How much is your average monthly electric bill?

Options

Comments

• SamanthaA
    SamanthaA Posts: 345 Forumite
    Options
    Winter 2009/10, I came out owing Eon money & they put my leccy up to £71 per month - 2 bed terraced, 1 adult & 1 child perm residents & 1 adult daily visitor (DMum to be home when child came in from school.)
    I got given an energy monitor which I have scowled at for over 12 months. This month they decided that I`d paid them back and reduced payments to £25 per month. :beer:

Things I`ve learned are that the clock/ little red light on anything uses as much power as the thing on fully - be it microwave, vcr, dvd or oven.
    Economy 7 is a great thing, but u need to invest in timers, as I kept forgetting to turn things on!
    Living debt free, since Sept 08 & Dec 10 :wall:

"After a time, you may find that`having` is not so pleasing a thing after all as `wanting`. It is not logical, but often true." MR SPOCK

"Failure is always an option" Adam Savage
  • CompletelyLost
    CompletelyLost Posts: 2,862 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 April 2011 at 2:12PM
    Options
    Our was approx £150/month combined. But that was a winter bill (and a cold winter at that!) so it was a lot higher than usual. That's for 4 adults, 2 children living in a 5-bed semi detached.

Our previous bill was £83/month approx for both elec & gas.
  • k_moor25
    k_moor25 Posts: 279 Forumite
    Options
    We live on the Isle of Man and pay about £35 a month
  • Gordon_Hose
    Gordon_Hose Posts: 6,259 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Sorry, I should have said that's £60 for Gas and Electric a month.

2 adults and a bump in a 2 bed top floor flat.
  • Beckyy
    Beckyy Posts: 2,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Around £40 per month on keycard (so high comapred to Direct Debit payers). That's with 2 freezers on high, 1 fridge, 2 computers, TV, electric oven, washer dryer and all light/applicances.
  • schoolrunmum
    schoolrunmum Posts: 2,689 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    £120 per month with N Power...I always read the meter myself, and it's always been high-no idea why, 4 bed house,2 adults/2 kids..no elec heating,we have Calor for that.....our elec has always been sky high-methinks I'm paying to milk the neighbouring farmers cows or summat!!!!
    Debt-free...and staying that way...
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    edited 27 April 2011 at 3:44PM
    Options
    £120 per month with N Power...I always read the meter myself, and it's always been high-no idea why, 4 bed house,2 adults/2 kids..no elec heating,we have Calor for that.....our elec has always been sky high-methinks I'm paying to milk the neighbouring farmers cows or summat!!!!

That does look high SRM,
    At that price per month have you ever conisdered getting an elec meter to track down what is using the most elec? In fact npower were giving away free meters I think - might be worth seeing if they still do (assuming you are not about to switch). Even if they don't it might be worth buying one of the cheap ones for around £20, if the savings might make it worthwhile. In fact I think some libraries have meters you can borrow to see what is using a lot of power?
    How is your water heated? is it by elec imersion heater? have you checked that isn't on all day by accident?
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • backinbusiness
    Options
    £70 per month fixed direct debit. Averages out over the course of a year. Eco 7 at night for 2 storage heaters and main h/w tank. Couple of teenage girls so laptops; mobiles; straighteners! and all that stuff.

Had a look at uswitch and seems to be pretty reasonable. Good customer service which means a lot!

2 bedroom house.

BiB
    DF :grin:
  • Tabatha_Kitten
    Options
    Eleccy £28
    Gas £17
    British Gas finally seem to have got our payments about right !
  • Gordon_Hose
    Gordon_Hose Posts: 6,259 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Eleccy £28
    Gas £17
    British Gas finally seem to have got our payments about right !

Similar to ours really. Been with British Gas for gas and elec since we moved into our new build 2 years ago, and haven't got a bad thing to say about them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure