BT Cessation fee

Options
Today We have completed the changeover from BT to TalkTalk we received an e.mail from BT to tell us that we will be charged £30 . This is because we did not request a MAC code . TalkTalk didnt ask us to request a MAC from BT as they do not need one for the transfer of Broadband service in our area, according to the customer service operator.
So we have a company that charges you a fee if you dont request a MAC and a company that doesn't need one but fails to point out that you may incur a charge from your previous supplier by signing up with them.
Again it feels like i am being mugged by the system, and all of the 'small print' / 'terms and conditions' is being skillfully designed to claw back any savings you might make by transferring , it is not just a case of 'leave it all to us ,we will do it all for you ' anymore, you need to have a degree in Business studies and Law just to get past the red tape .
A Warning to anyone changing over from BT check with them and your future provider as to where you stand regarding a broadband cease charge.
We have been advised by TalkTalk to make a complaint after the final bill from BT and try to get a refund. I won't be holding my breath regarding the outcome.
Maybe all of the companies should be made to adopt the same terms and conditions regarding set up and cease fees it would make it a lot easier for the general public and give the smooth changeovers we were promised when multiple suppliers joined the marketplace.

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    MAC code thought the whole idea was to make transfer easy and i have never been able to change without a MAC code .

jje
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    The fee is for the removal of BB and is pair to Openreach. It is not up to your new supplier to 'warn' you of a fee you already agreed to pay - and being fair, were not a party to.

Have you asked them what their fee will be when you eventually cancel their services?
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm guessing £30 ish!!

But of course with Talk Talk you can check out any time but you can never leave.:D
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    The MAC is usually to transfer the broadband asset of the service only to another provider who uses the BT Wholesale phone line equipment inside the exchange (SMPF LLU products)

Talk Talk use their own telephone equipment in the exchange (MPF LLU product) so a MAC wouldn't have worked anyway.

When you transfer from Talk Talk back to another provider there's usually an new line set up / installation charge again as well as you're changing back to BT Wholesale's infistructure.
    All your base are belong to us.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 June 2013 at 6:24PM
    Options
    Retrogamer wrote: »
    The MAC is usually to transfer the broadband asset of the service only to another provider who uses the BT Wholesale phone line equipment inside the exchange (SMPF LLU products)

Talk Talk use their own telephone equipment in the exchange (MPF LLU product) so a MAC wouldn't have worked anyway.

When you transfer from Talk Talk back to another provider there's usually an new line set up / installation charge again as well as you're changing back to BT Wholesale's infistructure.

And because TT knew at order entry that they were providing a LLU MPF they didn't ask for a MAC, because your order didn't need one, BT on the other hand have a cease of a circuit to deal with, so raise the charge to cover the work on your final BT bill, it may seem unfair, but if anyone should have mentioned this it's TT, even though it's not them that raise the charge, but they are not going to mention something that may make you reconsider moving are they ?
  • allie23
    allie23 Posts: 1,858 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I am having a similar problem with transfer of my BB to plusnet and would appreciate any advice.

I spoke to Plusnet about moving to them from BT on 3 March 2013. I got the MAC code from BT on March 4th and gave it to plusnet.

My broadband with PlusNet went active on March 13th 2013. So far so good...

Except that BT are still charging me for BB. I have queried this several times on the phone with BT but each person I speak to gives me a different story. I did have a refund of BB charges on 27th April and thought that the matter was closed. Alas no. I am still being charged.

I phone BT again on 10 June and was told account would be closed and final bill for BB would be with me within 10 days. This did not happen.

I called again on 24 June and was told by Angie that my BT BB had never been cancelled and to take it up with PlusNet (It would have been useful if I had been told this before!). I did and Plusnet confirmed that they had gone thought the correct protocol and provided an email stating everything they had done.

I phoned BT back and was told by Lesley that I could cancel but would have to pay £30 since 'PlusNet did not use a MAC code'. I agreed to pay the £30 reluctantly but said I would expect to have it refunded. She said take it up with PlusNet as its their fault. I phoned PlusNet again and they said they did use the MAC code and quoted me the one they used.

I phone BT back and get Peter this time. I quote him the MAC code and he agrees to refund the £30 cancellation charge. Whew, all sorted. Alas no...

Text from BT tonight saying cancellation has 'failed'. I phone them and get no straight answer as to why it has failed.

My minimum contract time finished in Feb with BT so it is not that I am breaking that. I still have around 5 month left on my Line rental Saver with BT so am staying with them for line rental and calls.

Sorry for the long post. Any advice please??
    Save 12k in 2024 Challenge
    Frugal living Challenge 2024
  • BT_company_representative
    BT_company_representative Posts: 1,861 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi Allie23,

I would like to take a look at this for you. Please could you send me in your details using the link found in my profile?

Thanks

Paddy
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of BT. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • LolitaLove
    Options
    I switched from Virgin media to BT a while back and had nothing but trouble. First of all I did not receive the package that was sold to me over the phone, then I had lots of trouble with a slow hub and bad phone line. As soon as my contract ended I cancelled and switched back to Virgin. Now BT are saying they have to charge £30 to disconnect the Broadband. Is this right? Surely they can't penalise me financially for ending the service when I'm no longer bound to them by contract?

If anyone is thinking of switching to BT by the way please don't.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The £30 fee is charged by a different part of BT to the one you have a BB contract with to ALL ISPs that cancel broadband. Whether the ISP passes it on to the consumer is their choice. In this case they are passing the charge on to you.
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    LolitaLove wrote: »
    Is this right? Surely they can't penalise me financially for ending the service when I'm no longer bound to them by contract?

If you cancel a broadband service it is a standard disconnection charge, if you transfer your service using a MAC there is no charge.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure