Only freedom will do

Options

Comments

• Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Options
    Sounds FAB. Definitely a place for candles, soft music and peace.

Re heated towel rail, if it is chrome.....Please bear in mind they look great, do keep the bathroom warm, but need constant 'buffing'. I would still have them again though :)

Tilly x x
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,469 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How do you buff yours Tilly (and other questions that don't sound odd)?

I think the chrome ones look far nicer than the white ones. You can get darker ones (closer to carbon), but I don't think that these would look very attractive in a bathroom with light stone tiles etc.

Forgot, bathroom mirror will need to be a fancy one with an LED surround, Mrs E fell in love with the one in our current flat!
  • Hollyboll
    Options
    On Mrs Ed, might be worth seeing if you can find a voucher on a deal for some kind of treatment thingy (massage / facial ) - lastminute do some but you are a guru of deals so am sure you'll know other places. I know it's money out, but moving is so physically tiring as well as emotionally that it might be worth it. Or failing that, a lovely shower gel and facemask could use INOD's idea which is fab.

Bathroom - sounds amazing.
    - I got my chrome heated towel rail on fleabay and LOVE it.
    - I'm a bit scared to say this without a flak jacket, but have you ever looked at PVC panel thingies. I know they sound awful - it was first suggested to me when had to do bathroom wall quickly in btl and I turned up my nose immediately even for rental place. BUT I have since been converted and have them on my own bathrrom ceiling (plain white) and bits of walls with the left over from the rental (you can get mosaic, shimmer, allsorts). They are super cheap, look very smooth as tongue and groove, so easy to fit and supercheap on labour, have NO grout so no grotty cleaning / deterioating over time - few years on in heavy use rental they are spotless .. I'd never use anything else for a bathroom again (well unless I won the lottery and might get pure marble and daily cleaning :)). I used decor cladding (all one word) whose service was fab they are so helpful and will chat you through and send you samples.

Please don't drum me off the board for poor taste ....:o:o

Good luck with last day and night in 'Old' place
    Fleabay + Weebuy + Gumfree since started diary 94 items sold, £649.71 clear profit
  • edinburgher
    Options
    We move on Friday, so still a couple of nights to go :)

Don't worry Hollyboll, not overly snobby here (like a good opera, but will eat a kebab if starving!) My parents have PVC cladding in their bathrooms and it looks perfectly reasonable (they even offered us some free leftovers). I suppose my one concern would be that it would be faffier to fit downlights through both the ceiling and the cladding/vs just the ceiling?
  • lulabelle1
    lulabelle1 Posts: 2,693 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The bathroom plans sound fantastic, great choices!
  • Hollyboll
    Hollyboll Posts: 317 Forumite
    edited 28 October 2015 at 11:35AM
    Options
    We move on Friday, so still a couple of nights to go :)

Don't worry Hollyboll, not overly snobby here (like a good opera, but will eat a kebab if starving!) My parents have PVC cladding in their bathrooms and it looks perfectly reasonable (they even offered us some free leftovers). I suppose my one concern would be that it would be faffier to fit downlights through both the ceiling and the cladding/vs just the ceiling?

Phew, thanks Ed. No, the lights are no problem - I have recessed moveable downlight thingies in my bathroom (only place I do) and it's literally cutting through 5mm with a stanley knife - I didn't do the lights but am not great at DIY, but I have cut other bits of the panels to fit round pictures / make a small stand / other bits etc. Btw, the place I used does 5mm and 8mm and no point in paying extra for 8mm - still as waterproof / looks identical from the front etc.

And re the offcuts - it's supposed to be like wallpaper ie batches may be very slightly different. That said, I did end up using some from BTL to patch in bits of my bathroom but the official advice is not risk it at least without checking the offcuts against a new bit (assuming offcuts themselves wouldn't be sufficient for whole room).

And having read your diary through, knowing some of your amazing cooking, find it hard to picture you with a kebab :)
    Fleabay + Weebuy + Gumfree since started diary 94 items sold, £649.71 clear profit
  • turtlemoose
    turtlemoose Posts: 1,648 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I love those baths with the square end, we are also doing a full bathroom at the moment. Unfortunately hubby does not like them so we will be getting a P or B shape instead :(

We are also having a chrome towel radiator, and a cupboard built in under the sink, and a vertical strip of mosaic tiles...however we are going for pearlescent rainbow colours for ours :)
  • edinburgher
    Options
    And having read your diary through, knowing some of your amazing cooking, find it hard to picture you with a kebab :)

I am a walking contradiction at times HB!
    however we are going for pearlescent rainbow colours for ours

Sounds lovely, I would have liked something brighter (say a slightly metallic racing green or similar), but Mrs E is winning out with what's probably the best long term choice on this occasion.
  • Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Options
    Hi Mr E, I use a microfibre duster and it works brilliantly. Tend to do it 2-3 times a week.

Best wishes Tilly x x
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • hiddenshadow
    Options
    Love the sound of the bathroom - we're still finishing ours (did the suite replacement a year ago but only installed the towel rail this month!). Downlighters sound quite nice, we went with a standard ceiling fixture.

Make sure you really like whatever tiles you choose - we ripped out floor-to-ceiling tiles in the bathroom and it was a very long, tiring day! Went with floor-to-ceiling tiles around the bath and opted for wood cladding along the other walls (as the paint colour on the walls above is much easier to change than tiles!). I like that it seems to open the space up a bit more than when it was all tiles.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure