We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Money Moral Dilemma: Should I report my fare-dodging colleague?

Options

Comments

• rowansway
    rowansway Posts: 152 Forumite
    Options
    Looks like I'm in the minority! I too had a work colleague who used to brag about fare dodging - so I reported her description, the approximate time of her train arrival and which entrance she used. Unfortunately, though, she would only get issued with an "on the spot" type of fine which didn't put her off. Why did I do it? Because a family relation pays over £3500 for an annual season ticket ..... why should the vast majority of honest fare payers subsidise a thief?
  • sniggings
    sniggings Posts: 5,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm confused, is this a real situation or just made up?
  • s2006
    s2006 Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 23 July 2014 at 4:40PM
    Options
    Some people really have no life here!
    We pay some of the highest fares in Europe in exchange for the terrible service, late trains and overcrowding, the result of the awful free market and if anyone's stealing from people it's from us, the captive market, but saying that it's entirely their choice whether they want to risk it or not. If they can't even be bothered hiring people to check commuters tickets it's their own fault.
    People need to keep their big do-gooder noses out of other people's business.
  • Ebenezer_Screwj
    Options
    I would be sorely tempted to report this individual to the Train Operating Company concerned but I have no doubt he will get his come-uppance anyway in the fullness of time. If you do grass him up you will have to be very careful that he doesn't suspect who it was!
  • money_minder
    Options
    I pay £4k a year for commuting to work and it gets higher every year for a number of reasons, one of which is people who don't want to pay their way. Why should I pay for someone else's train travel with my hard earned money - buy your own ticket. So yes, report them!!
  • devoted
    devoted Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bragging is poor behaviour. If he's not trying to gain advantage on colleagues, family & friends, ignore it. These little cheats ? black marketeers are common place these days. And insignificant to the financial abuse of those in power.
  • bettyboon
    bettyboon Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    I would tell this person how I felt and also that he is likely to get caught. We used to live near a village station where the ticket office was closed most of the time. There was a ticket machine on the platform, but often it was out of order. However the trains were regularly patrolled by ticket inspectors and they would know if the machine was working or not. They are not stupid and if someone is regularly avoiding paying then they will work it out eventually. I believe there was a case in the papers where someone had been evading fares for a long time and had to pay a huge amount or end up in court. He chose to pay thousands rather than suffer the embarrassment.
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,460 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    AnneMary wrote: »
    ''All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.''

Despite the origins of that quote its usually equated with Nazi Germany and you apply it to a fare dodger. Grrrr at those evil fare dodgers! er doing er evil :mad:

I suggest you get out more.

OP mind your own, he probably is lying and trying to big himself up and be 'street' if he is dodging he will be caught at some point.
  • Mirvensty
    Options
    I fully understand the problematic moral and work colleague ethics that you find yourself in, and unfortunately only you can decide how you approach this dilemma.

From a personal view if you obtain products or services without payment then its theft plain and simple.

But from an Revenue Officers point of view these are the facts
    1) Before you travel you must have a ticket or other authority to travel which is valid for the train(s) you intend to use and for the journey you intend to make.
    2)You must travel in the right train(s) and the right part of the train(s) You may only change from standard class to first class areas if a member of staff in that train gives permission or you have paid the appropriate additional fare.
    Failure adhere to the above conditions - could make you liable to be charged an excess or Penalty Fare
  • blue-orchid
    blue-orchid Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    Next time they brag - ask them about their route, where they get on etc. Then ask - "is there a reward for grassing fare dodgers - I could do with some extra pennies..." pretend you are joking but really badly. I bet they will buy a ticket for a while - just in case.

Otherwise tell him your uncle/brother/sister has just got a job as a ticket inspector and gets a good bonus for every fare dodger they find! Then casually asking him about his route - you won't hear anymore!
    You can always earn more money, but you can never buy more time
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family