RyanAir Forced Exchange rate

Options

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,290 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    melb wrote: »
    However Halifax (it's a Clarity Card) have got back to me and said I must raise the issue with Ryanair before they can do anything. Does anyone know the best method of contacting Ryanair - is it the email address above? Also was wondering if the OP had got any further with his claim? thanks

You could certainly send an email and in the unlikely event that you get a response you could then show it to Halifax. However, what I would probably do is send a recorded delivery letter to their registered office in Dublin, wait a reasonable amount of time for a reply, and then go back to Halifax.
  • cinereus
    cinereus Posts: 2,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yeah, just send them an email or letter and when they don't reply tell Halifax they are avoiding you.
  • 4leafclover_2
    Options
    I have just had same problem with the website - I booked in euros, made sure I unticked the box for ryanair conversion rate to GBP (which isn't obvious) .... and yet it appears to have been put through to my bank as payment in GBP.
  • 4leafclover_2
    Options
    I followed this up with Ryanair to ask for assurance that by unchecking the box I should be billed in Euros.
    However I just got identical reply to Cyper - so they are still saying that you will be billed at their conversion rate in GBP regardless of whether you untick the option box or not to pay in Euros.

rom: ryanairen@ryanair.com
    date: 1 September 2014 14:09

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Ryanair.

Regarding your recent correspondence, please note that our records show that a credit card was used to pay for the flight and the amount was due in Euros.

Since you made your booking on the internet, you are aware of our General Conditions of Carriage that explain our policy in relation of bookings made in a currency other that the currency of their credit/debit card (see below):

"Passengers who pay for their flights with a credit card billed in a currency other than the currency of the country from which the flight departs will be charged in the currency of issue of the credit card, inclusive of a ‘foreign user’ charge but you can check the actual amount to be billed in the currency of your card prior to payment being made."

Based on the information provided to us, the amount charged was correctly calculated as outlined above, and accordingly we cannot in this instant accede to your request for a refund.

Yours sincerely,
    Gabby
    The Customer Service Team

For and on Behalf of
    RYANAIR LIMITED
  • SaveTheEuro
    Options
    That's a very poor reply.

This doesn't solve your immediate problem but in future use the Ryanair app rather than their website. There's no currency conversion on the app.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,445 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    melb wrote: »
    Does anyone know the best method of contacting Ryanair

I have had reasonable success with sending a fax.

Yea, I know, it's old fashioned but they usually reply.

http://www.ryanaircampaign.org/contact.html
  • firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    Options
    I have just had same problem with the website - I booked in euros, made sure I unticked the box for ryanair conversion rate to GBP (which isn't obvious) .... and yet it appears to have been put through to my bank as payment in GBP.[/QUOTE

I wonder why this happens to some people & not to others ??
    I unticked the box then closed the pop up window & finished the bookings.
    Just checked my credit card statement & the bookings have been charged in euros....
    Which is what I expected & what happened.
    So no problem for me.
    Does it perhaps depend on what credit card you use ??
    I use my Nationwide card.
  • MCGONIS
    Options
    Just to add some information about this subject.

I bought tickets on Ryanair on Friday. I only needed a one way flight from Malaga to Glasgow as I had booked the outbound previously during a seat sale.

The cost for everything was 103 EURO.

I paid using my Post Office Mastercard as they have no fees when you pay in EURO.

I got a pop up on Ryanair saying it would be 86.07 GBP and I unchecked the box.
    They still charged me £86.07. (1.19 EURO to £1 whereas card rate was 1.26 to £1)

I tried selecting Spain as my billing country but as soon as I typed in 5425 9810 being the first 8 digits of my card, Ryanair website knew this was a UK card.

So despite what some people have written earlier, I am now of the opinion that there is no way to avoid Ryanair forcing a EURO payment to go through in GBP when your card is issued in the UK.

:mad:
  • SaveTheEuro
    Options
    MCGONIS wrote: »
    J I am now of the opinion that there is no way to avoid Ryanair forcing a EURO payment to go through in GBP when your card is issued in the UK.

:mad:

You get a pure exchange rate if you use the Ryanair app rather than their website.
  • jayok
    jayok Posts: 753 Forumite
    Options
    I booked two sets of flights Dublin to Glasgow yesterday and both of them were charged to my CC in €. I am using Firefox so it does work
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure