BT Cessation fee

Options

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    do all providers have this cessation fee?

All have to pay it but don't pass it on.

Since last summer PlusNet and BT class even migrating to be a cease, unless you move between those two companies. Virgin is a different system, but others like TalkTalk and Sky don't pass on the charge for migrating to eachother or to PlusNet and BT.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 22 April 2017 at 9:42AM
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    All have to pay it but don't pass it on.

Since last summer PlusNet and BT class even migrating to be a cease, unless you move between those two companies. Virgin is a different system, but others like TalkTalk and Sky don't pass on the charge for migrating to eachother or to PlusNet and BT.

BT don't raise a cease fee if you migrate using the appropriate migration process, Sky and TT are LLU providers so the WLR cease fee doesn't apply unless you happen to be a legacy customer on lineshare equipment then Sky and TT would charge for a cease of BB
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    iniltous wrote: »
    BT don't raise a cease fee if you migrate using the appropriate migration process, Sky and TT are LLU providers so the WLR cease fee doesn't apply unless you happen to be a legacy customer on lineshare equipment then Sky and TT would charge for a cease of BB

According to BT's T&Cs you are correct, yet related PlusNet will charge to go to an LLU provider.

Extract for PlusNet's T&Cs :

10. Ending your agreement
    10.1. Where our agreement ends (even after the expiry of any minimum term) you may be charged a "cessation fee" as set out in the Price Guide where:
    10.1.1. you cancel your service without transferring providers;
    10.1.2. you transfer to a service where: (i) the provider uses their own network to provide the service, or (ii) the provider uses BT's network like us, but they have their own equipment in your local exchange (often called Local Loop Unbundling); or
    10.1.3. the phone line used to provide your service is cut off.
  • Kearsley81
    Options
    I have just cancelled my BT account but been stung with a £31 disconnection fee to disconnect the broadband, even though I am out of my fixed contract. Has anybody else had to pay this?

Hardly a thank you for your custom after 5 years!
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You pay that if you do not use the migration service , ie move to plusnet and let them handle the switch

You have told BT to cease the service , it's a standard fee allowed by Ofcom
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,451 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Just to double check - so you're not planning to go to another broadband provider (that uses the Openreach network)?

i.e. You're either going to have no broadband at all or Virgin Cable Broadband or perhaps mobile broadband.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Kearsley81 wrote: »
    Hardly a thank you for your custom after 5 years!
    You are cancelling, why should they reward you for that? The charge is standard and allowed.
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    Not only that, the cost is stipulated in the terms of service too. Shame nobody reads them!
  • Kellie123456
    Options
    Hi

I just tried to renew my broadband for the same cost as the last twelve months (£5pm rising to £7 in April) to be told I could get it for £9pm. I argued that the service hasn't changed and there was a price hike in April and there will be one next April so what I am paying an extra £24 a year for? I was told that was the deal and that they are prepared to lose me as a customer for the sake of £24. I said fine, I'll terminate to be told I would have to pay a £31 termination fee, unless I move to another broadband provider. After I informed the adviser I hoped the call was being recorded because that is ridiculous that I have to pay to get out of the flipping broadband loop and that I've worked for BT and they are a useless company, she terminated the call. I didn't swear or raise my voice so her actions just proved my point really. Anyway I've googled and I know this charge is in the t's and c's and is something to do with Openreach so if I have to pay it to get out of the broadband trap and rely on my mobile connection, I will but has anyone successfully argued and got out of this charge?

• Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    Options
    There are numerous posts about it, have a search.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure