Free M&S current account - £100 in M&S vouchers if you switch

Options

Comments

• superrhinos
    superrhinos Posts: 279 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry, I am probably being a bit thick but can I just check that my understanding is right.

I have an old HSBC current account which I no longer use and have been meaning to close but never manage to get round to it. This account no longer has any DDs or SOs associated with it. Would I still be eligible for the £100 vouchers if I used this account to "switch from"?

Thank you
    GC: Feb (16th Jan - 15th Feb) £46.25 / £50 :)
    Mar (16th Feb - 15th Mar) £61.96 / £70
  • vouch0r
    vouch0r Posts: 205 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sorry, I am probably being a bit thick but can I just check that my understanding is right.

I have an old HSBC current account which I no longer use and have been meaning to close but never manage to get round to it. This account no longer has any DDs or SOs associated with it. Would I still be eligible for the £100 vouchers if I used this account to "switch from"?

Thank you
    yes.

but id personally like already mentioned put on atleast one DD when switching and a bit of cash in the old account though.
  • Herbalus
    Herbalus Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    vouch0r wrote: »
    yes.

but id personally like already mentioned put on atleast one DD when switching and a bit of cash in the old account though.

I wouldn't do the DD as, although it can be easy, a SO is much easier and pretty much instantaneous (even a Tesco DD takes a few days). But I agree that it makes sense to have something to switch, otherwise I fear that the switching team will get confused and something might implode...
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Herbalus wrote: »
    But I agree that it makes sense to have something to switch...
    I concur. I'll probably set up a couple of SOs and even a bill payment or two for this switch, deposit around £30, and wait out the 30 days.

I've absolutely no need for another account so I'll be closing this one just as soon as I've got the £100 vouchers (already have 3 other accounts I can use as donors, and I'm assuming there's only Tesco to come in the next few months(?) so I'll still retain a couple of donors).
  • Herbalus
    Herbalus Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    Options
    I'm assuming there's only Tesco to come in the next few months(?) so I'll still retain a couple of donors).

I've also heard virgin, and possibly sainsburys, but not sure how much of that was rumour or if I'm getting confused!
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Herbalus wrote: »
    I've also heard virgin, and possibly sainsburys, but not sure how much of that was rumour or if I'm getting confused!

I think I heard the same rumours. Whether they will offer joining incentives is another matter though I think they should do :cool:
  • veryintrigued
    veryintrigued Posts: 3,843 Forumite
    Options
    Well the 48 hours are up and no email received to indicate any decision whatsoever!
  • Hominu
    Hominu Posts: 1,671 Forumite
    Options
    Well the 48 hours are up and no email received to indicate any decision whatsoever!

When did you apply? If it was Thursday morning I'd expect 48 hours to mean Monday as weekends don't normally count.
  • jrm
    jrm Posts: 149 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I applied, online, just over an hour ago and have just received an email from them stating my application has been successful and my account literature will posted out within the next few days. Thats quick !!
  • Lomcevak
    Lomcevak Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    jrm wrote: »
    I applied, online, just over an hour ago and have just received an email from them stating my application has been successful and my account literature will posted out within the next few days. Thats quick !!

I got the acceptance email within about 15 minutes too:
    Dear Lomcevak,

Thank you for applying for one of our M&S current accounts. We’re delighted to tell you that your application has been successful.

In the next few days you’ll receive a pack containing important information about your new account including a copy of the terms and conditions. Please take the time to read these documents. We recommend that you keep them somewhere safe for future reference. This pack will also contain a signature form and an agreement form for you to sign. Please read these carefully before signing and return them to us as soon as possible so we can open your account and you can start to enjoy new-fashioned banking.

As soon as we’ve received your signed forms, we’ll send you everything you need to run your account, starting with your new M&S Visa debit card.

We hope you enjoy being part of M&S Bank and new-fashioned banking. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact us on the telephone number below.
    this despite opening about ten other current accounts (TSB, Lloyds, Nationwide, Halifax, the usual) over the last month, in case anybody is wondering.
    £40k-in-’23#18 £78,628.29/40,000 (196.57%)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure