Just needed to be heard for a little while

Options

Comments

• whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You could just lie down on the floor and tell them you've stopped breathing - see if you get the kiss of (your) life.

However, these things often don't go to plan. When I was a single parent, I rehearsed with my son what to do if the smoke alarm went off. I drilled into him that if he couldn't wake me then he needed to leave the house / go to the door without me. One day, he was happily playing in the bath. I was in the bathroom with him when I suddenly thought, I know, I'll see what he does.

I lay on the bathroom floor with my eyes shut, going beep, beep, beep. He sat bolt upright and said worriedly, 'What's that?'

Still with my eyes closed, I said it's the smoke alarm, what are you going to do?

He said, Come on mummy. I said, I can't, I am asleep and can't open my eyes. Remember what I told you if you can't wake mummy up.

So I hear him get out of the bath quickly. Then a huge wet lump lands heavily on me as he sits astride me and before I could even open my eyes, he gave me a stinging slap around the face, saying, 'WAKE UP, MUMMY!'

Bless him, at least he learnt problem-solving skills.

I feel a lot better today than yesterday but DH is headachy today.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • Waves_and_Smiles
    Waves_and_Smiles Posts: 5,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 8 October 2014 at 12:32PM
    Options
    Details of fireman later please Pyxis!

Hahahaha that made me laugh, whitewing. At least your son didn't want to abandon you? He sounds a little sweetheart.

I am better today, just mildly frustrated and amused with MIL. She asked WaSp to give her a list of what I would like for my birthday, he told her she would love it if you made her up a cheap hamper. MIL was horrified and said that isn't a proper gift and told him off! I have always wanted a hamper, for years. Not an expensive one, I would be fine with a few sweets in a box wrapped in cellophane, it is the thrill of seeing what is in it that I would like and how pretty it looks. WaSp won't even consider it (too girly for him to put together) and apparently neither will MIL so I have to think of something else.

She says cuddly toys also aren't a proper present so now I am stuck. I don't really have many needs or wants and it needs to be something inexpensive. That is why I suggested a cheap hamper so that she could put things in it from the pound shop. Any ideas, anyone?
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened - Anatole France

If I knew that the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant apple trees today - Martin Luther King
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 October 2014 at 12:38PM
    Options
    Didn't someone recommend you a detangling hairbrush earlier in the thread, WaS?

How about your moisturiser?

There is always BIL's cushion.

Candles.

Plants.

Flowers.

Packet cake making mix or biscuit making mix.

Gregorian chant CD.

Suncatcher things for the window.

Windchime.

Gnome.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • haybel19
    haybel19 Posts: 1,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Details of fireman later please Pyxis!

Hahahaha that made me laugh, whitewing. At least your son didn't want to abandon you? He sounds a little sweetheart.

I am better today, just mildly frustrated and amused with MIL. She asked WaSp to give her a list of what I would like for my birthday, he told her she would love it if you made her up a cheap hamper. MIL was horrified and said that isn't a proper gift and told him off! I have always wanted a hamper, for years. Not an expensive one, I would be fine with a few sweets in a box wrapped in cellophane, it is the thrill of seeing what is in it that I would like and how pretty it looks. WaSp won't even consider it (too girly for him to put together) and apparently neither will MIL so I have to think of something else.

She says cuddly toys also aren't a proper present so now I am stuck. I don't really have many needs or wants and it needs to be something inexpensive. That is why I suggested a cheap hamper so that she could put things in it from the pound shop. Any ideas, anyone?

fibre optic lamp/light?
    Make £10 a day challenge November £125.60/310
    December 417.35/310 January 512.33/310

£1000 emergency fund challenge 0/1000

Rule of 3 challenge 13/365
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Does wasp know her budget?
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Any books on your list - just thinking about that flower fairy one?
    Sewing/patchwork stuff?
    Maybe she's thinking about a hamper as those awful food ones full of tinned ham, or whatever, so if you suggested a pamper one with nice body lotion, posh(ish) chocs or whatever she might be a bit more amenable.
    Someone to come in and do a hand massage/ manicure (might be a bit expensive).
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • DUKE
    DUKE Posts: 7,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Oh yes WaS I love the idea of a hamper too! Loads of MSE's make them up for gifts, & often use free samples for the hamper from off here too. You wouldn't believe they were home made, they're absolutely gorge!

What about a lovely new blanket? I've got a leopard print one & MrDuke has a black one. They're massive, lovely & fluffy & light, but nice & warm, wash well, tumble dry in no time. Cost I think was only about £8 from B&M Stores.
  • lostinrates
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 8 October 2014 at 3:55PM
    Options
    Who was it who loved shopping for things? I'm looking for a new house jumper for dog dog, I have two on a short list so far. Its just for her to wear in the house on cold days, she used to wear onsies, but she cannot since she broke her legs, great shame, as they were perfect, she liked them, they were soft, and had no fastenings to be uncomfortable or too unsafe.

http://www.greytsweaters.co.uk/page_3158973.html

I thnk these brindle ones are really beautiful. They look quite like dog dog, especially in the brown colour way, which might look a bit odd. And I'm not sure how comfy they might be, with the buttons?

This I don't like as much, but fleece might be more comfortable. I'de get a separate snood. I'd get it in the pattern arctic winter I think, which is in this snood picture
    http://www.grwe.com/product/polar-fleece-snood-arctic-winter/
  • haybel19
    haybel19 Posts: 1,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Who was it who loved shopping for things? I'm looking for a new house jumper for dog dog, I have two on a short list so far. Its just for her to wear in the house on cold days, she used to wear onsies, but she cannot since she broke her legs, great shame, as they were perfect, she liked them, they were soft, and had no fastenings to be uncomfortable or too unsafe.

http://www.greytsweaters.co.uk/page_3158973.html

I thnk these brindle ones are really beautiful. They look quite like dog dog, especially in the brown colour way, which might look a bit odd. And I'm not sure how comfy they might be, with the buttons?

This I don't like as much, but fleece might be more comfortable. I'de get a separate snood. I'd get it in the pattern arctic winter I think, which is in this snood picture
    http://www.grwe.com/product/polar-fleece-snood-arctic-winter/

Haha I am the one who loves shopping!

I love the first absolutely gorgeous. Is dog dog likely to attempt to eat buttons? I know my Max would. They look really snuggly though. Not so keen on the fleece - i find that fleece can go a bit bobbly as well.
    Make £10 a day challenge November £125.60/310
    December 417.35/310 January 512.33/310

£1000 emergency fund challenge 0/1000

Rule of 3 challenge 13/365
  • lostinrates
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    haybel19 wrote: »
    Haha I am the one who loves shopping!

I love the first absolutely gorgeous. Is dog dog likely to attempt to eat buttons? I know my Max would. They look really snuggly though. Not so keen on the fleece - i find that fleece can go a bit bobbly as well.

Its beautiful isn't it? that's why I like it, and the integral snood.

No, she won't eat the buttons, but I wonder if they might be in the way when she lies down if its slightly rumpled them?

Fleece's virtue is that its so very soft and dries super quickly. I'd prefer a neck like the other one and a different fastening.

I might need to keep looking...she can have two. If I got the first one I might need a back up one. Would it be weird to have a jumper so close to her own colour?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure