🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

DMP & Mutual Support Thread - Part 10

Options

Comments

• FuzzyDF
    FuzzyDF Posts: 147 Forumite
    edited 16 June 2014 at 10:23PM
    Options
    SC did warn me that the first couple of months could be bumpy. I think it's difficult for me as I would never have missed a payment despite digging myself into a deeper hole by borrowing to pay the predators. This is the first month that I'm not paying them and it makes me feel a tad guilty (I'm a bit of a softie if you hadn't gathered that already).

I keep having to remind myself that juggling money at the end of the month was making me so stressed and it would take me about 15+ years to pay it off as opposed to 5.

The way I'm feeling today as opposed to 3 weeks ago is indescribable. No more panic attacks, no more snapping at everyone, no more insomnia.

I dread to think what would have happened if I hadn't got the support from you lovely lot and SC. My angels :A
    LBM 2 June 2014
  • Puzzcat
    Puzzcat Posts: 4,200 Forumite
    Options
    FuzzyDF wrote: »
    SC did warn me that the first couple of months could be bumpy. I think it's difficult for me as I would never have missed a payment despite digging myself into a deeper hole by borrowing to pay the predators. This is the first month that I'm not paying them and it makes me feel a tad guilty (I'm a bit of a softie if you hadn't gathered that already).

I keep having to remind myself that juggling money at the end of the month was making me so stressed and it would take me about 15+ years to pay it off as opposed to 5.

The way I'm feeling today as opposed to 3 weeks ago is indescribable. No more panic attacks, no more snapping at everyone, no more insomnia.

I dread to think what would have happened if I hadn't got the support from you lovely lot and SC. My angels :A

Fuzzy most of us had never missed payments pre dmp and had the same feelings as you. It will all be fine.
    Puzz.
    Christmas 2020 £109
    I love my dmp started in Nov 13 with SC. Self Managed 2016 57% done
    £60062/25384.84 - 13222.60k UE

MY DIARY
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768685
  • TimeToDoIt
    TimeToDoIt Posts: 220 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    See lion. Want lion. Share lion.
    ~~I am debt free~~
  • TimeToDoIt
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I know what you mean about the missed payments Fuzzy.

I have the image of all the creditors saying "but she's been making (the minimum) payments on the last working day of the month for the past 10 years..... What is going on???!!! Send the boys round to her straight away....."
    ~~I am debt free~~
  • Powered_By_Pies
    Options

I was the same. Kept borrowing from Peter to pay Paul. The lightbulb moment when I sat down almost three months ago and realised after I'd been paid and all payments were made, I'd have £100 to last me the month. I had to bite the bullet and do something about it.

So far it's not been as bumpy as I thought. Wonga and NatWest CC accepted the repayment plan without issue. The old current and student account debts have been assigned to Westcot who I'm tentative with and expect the worst but reckon there isn't much they can do except sit on the sidelines, squinny, or sell it on again. The other creditors haven't yet responded but seeing as I'm still receiving default notices and I'm inside the 6 weeks it usually takes for all creditors to get back to my DMP provider, I'm still waiting to hear what they say.

But I feel so much better now I'm actually able to see money in my account for the whole month instead of burying my head in the sand and hoping my card would be accepted for fuel every time I went to the pimps!
  • Monkeyballs
    Monkeyballs Posts: 1,935 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't worry Fuzzy,

I was in exactly the same position as you were :) despite having a gambling problem I never knowingly missed a payment and went from being "a good customer" to a an Umper DMPer :(

I expected the worst and it was horrible...

I was sorely disappointed, with the exception of an odd call and the occasional letter (with a booklet dun dun durrrrrrr) as most were either fine (some were really lovely) or just sent a default notice and nothing else!

Just remember to let SC know when a debt is transferred to a DCA though and to let the DCA know your with SC :)

MB of G x
  • Monkeyballs
    Monkeyballs Posts: 1,935 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    TimeToDoIt wrote: »
    See lion. Want lion. Share lion.

A Lion is not a little fishy... My version of the Bible didn't* have Jesus giving his disciples Bread and Lions LOL a Lion is much bigger... And they would have eaten his disciples! They'd be all "Oh no Jesus, we're running from the Romans because of the Lions and you've soddin' brought them along for the ride! Jeez Jesus, such a !!!!!!... WOT a !!!!!!... tsk".

*I actually never read the Bible, so my RE teacher could have been lying because we were all just little kids at the time and Lions scoffing disciples would be a bit scary :( so I could be wrong... Sorry if I am God :(

MB of G x
  • FuzzyDF
    FuzzyDF Posts: 147 Forumite
    Options
    I now log into my shiny new bank account and see money in there :eek:

Bit of a shocker, but I'm sticking to my budget and am not touching it.

I know that Littlewoods/Very are going to come down on me hard but I will pop them on speakerphone and carry on working. I've heard that they've called debtors "thieves" down the phone. I won't let that phase me.......maybe I will the first few times.
    LBM 2 June 2014
  • Growurown
    Growurown Posts: 5,498 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    A Lion is not a little fishy...

I'd rather have the fishy. I can eat him with chips. Lion and chips....hmm no doesn't work for me.
    I now log into my shiny new bank account and see money in there :eek:

Bit of a shocker, but I'm sticking to my budget and am not touching it.

It is a bit of a shock especially when you have been used to stressing over every penny. Well done Fuzzy, it's a great feeling to not have to worry about it.
    DMP Mutual Support Thread No. 421

Debt free date 25/11/2015 - Made It!
  • TimeToDoIt
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    MB you're so mean about lions.

If I had a lion, I would love lion, and be nice about lion. Not make up wild lion tales to scare people.
    ~~I am debt free~~
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family