PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Mortgage Rejected - HELP

Options

Comments

• GMS
    GMS Posts: 5,388 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Your broker is a clown.

Ombudsman to appeal a decline? Really? No obligation to lend for any lender and no jurisdiction for any ombudsman to make them do so.

If the broker had seen the bank statements they should have used a lender who wouldn't want them.

Find a new broker and lender.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • mak12345
    mak12345 Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    So if you gamble to any reasonable amount you get declined? It's like saying everyone who has a drink might turn into an alcoholic! I must live in a different world!
  • Paypeanuts
    Paypeanuts Posts: 88 Forumite
    Options
    mak12345 wrote: »
    So if you gamble to any reasonable amount you get declined? It's like saying everyone who has a drink might turn into an alcoholic! I must live in a different world!

You think 2k in a month is a 'reasonable amount'???

:eek:
  • mak12345
    Options
    When I have over £40k in the bank, no debts whatsoever and £2k is less than 30% of my monthly income Yes! Also as I've said I can put the money back in my account as it's just sat in sky bet waiting for the World Cup.
  • MobileSaver
    MobileSaver Posts: 4,240 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    When I have over £40k in the bank, no debts whatsoever and £2k is less than 30% of my monthly income Yes!

Presumably the bulk of the £40k is your deposit so if they approved the mortgage it would be spent on the house and no longer available as a buffer for making mortgage payments.

You are very much in the minority if you think 25% of your monthly income is a reasonable amount to spend on gambling. No-one buys a £2k TV every month but a heavy gambler could easily spend/lose the same or more every month. That's what the lender is not surprisingly worried about.

As GMS says, your broker is talking nonsense about the ombudsman so if I were in your shoes I'd find another one who can find you a more suitable lender.
    Every generation blames the one before...
    Mike + The Mechanics - The Living Years
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,307 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

The reality of the current world is that lenders are required to make a risk assessment prior to lending, they can use whatever data they want to do so. They are not in any way obliged to lend.

So it is pointless trying to justify your actions as reasonable. If you still want a mortgage you would be best advised, as GMS has suggested, finding another lender who uses different criteria which suit your circumstances.
  • Bantex_2
    Bantex_2 Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    Options
    4 x joint income is a fair wedge.
  • mak12345
    Options
    But there is no other history of gambling on the account? Surely the fact that it is a one off which can be confirmed by many years of bank statements and the fact the World Cup is next month? I've also not lost this money it's sat in sky bet which I can transfer back? I will have in the region of £20k left in the account once all the mortgage stuff is done as my partner also has funds going in. I can see to a point why it's been raised by them but with no other evidence of gambling or poor money management am surprised its been rejected.
  • mak12345
    Options
    It's not 4 x joint income - if we put both sets of regular bonus and dividends in its well under 3 x income. I will have to bow down to everyone else superior knowledge on this stuff but it does surprise me.
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,940 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    But there is no other history of gambling on the account?
    There's no point trying to convince us! We're not the lender.

The changes with MMR had been signalled for a long time in advance. I suggest you stop trying to blame your broker and lender for making a perfectly rational decision (from their perspective). I suspect any other lender would make the same decision.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure