For Finally Forgoing Frittering

edited 26 August 2014 at 5:42PM in Debt-free Wannabe Challenges
90 replies 11.3K views

Replies

• Tiggy my downfall is Pepsi Max, totally addicted, to the point where I'd have headaches if I didn't drink any.

I read up on aspartame (the sweetener used in diet drinks instead of sugar) and haven't had any since lol! Still get cravings every now and then but I try to ignore it.

I'm having a NSD today, the milk WILL last until morning! Going out to my mums so I will leave my purse at home. Not that there's more than about £1 in there anyway!

Our local shop charges 50p regardless of the amount you spend!
    Highest debt: £25,702.08 :( (estimated) DFD 29th August 2018 Paid £35.25
    September Squirrels #27: debt paid £35.25/£500 ~ SFD 0/15 ~ Birthdays 0/£50 ~ Saved 0/£50 ~ Food £25.68/£250 ~ Food Bank 0/5 ~ Exercise 2/15 ~ Reflection 1/15
    Weight Loss: 0/56lbs
  • Saver-upperSaver-upper Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome Tiggy10 greet024.gif.Well done in your efforts to cut down :beer:.

homemademamma have you seen the NSD challenge?I do it (you can find the link through my old posts if you like).Because of the amount of bread and milk my family get through,I consider them "allowable spends".So,if these are the only items I buy(because they are needs),I still claim an NSD.The only other allowable spend I have is petrol,because until I implemeted that exception,I was having too many days of "driving on the red"because I was trying to save an NSD :eek:
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:.

Have spent faaaaarrrrrr tooooooo lllllooooooooonnnnnnngggggg on the 'puter today.Really must make a move off the sofa and do some tidying (4 kids home for hols is a nightmare.)It was also OH's birthday last week-presents and wrapping paper are still sitting around the house 018.gif.

So,off to tidy ...............
    SPC #36 :staradminx 8.SPC7=£751.10 SPC8=£651.04 SPC9=£843.00 SPC10=£872.76
    Pinecone £301,Valued Opinions £10.50

• Saver-upper I have joined the August NSD challenge as well. I was thinking of doing similar as, with 4 children having cereal every day, milk never lasts so has to be considered an essential!
    Highest debt: £25,702.08 :( (estimated) DFD 29th August 2018 Paid £35.25
    September Squirrels #27: debt paid £35.25/£500 ~ SFD 0/15 ~ Birthdays 0/£50 ~ Saved 0/£50 ~ Food £25.68/£250 ~ Food Bank 0/5 ~ Exercise 2/15 ~ Reflection 1/15
    Weight Loss: 0/56lbs
  • SundaysgirlSundaysgirl Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Hello saver-upper, I'd like to join too please - I've started the NSD challenge this month too and think this thread will help me rein in the small frittery spends a bit more!

I have generally improved over the last year as I've started to keep a spreadsheet of all spends - was spending silly amounts on rubbish - the odd bar of choc, packet of crisps, etc here and there whilst at work. I've cut this back quite a lot simply through trying to have NSDs - that one bar of choc is not going to be the sole reason behind a non-NSD! - and hope that joining the NSD challenge rather then going solo will help even more. Also great for the waistline too :D

My downfall at times can also be my piggies - as a few on here have mentioned, the need for regular fresh food means frequent trips to the supermarket, and the temptation to buy other thngs whilst there. My little darlings can tend to be picky, so what they love one week, they turn their noses up at the next! OH and I end up having some strange veg accompaniment combos sometimes as a result...

Anyway, enough rambling... good luck everyone, and will follow progress with interest!

p.s. Buffythedebtslayer - I want that house for my piggies too now!!
    MFW 2017 #123 2018: £1,852.64/£39,200 (4.7%)
    1.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome,Sundaysgirl greet024.gif.I know exactly what you mean about not wanting to [STRIKE]waist[/STRIKE] waste (see what I did there?:D)
    NSD's on chocolate/snacks.I have fallen by the way doing that before,and although the initial purchase/taste is nice,it has made me kick myself hard for such a waste of an NSD .

homemademamma if I had looked at your signature I would have realised you were on the NSD challenge :o.When I started it,I took the term "No Spend" very literally.But I was then beating myself up too much, if buying milk/bread for kids was the only thing breaking a NSD.And as I mentioned,it was also causing me to "play chicken" with the fuel gauge,which is just silly.
    And I meant to say yesterday,thank you for your last PM.Will have a look.

Today is actually looking like it might be an NSD for me.Have been home with 3/4 of the kidlodites,then drove to collect eldest from a sleepover,only to be asked for an extension of said sleepover icon_rolleyes.gif.Drove home again.Not sure why she didn't just ask me over the phone......

• marmiterulesokmarmiterulesok Forumite
    7.8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tiggy my downfall is Pepsi Max, totally addicted, to the point where I'd have headaches if I didn't drink any.

I read up on aspartame (the sweetener used in diet drinks instead of sugar) and haven't had any since lol! Still get cravings every now and then but I try to ignore it.

I'm having a NSD today, the milk WILL last until morning! Going out to my mums so I will leave my purse at home. Not that there's more than about £1 in there anyway!

Our local shop charges 50p regardless of the amount you spend!
    Saver-upper I have joined the August NSD challenge as well. I was thinking of doing similar as, with 4 children having cereal every day, milk never lasts so has to be considered an essential!

Would you use powdered milk for emergencies?That's all I use,so milk running out or going off is never a problem.Well,it can still go off...
    Hello saver-upper, I'd like to join too please - I've started the NSD challenge this month too and think this thread will help me rein in the small frittery spends a bit more!

I have generally improved over the last year as I've started to keep a spreadsheet of all spends - was spending silly amounts on rubbish - the odd bar of choc, packet of crisps, etc here and there whilst at work. I've cut this back quite a lot simply through trying to have NSDs - that one bar of choc is not going to be the sole reason behind a non-NSD! - and hope that joining the NSD challenge rather then going solo will help even more. Also great for the waistline too :D

My downfall at times can also be my piggies - as a few on here have mentioned, the need for regular fresh food means frequent trips to the supermarket, and the temptation to buy other thngs whilst there. My little darlings can tend to be picky, so what they love one week, they turn their noses up at the next! OH and I end up having some strange veg accompaniment combos sometimes as a result...

Anyway, enough rambling... good luck everyone, and will follow progress with interest!

Maybe the piggies food could be an allowable spend?

Saver-upper when I started the nsd challenge,I was very strict about what was allowed-nothing more or less,which I soon realised was too strict...

I hope that today you get an nsd. :)
  • Penguins86Penguins86 Forumite
    373 Posts
    Not a NSD today but the things I bought were things for holiday that I've been planning to get for a while (plus lunch which if I'd though about it I could have saved 40p on if I'd waited an extra 5mins) so I'm going to put the extra 40p aside as a frittering spend for just not using my brain!!
    NSDs January - 3/8 2017 total - 3
    declutter challenge 67/2017
    Goodreads Challenge 0/30
    1.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Aww,bless you penguins86.Good on you putting away the 40p you could have saved.

Well,I kept my NSD :j.
    It is funny-since I started this thread,I have been very stubborn about not going to the shops.Previously,especially in the school holidays,having lots of kids in tow,I would nip to the corner shop for very expensive supplies,and not give it a second thought.Now,I am refusing to pay for that convenience-if I don't have an ingredient in,I improvise,or plan another meal (mental note to self: start meal-planning again when we return from holiday.Going away on Saturday for a week).

Have only spent one day in August,and no frittering :j.Fancied a sweet treat yesterday,so made flapjack (all ingredients present and correct-no shopping).The kids think I am wonderful :kisses:

• BuffythedebtslayerBuffythedebtslayer Forumite
    17.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭

hello, typing in the dark here so forgive any mistakes!

I know what you mean about fussy piggies. Sometimes they like peppers sometimes they don't. The only thing I can rely on is cucumber!

and that house...he'd better sell out soon!

I have frittered 8 pounds.
    1. pencil and sharper (a day trip)
    2. an in car charger for 6 pounds. have lost two!!

XX
    Current debt £1980 - Debt free date 25 December 2021
  • Have only spent one day in August,and no frittering :j.Fancied a sweet treat yesterday,so made flapjack (all ingredients present and correct-no shopping).The kids think I am wonderful :kisses:

This makes me want flapjack...I'll have to see if I've got the ingredients in the cupboard at a more sensible hour!
    NSDs January - 3/8 2017 total - 3
    declutter challenge 67/2017
    Goodreads Challenge 0/30
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up