We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Money Moral Dilemma: Should I report my fare-dodging colleague?

Options

Comments

• yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 July 2014 at 10:42PM
    Options
    Donj wrote: »
    Find out how he does it, then let the railway know then their can correct the loophole.
    If it was a "loophole" it wouldn't be dodging.

Mirvensty wrote: »
    Failure adhere to the above conditions - could make you liable to be charged an excess or Penalty Fare
    ...or, if it wasn't deemed to be a mistake, prosecution.
  • reluctantworkingmum
    Options
    Don't report him - no matter how good it might make you feel for a moment..

When you started bragging to your friends how you reported him - the expression you saw on their faces would not be admiration - but contempt......and if you kept quiet and didn't tell anyone - it would make you feel sneaky.....

Rise above it - feel sorry for him because karma will eventually get him but feel proud because you are honest
    be glad that you are not thieving, sneaky nor vindictive - you are a good person!
  • siani70
    siani70 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Don't know what the answer is. My partner and I travelled to London and back the other week: a journey involving three different stations and four different trains. Our tickets were not checked at all! So I can understand the temptation to not bother with tickets for those lacking in moral fibre. No wonder train fares are so expensive if we're all subsidising fare dodgers.
  • macca9
    macca9 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    What is bothering you more, the fact that he's committing a "crime" and getting away with it, or that he is coming in and bragging about it? No one likes a braggart, but they can be put in their place. Even fewer people like a grass...

To be fair, the biggest crime is how the train operators get away with charging honest commuters the earth to get to work...
  • meknowalot-51
    Options
    We're going to london this weekend for a friends suprise 50th,very last minute which is turning out to be quite expensive.The cheapest rail fare that i have managed to find is £137 return,of course if we had known 3 months ago it would probably be half.I've tried variouse sites,even considered returning by coach but the train is our prefered choice for speed and comfort.To cut the price a bit we're going to buy a rail card and get 30% discount.Like the vast majority of you out there we're trying to save money but most importantly we're paying for our train journey and not stealing from the company or commuter.I say this because at the end of the day we all pay for the people who refuse to,how much is your car insurance?
    My advice is you should give him a wake up call and report what he's doing.You will be doing the thief a favour.
  • dandelionclock30
    Options
    Get a life yourself, honestly you sound like your petty and vindictive.
    Its not right but he will be caught eventually and its non of your buisness at all.
  • dickavis
    dickavis Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    macca9 wrote: »
    What is bothering you more, the fact that he's committing a "crime" and getting away with it, or that he is coming in and bragging about it? No one likes a braggart, but they can be put in their place. Even fewer people like a grass...

To be fair, the biggest crime is how the train operators get away with charging honest commuters the earth to get to work...

Send his details to me, with a photo that I can pass on if possible, I don't mind being a grass. If people ain't gonna like me because of that, what do I care? I'm living my life for me, not for them.
  • Signman79
    Options
    Hi there I am currently in the process of moving house and am set to live with a partner but I am currently on Housing Benefit at my previous address can anyone provide any advice on what my next steps would be in terms of either cancelling my payments or getting in contact with someone? Thanks
  • meknowalot-51
    Options
    Get a life yourself, honestly you sound like your petty and vindictive.
    Its not right but he will be caught eventually and its non of your buisness at all.
    Firstly,he's stealing from a service that most of us use so it is "our" bussiness.There could be loads of people on that morning train that have found a loophole and steal,they could have been doing it for years.If we all used your logic it could potentially go on for years to come.At least you realize what he's doing is not right,sometimes we the public have to step up and grow some.I realize this may sound a bit harsh but with all the cuts that are occuring helping to cut down on theft helps to keep "our" costs down.
  • RASTape
    Options
    The fact is he is dishonest and a thief. You don't need friends like that. Report him.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport