16yr old bus fine....

Options
A colleague's child (16) has just been stopped on the bus by an inspector for not paying the adult fare (genuine mistake) name and details taken to attract a 35gbp penalty.
OK, so who is actually liable for the penalty? The parent? Or the child?
Just interested in the responses as to whether the bus company follows these through.

Comments

• DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The child, as far as I am aware; you would need to check the conditions of carriage from the bus company, and perhaps consult case law if there are such things about a £35 bus penalty.
  • rash161
    rash161 Posts: 101 Forumite
    Options
    Inform the child not to give personal details to strangers in the future
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    if he should have had an adult ticket then he's an adult not a child, and is liable.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Age of responsibility = 10.

It's the young person who's liable.
  • bsms1147
    bsms1147 Posts: 2,261 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The child. And it should be paid. Anything else would be a bad life-lesson.
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    In what way was it a 'genuine mistake'?
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    dzug1 wrote: »
    In what way was it a 'genuine mistake'?

Well Sir, as said we only became aware of it as the call arrived to the Mother from the child, it was a long time since any of us used the bus service in any regularity, and even then we got on at the rear and there was a conductor.
    So naturally we would think that 18 is the classed as adult fare, it just one of those things that never really crossed anyone's mind as such.
    I don't think I was asking to see if there was a way to avoid paying etc, it's not as if the 'offenders' family would have to re-mortgage or visit a pay day loan company to cover the penalty fare.

The question as levied in the original post was more about the penalty liability and minor status of the defendant, giving personal details to in effect a stranger etc etc.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    rash161 wrote: »
    Inform the child not to give personal details to strangers in the future
    Before somebody says that the inspector had no right to take the name and address, bus staff have the authority to take names and addresses under The Public Service Vehicles (Conduct of Drivers, Inspectors, Conductors and Passengers) Regulations 1990.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    It sounds as though we weren't told the whole story. If it was the parents that bought the incorrect ticket, then obviously it is them that the penalty is directed at.

Though the bus company may have not applied this logic themselves...
  • Jeff_Bridges_hair
    Options
    DUTR wrote: »
    Well Sir, as said we only became aware of it as the call arrived to the Mother from the child, it was a long time since any of us used the bus service in any regularity, and even then we got on at the rear and there was a conductor.
    So naturally we would think that 18 is the classed as adult fare, it just one of those things that never really crossed anyone's mind as such.
    I don't think I was asking to see if there was a way to avoid paying etc, it's not as if the 'offenders' family would have to re-mortgage or visit a pay day loan company to cover the penalty fare.

The question as levied in the original post was more about the penalty liability and minor status of the defendant, giving personal details to in effect a stranger etc etc.

I notice you said you got on at the rear but I am struggling to think of anywhere in the UK apart from London that has a door at the rear, apart from those that are bendy buses in places like Bristol, so where did this occur?
    "If you no longer go for a gap, you are no longer a racing driver" - Ayrton Senna
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure