorie wise for jogging??
    :)

Money wise... joint account is still going great. Hooray. It is scary to see the money all disappear though. I had no idea we had so many outgoings until now. Internet banking is very interesting and quite transparent compared to getting paper statements.

Spendy day today but only a tenner (well, £9.99 actually) which I used to buy a really nice top. Decided that I should treat myself due to the doctor's appointment revalation.
    ;)

Currently spending my evening looking to see how much trouble I am in... appears that most sauces contain some form of gluten which will cause me some issues as I always have some sort of sauce with my food. Hopefully there is a way round this issue.

Thanks again for reading.
    Hugs.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Ask An Expert: Rewind

Check out last week's energy-themed Q&A with MSE's experts

MSE Forum

Top theatre lotteries