How much is your average monthly electric bill?

Options

Comments

• Seaxwyn
    Seaxwyn Posts: 4,896 Forumite
    Options
    I don't know, but Crown if you find such a site please post the details here. I often wonder things like how much does it cost to listen to a CD?

This year I started a campaign to turn off lights which aren't in use, turn the computer off if I'm going to be out for an hour, and this alone cut our electricity bill by £16/month.
    Total debt: 1 January 2007 £[strike]49,387.79[/strike] 1 January 2012 £[STRIKE]19,312.85[/STRIKE] 1 August 2012 £11,517.62

• coops024
    coops024 Posts: 166 Forumite
    Options
    Ive searched everywhere for the information about how much electricity each appliance uses !

even if its like

1 hour watching TV = 800 units
    Boiling Kettle for 2 cups = 1000 units

I can then see that Watching TV for an hour is less costly than having a cuppa !

If anyone knows (or has found a site) please let us know ! :T

P.S I know what you mean Crown about having your own server :D I was on a train streaming a video file to my phone via 3G from my server ! Geeks and Gadgets rule ! (mind you that is what got me in debt :mad: )
    LBM - 20/05/07
    Well that all went FUBAR
  • immoral_angeluk
    immoral_angeluk Posts: 24,506 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    last month we used £20 worth of electric. That's 2 adults, 2 children under 3 with the pc and tv on pretty much all day, electric cooker but no dishwasher or tumble drier. However we pay £65.50 a month for combined gas and electric because we use more in winter so it evens out.

Could it be your bill was an average based on your usage over the year?
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt £29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • Crown
    Crown Posts: 1,377 Forumite
    Options
    Could it be your bill was an average based on your usage over the year?

Hi IA, I think your right that it is an average over the year but if im paying £82 on average each month thats £984 a year and if I look at this way I reckon thats far to much.

Desperate times call for desperate measures!
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 297 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts :D
  • rayday2
    rayday2 Posts: 3,960 Forumite
    Options
    We pay £76 a month we have gas in our house but we only use it for the combi boiler we don't use the heating as its not effective, does not warm downstairs up as not enough rads downstairs. Our cooking is all electric.

Also in the winter I use a plug in oil filled radiator on a timer so now my electric usage looks pretty good compared to your £80!

I like the idea of that gadget posted I set about not using my tumble dryer this year but someone didn't tell the weather men that and with 3 children in the house I need my clothes drying when we do about 2 loads a day!
  • WhiteLily_2
    Options
    Ours is currently £55 per month - but they want to increase to £60 soon. (Scottish Power)
    We also have oil for central heating and hot water and that is £70 per month :eek: .
    Two adults and one child, live in large house and are all out most days!
    Have diswasher, washing machine, large fridge freezer, PC; 3 TV's; garage with all sorts of weird and wonderful boys toys;

Have tumble dryer but hardly ever use it!

And I do like my subtle lighting - can't stand dark houses I'm afraid - which seems to be most days with this current weather! :confused:
  • zebidee1
    zebidee1 Posts: 991 Forumite
    Options
    We're approx £80 month for electric and £36 a month for gas. (Hot water/heating only on gas, everything else electric.)

I think my bills are high but also fair for what we use as we are very much an 'electronic' family with almost always on pc's/games machines...and a tumble dryer. :o I do think we should cut down.....but that would partly mean not being on MSE as much. :eek:
  • peb
    peb Posts: 1,802 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Gosh - I am currently feeling ill about my gas bill which is £85 for the quarter; they have done the yearly meter reading and thus I must have been using more this year. My electric is usually £45 a quarter and the gas about a hundred for the winter quarter and 45/65 otherwise; I usually get a bill after the meter reading of about £3. However - I live by myself, watch about 3 hours of television a week, have the computer on maybe 4 hours a week and don't have a dishwaher. I have a tumber dryer but have not used it sine I moved house 3 years ago (keep it "just in case" although do think about freecycling it occasionally). All my lights are energy saving and there is at most two lights on in the house at any one time.

One way of looking at it is that if you are at home you are not out spending money - and the higher bills are a result of money saving.

The BBC did have some information but it was basic - I will go see if I can find the page.
  • deb_buffy
    deb_buffy Posts: 128 Forumite
    Options
    wow - We pay £20 p/m electric and £20 p/m Gas and are in credit for both. TV and Pc are on for at least 8 hours a day but dont use lights much i like to read by candle light(sad i know!) and heating is only put on in winter, summer its completely turned off. All my light bulbs are energy saving(39p at morrisons! atm)

I was horrified when we moved into our newhouse and British gas tried to charge me £65 a month for both. I think i would pay what you owe then find someone cheaper as what they are wanting you to pay seems an awful lot.
  • smudgemanc26
    Options
    I always wonder where they get their prices and estimated readings from i think sometimes they just do the pick a number thing mulitply it by so much.

Mine has gone up to £55 for gas and then £55 for electricity and theres just me really occasionally my OH stays but i wouldnt say i use that much im getting into this energy saving thing and make sure nothing is left on overnight.

I checked my online bill and supplied a meter reading and now apparently my electric has gone back down to what it was at £25 although the gas will stay the same until i have paid off what i owe them for having a debit balance over winter.

I am though going to buy some of those energy saving lightbulbs from morrisons that are on offer and keep an eye out on my bills so they dont guestimate my readings!!
    LBM - April 2007
    Claimed back my bank charges from Natwest - £1196
    Halifax Credit Card Claiming £467.35 Rec £467.35!/Capital One Card Claiming - £523.92/Barclaycard Claiming - £403.58 Rec £403.58/MBNA Claiming - £584.37 Rec£584.37
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
    Update: 2009 - Currently claiming £1900 from Natwest
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family