Only freedom will do

Options

Comments

• PrincessLou
    Options
    I can't quite believe how quickly you've been able to move house...seems like yesterday you were just floating the idea :T

How much will your new mortgage be?
    Mortgage - £105,500
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 October 2015 at 2:13PM
    Options
    A rather hefty £180,995.

Now concluded on both sides of chain :beer:
  • Luckyinlife
    Luckyinlife Posts: 1,613 Forumite
    Options
    180k ohhh thats a big sum to me ed hehe

Im sure you will get that down tho

Do you plan to OP much ?
    Mortgage--- [STRIKE]£67700 March 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£65221 April 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£64983 July 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£64780 sept 15[/STRIKE] Remortgage [STRIKE]£67295 oct 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£66599 Nov 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£65878.73 Dec 15[/STRIKE][STRIKE] £64834 1st Jan 16[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Feb 16 £64,511.89[/STRIKE][STRIKE] March 16 £64,056.40[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]April 16 £62550[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]May 16 £62,396.20[/STRIKE] Feb 17 £60.800
    Emergency fund 23k
  • edinburgher
    Options
    It's a mind boggling amount of money to me LIL, I am not sure whether I ever realistically plan on paying it all back!

Back in the dim and distant past, Mrs E and I had a discussion about how we could get the 'house of our dreams' (for that, read 'a house in a decent area where we would feel at home, with access to good schools').

I floated the idea that we would go for an interest only mortgage over 30 years, treat it like rent and save/invest the residual money that we would have paid as capital over the term. At the end of 30 years we could either a) buy the house if we loved it or b) sell the house, walk away and live off of investment returns.

It has since transpired that IO mortgages aren't really for the likes of us (i.e. average earners), so this plan seemed like a similar idea, unfortunately more expensive than we would have liked in an ideal world. We don't live in an ideal world, just a nice one with very expensive houses ;)

I cannot see any point in OPing until it becomes more profitable than saving/investing. Changes to the UK tax regime from 2016 (No tax on interest up to £1k, new ISA type etc.) seem to have delayed this day of reckoning.

Ask me again in 5 years :rotfl:
  • Secret_Saving_Squirrel
    Options
    So glad everything has worked out and I wish you much fun and love in your new home!

Re premier inns, I adore them too and stay in them at every possible opportunity, preferably on my own so that I can totally lay around in pyjamas after a big fat bath. The white quilts and pillows...zzzzz And the breakfast is great. Again, better alone so nobody comments on how much you have had.
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
  • edinburgher
    Options
    They should do breakfast for dinner and then we could pig out twice a day for a fixed price :rotfl:
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I remember a few months ago that said you hoped to be in your new house by the end of October ..... and you will be!:j

Great timing as well, gives you a couple of months to settle yourselves in, ready for your first Christmas in your new home, and your first with your little girl, as well.

Genuinely chuffed for all three of you.
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • edinburgher
    Options
    Goldiegirl wrote: »
    I remember a few months ago that said you hoped to be in your new house by the end of October ..... and you will be!:j

*Just* Goldie, just :)

Very much looking forward to Christmas, first thing will be to get DD settled in. Hoping the peace and quiet and bedrooms on a different level to living spaces will help with this...
  • Luckyinlife
    Luckyinlife Posts: 1,613 Forumite
    Options
    It is to me aswell ed in i guess us normal folk can just do our best and see where life takes us

Hopefully this will be your forever home tho and youll be happier than you ever thought you could be :]

I will be asking you in 5 years haha

Got 2 bids approved today to on FC im going to aim to get Above 6% return after fees ect before tax that kills anything i can get on the market anything more will be a bonus :]
    Mortgage--- [STRIKE]£67700 March 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£65221 April 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£64983 July 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£64780 sept 15[/STRIKE] Remortgage [STRIKE]£67295 oct 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£66599 Nov 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£65878.73 Dec 15[/STRIKE][STRIKE] £64834 1st Jan 16[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Feb 16 £64,511.89[/STRIKE][STRIKE] March 16 £64,056.40[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]April 16 £62550[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]May 16 £62,396.20[/STRIKE] Feb 17 £60.800
    Emergency fund 23k
  • edinburgher
    Options
    Mrs E in a bit of a funk - seems overwhelmed by DD + packing. Anything I could do to buck her up bar providing chocolate? Currently working 10 hour days + all errands + more than my share of the packing being done already, so feeling stretched a bit thin :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure