🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Just needed to be heard for a little while

Options

Comments

• lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You know what errata said about how good people are at lying to them selves about situations/ causes of depression etc? I thing relationships and parenting are KEY examples of it. I think its probably some sort of coping technique.

Big hugs was.
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sometimes, just sometimes, parents don't understand what proper .parental behaviour should be like because they never learned it from their own parents example.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,105 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Big hugs for WaS

Just thought i would check in and let you know i'm safe :) the beau isn't a serial killer so its all good hehe :P had an awesome birthday and yesterday was awesome too :)
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    (((((((((((((WaS)))))))))))))))))

.reply penguin.

I wonder if there's a possibility that your mother had threatened to do something worse if he either left her, or tried to take you away/get outside help? And if she did so threaten him, that he believed she would do it, whatever it was, and so felt that the status quo was lesser of the two evils? He obviously did love you very much, but felt utterly, utterly powerless.

I am amazed at how you have come out of this with so much empathy for your fellow humans and other creatures, and with so much strength. You could have been full of hate for everyone and everything, yet you're not, not in the slightest.

You are a very beautiful person, WaSsie! :A

End Reply penguin.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• Waves_and_Smiles
    Waves_and_Smiles Posts: 5,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 7 October 2014 at 2:56PM
    Options
    Thank you so much for being so kind everyone, I appreciate it more than I can say. My teacher friend was talking to me about it and asking if I need to keep reminding myself of the past? And why I don't get angry at myself and say I am not giving it headroom anymore. They are interesting questions.

A lot is PTSD which is largely out of my control but there is an element of thinking I deserve to feel terrible. That I deserve punishment for what I did to my family (which logically as an adult I know was nothing). How much I have control over what I dream and subsequently feel I don't know but there is likely a feeling that it serves me right.

I was told from the age of 16 onwards that my difficulty wasn't forgiving my family, it was forgiving myself. I still haven't managed it and I don't know how. Rather than getting angry that I am still thinking of it I am angry at me for my past.

That is also very true, Errata. My grandmother was a psychological mess and passed that onto my mother. No doubt someone did the same to her. My dad's father was a violent man who treated his children terribly. At least the chain stops with me...
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened - Anatole France

If I knew that the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant apple trees today - Martin Luther King
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The chain stops with you because you are so lovely.

I think for me, the greater my understanding of the mental illness itself and the genetic predisposition of my family to certain traits, the less personal what happened to me was. The more I saw it as poor coping strategies of the adults around me, the more I understood that it shouldn't have happened but it did and the less personal it was.

What I thought became less important than the fact that I had these thoughts as my poor coping strategy. I don't think you need to improve on forgiving yourself - as you get better you won't have the thoughts that you need to counteract. Not very good at explaining. Am still at work with mild cold symptoms.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • Waves_and_Smiles
    Options
    Aw, thank you, whitewing. I suppose even the fact that I look on it as forgiving myself implies that I think that I did something bad to forgive. Really, with the predisposition to mental and emotional illness in my family it would have been a miracle if I wasn't affected. Thank you, I shall try looking at it that way.
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened - Anatole France

If I knew that the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant apple trees today - Martin Luther King
  • DUKE
    DUKE Posts: 7,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You are indeed a miracle WaS!
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,344 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    yep, what DUKE said. I was going to look for a piccy to illustrate just that point, but got distracted! :D

I didn't find quite what I wanted, but thought this was pretty wonderful :) To WaS, but also to everyone on here who needs some cheering up today.

MIRACLE.jpg
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • haybel19
    haybel19 Posts: 1,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    yep, what DUKE said. I was going to look for a piccy to illustrate just that point, but got distracted! :D

I didn't find quite what I wanted, but thought this was pretty wonderful :) To WaS, but also to everyone on here who needs some cheering up today.

MIRACLE.jpg

That is lovely JM.
    Make £10 a day challenge November £125.60/310
    December 417.35/310 January 512.33/310

£1000 emergency fund challenge 0/1000

Rule of 3 challenge 13/365
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing