RyanAir Forced Exchange rate

Options
I just made a purchase of a ticket priced in Euro and I specifically unticked the box that said:
If you do not wish to accept the exchange rate please untick the check box below. The rate on this currency transaction is guaranteed and will not vary.
If you untick the checkbox below, the rate you receive from your bank is not guaranteed, and is subject to daily fluctuations, which could result in a significantly higher cost to you.
Please go to our terms and conditions for details of our guaranteed exchange rate. We recommend you do not untick the checkbox so that you receive our guaranteed exchange rate

After unticking the box nothing happened on the website, which I found odd. At least I was expecting for the GBP amount to disappear, but when it didn't I was 99% sure they would request GBP from my bank and I was right. After checking my bank account I see that RyanAir have taken 54.25 GBP instead of 61.98 EUR, which is NOT something I approved.
This is a very shady tactic as their exchange rate is horrendous, compared to what my bank charges (around 4GBP difference).

I spoke with them on the phone via their Dublin phone number for special assistance and the person I spoke to was trying to convince me that this is how it works when I untick the box.

I sent a complaint mail to customerqueries@ryanair.com and via their web form, but I don't expect a satisfactory outcome.
I just hate the sneaky attempt to get more money out of people, so where else can I complaint?

Thank you.

Comments

• melb
    melb Posts: 2,873 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    don't know what can have happened there. I have unticked the box several times on bookings and been charged in euros. you're right nothing does change on the screen and sometimes I have gone back in to make sure I did untick the box.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've never had a problem avoiding the exchange rate although admittedly it's been more than 6 months since I last booked a Ryanair flight myself.
  • CYPER
    CYPER Posts: 238 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    melb wrote: »
    don't know what can have happened there. I have unticked the box several times on bookings and been charged in euros. you're right nothing does change on the screen and sometimes I have gone back in to make sure I did untick the box.

What do you get in your confirmation email?

I got this:

XuuoVld.png
  • NFH
    NFH Posts: 4,373 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Dispute the transaction with your card issuer, after your flight. Ryanair charged an amount greater than you authorised. Unfortunately most card issuers will swallow the small loss themselves rather than charging the disputed transaction back to Ryanair in order to save on admin costs. Therefore Ryanair gets away with this in almost every case, even when customers dispute the erroneous transactions.
  • melb
    melb Posts: 2,873 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I get this:- sorry have only just seen your post
    gfx-empty-7x7.gif
    Total Fare, Taxes, Fees & Charges37.99 EURCredit Card Fee0.76 EURPayment method
    MC
    Account name

Card number
    ... XXXX
    Payment amount
    38.75 EUR
    Total paid

• CYPER
    Options
    melb wrote: »
    I get this:- sorry have only just seen your post
    gfx-empty-7x7.gif
    Total Fare, Taxes, Fees & Charges37.99 EURCredit Card Fee0.76 EURPayment method
    MC
    Account name

Card number
    ... XXXX
    Payment amount
    38.75 EUR
    Total paid

So yours didn't get converted.
    I complained to RyanAir and this is the response I got:
    Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Ryanair.

As you are aware a GB Pounds credit card was used to pay for the flight and the amount was due in Euros.

Since you made your booking on the internet, you are aware of our General Conditions of Carriage that explain our policy in relation of bookings made in a currency other that the currency of their credit/debit card (see below):

"Passengers who pay for their flights with a credit card billed in a currency other than the currency of the country from which the flight departs will be charged in the currency of issue of the credit card,

inclusive of a ‘foreign user’ charge but you can check the actual amount to be billed in the currency of your card prior to payment being made."

Based on the information provided to us, the amount charged was correctly calculated as outlined above, and accordingly we cannot in this instant accede to your request for a refund.

Yours sincerely,
    Miki
    The Customer Service Team

For and on Behalf of
    RYANAIR LIMITED

And my reply to them was:
    Hi,

If your General Conditions of Carriage stipulates that "Passengers who pay for their flights with a credit card billed in a currency other than the currency of the country from which the flight departs will be charged in the currency of issue of the credit card." then why do you have an option in your checkout process that presents a choice to your customers to decide if RyanAir or their card issuer applies the exchange rate?
    If your General Conditions of Carriage stipulates that RyanAir always bills in the currency of the credit/debit card used then what is the point of this checkbox then?
    Having a checkbox, presenting a false choice, when in fact it is always RyanAir who decides the exchange rate is very misleading.

I strongly believe that it should be ultimately the customer choice of whose exchange rate to use and what you are doing is not exactly legal and as such I will proceed further with my complaint, contacting the relevant authorities.

Unfortunately the email (ryanairen@ryanair.com) I got the answer from looks like dead or at least is not monitored as I received an automatic reply listing options on how to contact them.

Where can I complain next for their horrible attitude?
  • NFH
    Options
    CYPER wrote: »
    Where can I complain next for their horrible attitude?
    I have already answered this question in post 5 above. Visa and MasterCard have strict rules about dynamic currency conversion. The card holder may not be forced or tricked into using DCC.
  • CYPER
    Options
    NFH wrote: »
    I have already answered this question in post 5 above. Visa and MasterCard have strict rules about dynamic currency conversion. The card holder may not be forced or tricked into using DCC.

Thank you. Spoke with the bank and they suggested to send them a written statement and they will look into it and open a dispute.
  • CYPER
    Options
    Just bought flights again and the option does NOT work AGAIN.

It is the law that the merchant should give an option in regards to DCC (Direct Currency Conversion).

I want to complain, so that RyanAir accept responsibility for this and change it, so that the customer can select.
  • NFH
    Options
    CYPER wrote: »
    It is the law that the merchant should give an option in regards to DCC (Direct Currency Conversion).
    Which law is that?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport