BT Cessation fee

Options

Comments

• TadleyBaggie
    Options
    Because that is the standard Openreach "cease" charge, which become payable if the broadband connection is simply ended and not transferred to another provider.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 19 January 2017 at 11:26PM
    Options
    You only pay a broadband 'cease' charge if you remove broadband completely from the line, there is actual work required to do this cease , (engineer visits exchange and physically 'rejumpers' your line , update of records etc,) so most if not all providers charge for this, because the company that does this work (Openreach) doesn't do it for free, they charge your provider (BT in your case) , you don't pay a cease fee if you migrate to another provider, (there is a smaller charge for this migration work but usually your 'new' provider picks up the charge) , it's worth it for them as they are getting your business for a minimum period of time ( 12 to 24 months )... your problem is your line rental and broadband have different dates.
    Your broadband contract doesn't come to an end as such, just the minimum term expires, obviously there are various options you could take, one is at the end of the broadband minimum term , you allow the broadband to tick over on a month by month basis, until you reach the month that your line rental minimum term also ends (you may have to pay 'full price' for these couple of months broadband)
    then (if it's your intention to have broadband) you could then search out a new deal for line and broadband, and migrate to that provider and there wouldn't be a cease charge for broadband.
    If your intention is to not to have broadband over your phone line at all and just use your mobile then the broadband cease fee is unavoidable
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    foxytiger wrote: »
    I've just spoken with BT who say if i cancel my broadband when my package ends i'll have to pay them £31 for an engineer to come out to my exchange box to remove my equipment so i can no longer receive broadband !!!!!!
    If i don't cancel i can go onto a new package for 12/24 months or just go onto their standard monthly rate (which is high).
    When my contract ends why do i have to pay for them to remove equipment ???

If you phone up any of the providers and tell them you are going to cancel then they will always quote a termination charge, because you never (ever) want to cancel broadband unless you don't want broadband there at all. Even if you start complaining that there shouldn't be any fees they won't suggest that maybe you don't mean what they mean by cancel. Even if you told them "I'm cancelling as I'm going to![company X]" they will ignore that you really mean you want to switch as it generates!money for them.

You have another choice, you could switch to another provider. Whether this is a good idea depends on the dates your broadband and line contracts end & why they are different.

If you just prepaid for a year some time after taking switching to BT then switching away before all of the prepaid line rental runs out should trigger a pro rata refund.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    iniltous wrote: »
    You only pay a broadband 'cease' charge if you remove broadband completely from the line,

Since last summer (I believe, as I wasn't a customer back then), PlusNet are treating any migration (even when arranged by the receiving provider) to an LLU or cable network as a cease and make a £30 charge (It's in their T&Cs), so just going to BT or BTW is charge free. BT have a similar policy, making going to PlusNet or BTW fee free.
  • vintagebrighton
    Options
    I'm moving house and rang plusnet to terminate my BB and phone. They've decided that a termination fee of £30 applies! I took out a 12 month contract nearly 2 years ago so I'm definitely out of contract. In fact, the only reason I've been paying the increased price is because I knew we were moving and didn't want to be in contract when I did. Is this correct? They want £30 :(

Thanks

VB x
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,056 Forumite
    Options
    This will be the BT Openreach "cease" fee, which is levied on the ISP when a broadband connection is disconnected. Pretty sure it will be in the T&C's.
  • lee111s
    lee111s Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Are you not taking your services with you?
  • vintagebrighton
    Options
    Not taking it, no. The deals for new customers are better than they've offered.

I've now checked the t's&c's and yes, the fee is there. I now don't think we have to pay it as the incoming resident has already applied to have the line taken over by their broadband provider.

You learn something every day :)

Thanks guys

VB x
  • always_sunny
    always_sunny Posts: 8,314 Forumite
    Options
    do all providers have this cessation fee?
    EU expat working in London
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,056 Forumite
    Options
    do all providers have this cessation fee?
    If they require BT Openreach to disconnect the connection, then almost certainly (so probably not Virgin Media). If you switch providers, the cost is usually swallowed by the new ISP.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure