How much is your average monthly electric bill?

Options

Comments

• aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd love to have any of your bills. We are £48.50 per month for gas and between £120 - £140 for electric. Was around £160 for electric but I switched off the underfloor heating.

Granted it's a 4 bed house with 2 adults home all day but even so I have no idea how we use so much.
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • Janiceatkins
    Options
    Our combined elec/gas bill is £120 a month for a 3 bed bungalow.
    Last winter it shot up with the cold weather.
    Now we are both retired we are at home more but try to economise as best we can.
    I use EON on line package which lets you enter your own meter readings so you keep up to date with consumption.
    I am now in credit by £101 so hope the cost will not increase this winter. HTH.
  • podperson
    podperson Posts: 3,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We currently pay £58 a month for electric with Scottish Power, don't have gas so that includes cooking and electric as well plus we are paying off about £500 arrears included with that. OH and our temporary flatmate are home all day so pcs/tvs/consoles etc are on basically all day and night. Pc is often left on all night for downloading, immersion heater is left on most of the time and frequently fall asleep with the tv on. :eek: Once the arrears are cleared am going to have to look at reducing usage down! Think it does depend on the property though, we are currently in a flat which is fairly warm, last year we were living in a house with poor insulation and stone floors and it was FREEZING in winter so ended up using loads on heating (even with 3 jumpers on!!)
  • pennypusher
    pennypusher Posts: 331 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why don't you read your meter and see if it is the same as their bill or if they have estimated it. Then go round and turn off everything electric and make sure your meter has stopped turning round. Obviously plug your freezer and fridge back in straight away and gradually put the rest back on after checking you need them.

One thing that uses enormous amounts of electricity is an immersion heater so check the temperature is not too hot and it's only on when you need it and not all the time. Make sure you don't leave anything on standby, switch it off when not using it. Don't put/leave an electric cooker on for too long before/after you use it as it also uses loads of electricity. Hope this helps.
  • michael50
    michael50 Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    we use approx £40 per month gas and £45 per month electricity both are with BG on pre payment meters.

The gas will increase in the winter of course to i would estimate about £60 per month but i currently have £145 on my meter saved up for winter.The electricity shouldn't change much and i have £55 on the meter just in case.

ps i forgot to mention its a standard 3 bedroom house with two adults living here.
  • property.advert
    property.advert Posts: 4,086 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    £60 a month on direct debit with E-on on their best ever tariff (not now available). Paying the bill after 3 months would be around 30% more. No gas, all electric.
  • Spirit_2
    Spirit_2 Posts: 5,546 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We pay £51 per month with Scottish power. Heat and hot water/ cook with oil. It is a 3bed cottage with 3 adults. We love the online account as we can see our usage year on year and it has helped us to cut down when we were trying to become debt free.
  • Trivass
    Options
    Heres one for you - I switched to Scottish Power last September after going through all my usage and being quoted a lower price and thus lower monthly Direct Debit. I now find that they seem to have given me a lower monthly dd than I needed and I am now paying (wait for it) £355 a month gas and electric and am over £1000 behind on my account. Somehow I have apparently used close to 50% extra electricity over the winter, the figures I have been sent make little sense to me, and I feel I have been badly mis sold here and am at a loss as to what I do next - I was paying £180 a month with British Gas and now its over double that, so be warned, it feels like they will tell you want you want to hear to persuade you to transfer? I am at my wits end as to what to do now, its a private house 5 beds, usual tvs laptops x boxes etc and I work from home but have done for three years now so how on earth can it increase so much - all advice gratefully received please?
  • Googlewhacker
    Googlewhacker Posts: 3,887 Forumite
    Options
    Trivass wrote: »
    Heres one for you - I switched to Scottish Power last September after going through all my usage and being quoted a lower price and thus lower monthly Direct Debit. I now find that they seem to have given me a lower monthly dd than I needed and I am now paying (wait for it) £355 a month gas and electric and am over £1000 behind on my account. Somehow I have apparently used close to 50% extra electricity over the winter, the figures I have been sent make little sense to me, and I feel I have been badly mis sold here and am at a loss as to what I do next - I was paying £180 a month with British Gas and now its over double that, so be warned, it feels like they will tell you want you want to hear to persuade you to transfer? I am at my wits end as to what to do now, its a private house 5 beds, usual tvs laptops x boxes etc and I work from home but have done for three years now so how on earth can it increase so much - all advice gratefully received please?

You need to be looking at the number of units etc you are using and cost of utilities is going up.
    The Googlewhacker referance is to Dave Gorman and not to my opinion of the search engine!

If I give you advice it is only a view and always always take professional advice before acting!!!

4 people on the ignore list....Bliss!
  • Gordon_Hose
    Gordon_Hose Posts: 6,259 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Around £60 in the winter, a lot less in the summer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure