PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Mortgage Rejected - HELP

Options

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    You still have a lower end deposit, are lending a lot of money plus a govt loan

Most people would be ploughing every penny into their deposit when it is low, you are spending money on gambling. It shows your priorities are not in order.
  • Lil_Me_2
    Lil_Me_2 Posts: 2,664 Forumite
    Options
    Lenders are getting very cautious of any large amount of money going in/out of accounts. For the past few years I've transferred £50 a month to my housemate (ex) to cover any potential household related expenses. We're now in the process of splitting the finances in advance of me moving out, and he applied for a mortgage a few weeks ago. Later that week he transferred £500 out of the savings account into his own account, and then sent that onto me. It just so happened that it was the same day that the lender looked at his account!

Luckily the lender was his own bank, and they called him to discuss it with him before deciding that it really wasn't a big deal. Neither of us considered that it might be a problem, we're both financially stable and that amount wouldn't cause either of us any hardship on an average month but it was enough to spook the lender and they wanted to know if it would be a regular thing or not. Lesson learned to just keep the finances squeaky clean for the lender.
  • mak12345
    mak12345 Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    Totally agree with that point but I'm surprised it wasn't discussed rather than just rejected. Let's see what the appeal process will bring!
  • mak12345
    Options
    Marliepanda we are using the help to buy scheme as it suites our needs and future earnings. The deposit we have I'd say is significant and could be used to purchase an average house around here.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    It is a lot of money, but in comparison to the price of the house it is low.
  • mak12345
    Options
    Agree with that but that is not the issue (well it might be a factor) the big issue is one £2k gambling transaction in 2 years. I'm hopeful that the reasoning will be listened to. I could get some of the other directors to confirm its part of a syndicate and transfer all of the money back into my current account. I do appreciate everyone's input and to make it clear again I'm clearly in the wrong here as the only person that matters, the underwriter, thinks so!
  • DebtFree14_2
    Options
    mak12345 wrote: »
    Marliepanda we are using the help to buy scheme as it suites our needs and future earnings. The deposit we have I'd say is significant and could be used to purchase an average house around here.

Mark look at what you are saying. Your telling us how £2000 is only 30% of your monthly wage and its pittance and a one of transaction. Banks only want the last 3-6 months pay and bank statements because they want to see how things are now. The fact you haven't gambled before makes no difference, this could be the start of it all. Also you are using the Help To Buy scheme which lenders are more strict on. On one hand you seem to have so much money your bank can't hold it and on the other you are using a government scheme to help you buy a house. 40K in the bank, purchase price of 465K. You near enough have a 10% deposit. Why are you using a scheme?? This i think is the main issue. The Lender will look at the scheme as the fact you can't really afford things on your own and then you blow 2K gambling. Have you tired looking at getting it without the Gov schemes?
    Current Debt
    Net Monthly Pay £2550
    [STRIKE]Barclaycard £0 / £2500 (23.9%)[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]Lloyds Credit Card Settled[/STRIKE]
    Lloyds Bank Loan £10200 - £456 / 36months
    Debt Free Dream:01/04/15
  • thequant
    thequant Posts: 1,220 Forumite
    Options
    mak12345 wrote: »
    Agree with that but that is not the issue (well it might be a factor) the big issue is one £2k gambling transaction in 2 years. I'm hopeful that the reasoning will be listened to. I could get some of the other directors to confirm its part of a syndicate and transfer all of the money back into my current account. I do appreciate everyone's input and to make it clear again I'm clearly in the wrong here as the only person that matters, the underwriter, thinks so!

As others have said pretty dumb to put this through your account just before a mortgage application, anyways what done is done.

I don't gamble so much myself these days, but I am a professional gambler. At my height I was probably transacting £10k-£20k per month through my bank account. The actual turnover per month was in excess £100k on the various betting sites.

Back in days before the crash, this did raise a few eyebrows. However closer inspection of my accounts showed I consistently made a profit and the banks weren't to concerned to deny me credit.

However we do live in a different world now, if you are doing any kind of gambling online then it's best to use a e-wallet like netteller. This way the bank doesn't get to see your betting transactions which are going to red flag your account.
  • thequant
    thequant Posts: 1,220 Forumite
    Options
    DebtFree14 wrote: »
    Mark look at what you are saying. Your telling us how £2000 is only 30% of your monthly wage and its pittance and a one of transaction. Banks only want the last 3-6 months pay and bank statements because they want to see how things are now. The fact you haven't gambled before makes no difference, this could be the start of it all. Also you are using the Help To Buy scheme which lenders are more strict on. On one hand you seem to have so much money your bank can't hold it and on the other you are using a government scheme to help you buy a house. 40K in the bank, purchase price of 465K. You near enough have a 10% deposit. Why are you using a scheme?? This i think is the main issue. The Lender will look at the scheme as the fact you can't really afford things on your own and then you blow 2K gambling. Have you tired looking at getting it without the Gov schemes?

100% Spot on post

As someone who builds risk models I can the OP how the banks look at this.

The bank could do a more rigorous risk quant based analysis and find that out those who are problem gamblers, are those who have never gambled before but then suddenly spend >30% of their wages in one month.

However there will be those like the OP who have a rational reason for such behaviour.

So it may be that 4 out 5 (i.e. 80% ) people showing such behaviour that turn into problem gamblers.

However this is the crux of the matter, you have raised your risk from 0.1% to 80%

The figures above are for illustrative purposes, and since the mortgage rules are new, they wont have such sophisticated risk models. Although they will have at some point.

So in the meantime, you are down to the opinion of the underwriter and your behaviour on paper has just massively increased your risk to the bank.
  • mak12345
    Options
    A one off gambling transaction I still don't think is an issue. I can not see how this is any different to someone who books a holiday, buys a case of alcohol etc. I've no past issues with gambling or credit so making an assumption it's the start of a downward spiral is harsh. As I've said before it was clearly stupid as it's been rejected by the underwriter. Whilst I agree more stringent measures for lending are a good thing this seems a step to far. Plus your lifestyle is linked to your financial commitments, I'd think nothing of blowing £500-£1000 on a night out currently which of course would change if I had a mortgage to pay for. Assuming that because I've decided to put some money into an account for a big sporting event I'm all of a sudden I've lost all control is madness.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport