BT Cessation fee

Options

Comments

• TadleyBaggie
    Options
    It's the standard Openreach charge for a broadband disconnection, if you were to simply transfer to another ISP there would be no charge to pay (by you).
  • pennyforthem
    Options
    boatman wrote: »
    Yes. But if you join BT you won't pay it.

https://www.plus.net/help/my-account/charges-for-removing-broadband/

Great deal to join sky at the moment though, see the main part of mse
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-broadband

Not going with BT same company and have been overcharging us on landline calls. Going to try sky
  • pennyforthem
    Options
    It's the standard Openreach charge for a broadband disconnection, if you were to simply transfer to another ISP there would be no charge to pay (by you).

Thank you ! I have always got a code which I asked for and changed. They said no code but there is a charge of £30 no explanation of transfer would mean no charge, just about sums them up.
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    http://www.sky.com/shop/offers/broadbandswitchers/v1/
    If you are moving to sky this may be useful.
  • pennyforthem
    Options
    boatman wrote: »
    http://www.sky.com/shop/offers/broadbandswitchers/v1/
    If you are moving to sky this may be useful.

Thank you but I dont think it applies to me as my contract ended along time ago. I asked for the transfer code to go with another company as I was not happy with how they handled things she said they dont do that any more theres just a £30 charge ! This is compleatly incorect information (thanks to the previous people who replied) so now I need to find out if because she gave me an end date and has sent me an email charging me £30 (yes I refused to give a company that has repeatedly overcharged me for internet my card shocker) They have blatantly done this on purpose just a shame it does not surprise me.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    These days you don't need to ( and probably shouldn't ) call the provider you are leaving...if you are migrating from one provider to another ( providing they both use Openreach network) it's a gaining provider led system, in other words, you pick the company you want to use, contact them, and they do everything else...they in effect arrange the transfer, if you call the company you are leaving, it's not that unreasonable for them to think you are not migrating, but ceasing your broadband service completely , and for that there is a charge, because you don't call them if you are transferring away from them
  • brewerdave
    Options
    iniltous wrote: »
    These days you don't need to ( and probably shouldn't ) call the provider you are leaving...if you are migrating from one provider to another ( providing they both use Openreach network) it's a gaining provider led system, in other words, you pick the company you want to use, contact them, and they do everything else...they in effect arrange the transfer, if you call the company you are leaving, it's not that unreasonable for them to think you are not migrating, but ceasing your broadband service completely , and for that there is a charge, because you don't call them if you are transferring away from them

...but PN would still raise the £30 cease fee as they treat a move to an LLU supplier (TalkTalk or Sky) as a cancellation:(
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 23 September 2016 at 9:38PM
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    ...but PN would still raise the £30 cease fee as they treat a move to an LLU supplier (TalkTalk or Sky) as a cancellation:(

But the new provider will absorb this cost for you ?

Perhaps the charge is mentioned as the OP only asked to leave , without having a transfer arranged.

Also, you no longer need a code and should, as has been mentioned, make your move via the new provider. (The one you leave will probably then contact you or if they don't you could call them to check that the process is going ahead.)
  • Thank you ! I have always got a code which I asked for and changed. They said no code but there is a charge of £30 no explanation of transfer would mean no charge, just about sums them up.

No code anymore.

Annoying because requesting a code triggered retentions and a great deal.

Now this option has ceased necessitating a change of provider :(
  • brewerdave
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    But the new provider will absorb this cost for you ?

...perhaps they will......if you get a helpful CSA:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure