PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Mortgage Rejected - HELP

Options

Comments

• ognum
    ognum Posts: 4,851 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mak12345 wrote: »
    But there is no other history of gambling on the account? Surely the fact that it is a one off which can be confirmed by many years of bank statements and the fact the World Cup is next month? I've also not lost this money it's sat in sky bet which I can transfer back? I will have in the region of £20k left in the account once all the mortgage stuff is done as my partner also has funds going in. I can see to a point why it's been raised by them but with no other evidence of gambling or poor money management am surprised its been rejected.

Mak12345

You appear to be someone who is not used to not getting exactly what you want and nothing is your fault

You are here arguing with yourself, the underwriter has a right to refuse who he wants, if you are as clever and worldly wise as you say why oh why did you put this gambling debt through your account on the month you applied for a mortgage, it is foolish in the extreme! It is poor money management.

Chalk it up to experience and try another lender.
  • ermine
    ermine Posts: 757 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    But there is no other history of gambling on the account? Surely the fact that it is a one off which can be confirmed by many years of bank statements and the fact the World Cup is next month? I've also not lost this money it's sat in sky bet which I can transfer back? I will have in the region of £20k left in the account once all the mortgage stuff is done as my partner also has funds going in. I can see to a point why it's been raised by them but with no other evidence of gambling or poor money management am surprised its been rejected.
    I wouldn't lend you money if I were a lender. Gambling is a known addictive liability. That doesn't mean everyone who gambles loses themselves to it but it elevates the risk.

It's a different world now. If you want to borrow money then keep your nose clean. And if you want to indulge in gambling do it in cash or in a different name. In a panopticon there is nowhere to hide. Deal with it.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    In a year's time, an underwriter may take something like this in his stride and be more relaxed, asking for a few years' bank statements to see it's a one-off.

In the month MMR is introduced, putting such a case in front of an underwriter was certifiable. It would almost certainly end up like this.

Frankly, the minute your broker saw the bank statement, he should have stopped the plan to submit to Leeds immediately.

BTW FOS has no mandate to over-rule a lender's commercial decisions. If it had acted improperly in some way, yes, but there's nothing improper in declining an application on risk grounds, however slight you may feel that risk.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • mak12345
    mak12345 Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    Ognum - you can tell a lot from a couple of posts on a forum! Not sure how nothing is ever my fault? I put the gambling through my account my argument is I'm surprised one translation in 3 years is an instant no!
  • mak12345
    Options
    So I guess what everyone is saying if you gamble to any extent then you will not get a mortgage....seems very strange to me, I'd have thought excellent money management for a number of years would be way more important.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    So I guess what everyone is saying if you gamble to any extent then you will not get a mortgage....seems very strange to me, I'd have thought excellent money management for a number of years would be way more important.

You say excellent money management. I assume the 40k is your 10% deposit, (hence help to buy) and your joint income is over 100k, especially with those dividends and bonuses.

On that income, saving 'only' 40k is not good money management.
  • ognum
    ognum Posts: 4,851 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ognum - you can tell a lot from a couple of posts on a forum! Not sure how nothing is ever my fault? I put the gambling through my account my argument is I'm surprised one translation in 3 years is an instant no!

Yes, maybe too judgemental but you have made a mistake you need to take some responsibility for that, you are not as money savvy as you believe.

While to you two thousand pounds of gambling debt seems of no significance, that in itself is interesting.

Now talk to your broker, discuss how you can resolve this, maybe if it a syndicate debt you could send paperwork to show this.

Good luck with your future submission.
  • mak12345
    Options
    Marliepanda - my earnings have not always been as high. During all of my adult life I've always paid back any money that I've lent on time and in full. I've never had any money trouble so for me that is excellent money management over a long period. I need to be clear here I'm not blaming anyone but myself but putting £500 in as part of a syndicate (which I can transfer back) surprises me it's a no. My broker is dealing with his BDM contact and if they ask for proof or bank statements going back further I would be ok with that. I understand they need to be careful but I don't think I'm high risk.
  • mak12345
    Options
    Ive seen the case put to the bdm main points:

- gambling is not illegal and doesn't form part of their published lending criteria.
    - excellent credit rating
    - one off and part of a World Cup syndicate
    - under 4 times joint salary without taking into account regular bonuses
    - good money management evident of no other debt and £40k in current account.

Clearly they are a commercial business so can say no to anyone. Not sure what my chances are of them looking into it my gut feeling is it will be computer says no! Next step will be to apply to someone else and just show bank statements up until the 18th May which is the day before the gambling transaction shows.
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,459 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We can argue on here all day Mak.

The bottom line is that the LBS underwriter did not like your case and as GMS says 'going to the ombudsman' is a joke - the door is shut there.

The problem lenders have with the new rules and bank payments such as you describe is that it leaves them in a difficult position.

If they allow clients to tell that it is a one off the lender has no protection if the regulator later takes a dim view of their policy.

The regulator has put lenders in a position where they will make value judgements on our lifestyles and spending.

You have possibilities with other lenders but no-one can say for sure 'this lender' will be OK with this and 'that lender' won't.

In the short term I can see borrowers running two accounts. One handling their salary and paying main bills and another (savings account) that transactions like this will come from. This will of course lend to lenders asking to see statements for all accounts as we move forward.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure