BT Cessation fee

Options

Comments

• iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    ...but PN would still raise the £30 cease fee as they treat a move to an LLU supplier (TalkTalk or Sky) as a cancellation:(

There is a procedure that allows WLR or LLU to LLU migrations that shouldn't trigger the 'cease' fee, and as the OP didn't need to speak to PN they should probably ignore ( for now) what they said....speaking to Sky the OP should ask if they are migrating the existing line or providing a 'new' line...if they say migratation, confirm with Sky that PN shouldn't raise a cease fee ( because no 'cease' is required ) if they say they are issuing a 'new line' order, then I would ask that they cover the cease charge PN will raise, as a new line for Sky will mean that PN will cease the PN line, and there is no need for Sky to provide a new line ( it may be easier for them than a migration, but creates an unnecessary cease charge ) when they should 'migrate' the existing service
  • parttimeskint
    Options
    If the OP has a cease date from plusnet and has cancelled with them and didn't just do it all through Sky he will also loose his telephone number.

Best thing to do is stop the cancellation with plusnet and then just arrange the transfer through Sky, porting the number to them. There will be no fee, minimal downtime, and he will keep his number. That's how the process is meant to work.

Absorbing the cost is irrelevant as the "cost" only applies to a line cease and not a transfer or number port.
  • brewerdave
    Options
    Sorry but I believe previous posts #13 and #14 are incorrect - from many posts on PN's own forum, Plusnet are now treating moves away to either TT or Sky LLU as a cease as they get charged by BTOpenreach for the work at the exchange.
    See https://www.plus.net/help/my-account/charges-for-removing-broadband/
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    Sorry but I believe previous posts #13 and #14 are incorrect - from many posts on PN's own forum, Plusnet are now treating moves away to either TT or Sky LLU as a cease as they get charged by BTOpenreach for the work at the exchange.
    See https://www.plus.net/help/my-account/charges-for-removing-broadband/

That appears to explain the 'problem', so it is a case of hoping the new provider is willing to absorb.

This looks like a ploy to stop us using other ISPs' offers as a bargaining point, because we need to subtract the cease charge from the offer totals.
  • NeilB
    NeilB Posts: 178 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone know if this has this always been the case with PN or an addition to the T's & C's? As Im sure many who have been with PN for a few years may not have been made aware of this policy 'change', if it is indeed a change.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    NeilB wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this has this always been the case with PN or an addition to the T's & C's? As Im sure many who have been with PN for a few years may not have been made aware of this policy 'change', if it is indeed a change.

The change came in about 5 or 6 years ago. We were all made aware of it.
  • pennyforthem
    Options
    The change came in about 5 or 6 years ago. We were all made aware of it.

This was one of my points with them I have never once in all the years I have been with them recieved one single notification that my contract has changed. I even said the only thing I can think is that my free usage between midnight and 8am no longer exists but she didnt say that it did not !
    Has the free usaged been taken away from the econamy package ?
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not sure it was as long as 5 or 6 years ago -and I don't think I got any direct notification about the change either - however, PN have a habit of burying nasties in a "good news" type email about something totally different.
  • foxytiger
    Options
    Hi, can anyone help ?
    My broadband package comes to an end next month but my line rental contract doesn't end until April, so i was going to go without broadband for 2-3 months (have mobile phone access anyway).
    I've just spoken with BT who say if i cancel my broadband when my package ends i'll have to pay them £31 for an engineer to come out to my exchange box to remove my equipment so i can no longer receive broadband !!!!!!
    If i don't cancel i can go onto a new package for 12/24 months or just go onto their standard monthly rate (which is high).
    When my contract ends why do i have to pay for them to remove equipment ???
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure