How much is your average monthly electric bill?

Options

Comments

• mkbean
    mkbean Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    You might consider an electrisave meter so you can see whats going on, i have one and its very enlightening!

http://www.electrisave.co.uk/

(cheaper on ebay)
  • Crown
    Crown Posts: 1,377 Forumite
    Options
    mkbean wrote: »
    You might consider an electrisave meter so you can see whats going on, i have one and its very enlightening!

http://www.electrisave.co.uk/

(cheaper on ebay)

Hi, Thanks for the link. I have never heard of this before. Do you know how it works? Will it just tell us how much we are using to allow us to calculate how much we will be charged or does it monitor all usage on individual items?

If it could save 25% as they claim I'll be investing in one!
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 297 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts :D
  • hypno06
    hypno06 Posts: 32,296 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have had a look at the Electrisave thing - looks interesting and on ebay you can get a new one including postage for about £56 so will show OH when he gets home.

My electricity and gas bill combined are a whopping £147 a month - increased earlier this year from £84 combined a month!!!

Have always been in credit until we switched to Powergen almost a year ago, we were then presented with the biggest hugest bill in the world (or so it seems!) for our winter quarter. The meter shows it was right so obviously down to us to reduce our usage BIG TIME!

We used to have a prepayment meter - although the electric per unit was more expensive, we certainly kept an eye on things and as a result our costs were really pretty low.
    Successful women can still have their feet on the ground. They just wear better shoes. (Maud Van de Venne)
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone (Neale Donald Walsch)
  • Crown
    Options
    Hypno, Our situation is the same in the sense that we used to have a prepaid meter card although we had to get rifd of it as nowhere was selling accepting the top up card in area anymore so we switched.

My Gas Bill is probally around £65 a month meaning that we both seem to be paying £147 for our utilities!.

Have you looked into moving using one of the comparison sites as yet? Im pretty sure we could both get better deals although as I mentioned I firstly need to get rid of my arrears.
  • hypno06
    hypno06 Posts: 32,296 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Crown, yes I do want to switch, but because the winter bill was way more than expected, the previous monthly payment credits did not cover it and we ended up in arrears with the monthly payment put up to £147. I am hoping that because of summer usage this will have evened itself out fairly soon, by which time I will be ready to switch (through quidco of course!!).

Shortly after getting the big bill, I did get a customer service courtesy call to see if I was happy with the service! Needless to say, the girl at the end of the phone was sorry she called me by the end of it :rotfl:
    Successful women can still have their feet on the ground. They just wear better shoes. (Maud Van de Venne)
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone (Neale Donald Walsch)
  • coops024
    coops024 Posts: 166 Forumite
    Options
    Very intresting thread :rolleyes:

My Electricity bill is set at £92 a month :eek: but we dont have gas (electric only)

We try to be as energy efficant as possible. we have an LCD TV, only use the tumble dryer when its raining! (so alot recently :mad: ) and try to cook 2 meals at once in the oven

on the down side my PC is on 24/7 (it acts as a server) hallogen bulbs everywhere :mad: (these were there when we moved in and are all sunk into the cealing) and we drink alot of tea so the kettle is on about 10 times a day (but we only boil what we need) !

On the same subject (sort of ) does anyone know what appliances use the most electricity? for example is leaving the PC on all night worse than boiling the kettle 5 times ? or will leaving a light on all day be worse than having a sterio on standby all night ? If leaving my PC on 24/7 will have a huge impact on my bill then I may think about getting someone else to host for me ?
    LBM - 20/05/07
    Well that all went FUBAR
  • Crown
    Options
    Coops, I also run a computer as a server from home now that broadband is quite stable now. I never really thought it would cost that much to run but may have to look into actually how much it is costing as it could be cheaper to just get a dedicated server if Im paying over the odds on my electric bill although the Geek in me loves the freedom I have with my own server lol ;)
  • Penny2myName
    Penny2myName Posts: 1,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Quite often my pc's get left on, and it doesn't have a huge inpact on my bills. All my big kitchen appliences are A rated though (apart from chest freezer thats C rated)
    19th March 2007 LBM£5,969.63 1st January 2018 £5960.18, 1st January 2019 £11,032.0018th August 2023 £12,435.00, Student Loan £22244.00 From 2009-12Challenges: To learn to stop spending..
  • Crown
    Options
    Does anyone know of a site that can give you info on what uses the most electric? I know that leaving things on standby are still using nearly the same amount of electric as if I had left it on but I really want to cut this bill down as much as I can.
  • bananakinz
    bananakinz Posts: 302 Forumite
    Options
    Are you on an economy seven meter with day units and night? Or the same rate all day? To break even on the day/night meter its something like 20% night of your total bill, if its less than that you'd be better off having a flate rate charge.

When do you do your washing? As march 06 after receiving a whopping winter bill, ok I was also using tumble dryer without much thought I changed my habits and now do my washing in the night. My bills have been reduced dramatically, for instance I only used £30 of leccy in the July - Sept period last year, and last winters bill was £50 cheaper than the previous over the quarter - and thats without changing supplier!
    Proud to be dealing with our debts - We WANT to be debt free DEC 09 :rolleyes:
    Grocery challenge: £230 / £230 left
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport