Voting in NI

Options
Cotta
Cotta Posts: 3,667 Forumite
Hi All,

Is anybody voting in NI and if so is anyone/party standing out?

I've decided for the first time ever that I won't. I personally don't think it will make any difference who gets in and secondly I have went to elected representatives a number of times regarding issues and they have never been resolved.

Interested in your feedback.

Comments

• lazer
    lazer Posts: 3,402 Forumite
    Options
    In your position i wouldn't vote for on of the previous elected representives if they have been next to useless at representing you.

I will vote - always do, but haven't got all the leaflets through to decide who to vote for yet.

If everyone had the attitude that their vote doesn't make a difference then no-one would vote.

If for example there is 10% of the electorate sitting there thinking that, that 10% vote could make a difference, so if you feel strongly that you want one party to get in vote for them - your vote could make the difference.
    Weight loss challenge, lose 15lb in 6 weeks before Christmas.
  • Cotta
    Cotta Posts: 3,667 Forumite
    Options
    If all three MEPs and all Councillors are Sinn Fein it will make no difference than if they were all DUP or Alliance etc.

The fact is our politicians when you approach them usually have to plead with the civil service for help and it is they who hold the real power and are completely unaccountable to boot.
  • warmhands.coldheart
    Options
    It is a persons duty to vote..... people died for the vote, woman fought tooth and nail to vote.... even if you think it doesn't make a difference, you should still vote for the best person you think even if it's the best of a bad bunch !!
  • steveymp
    steveymp Posts: 2,797 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It is a persons duty to vote..... people died for the vote, woman fought tooth and nail to vote.... even if you think it doesn't make a difference, you should still vote for the best person you think even if it's the best of a bad bunch !!

It's also a persons right to choose not to vote surely :o

My wife has never voted in her life and tells me she never will, that is her choice, I always vote and always will, although I don't really know why as 99% of politicians are gobsh1tes :o
    I am trying, honest;) very trying according to my dear OH:rotfl:
  • NAR
    NAR Posts: 4,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I haven't voted for years either, basically for reasons given by stevey!

Thankfully I will be on holiday on voting day so polling cards have been shredded!
  • Old_Git
    Old_Git Posts: 4,744 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    the last time I voted it was for the good Friday agreement .
    I dont think any off them are worth voting for .

I did go on the electrol register last year as I had moved house .
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
  • jellynose
    jellynose Posts: 475 Forumite
    edited 30 April 2014 at 9:41AM
    Options

Women fought tooth and nail FOR THE RIGHT TO VOTE. I exercise my right not to vote due to the same reasons as steveymp's wife. I am so very disillusioned by the politics here. In my opinion its a case of same poo, different day, no matter who wins.
    Jellynose
  • flipperni
    flipperni Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    I will be voting. Sick to the teeth of the usual crowd so for me it will be UKIP. They cannot make any bigger hash of things than the last crowd.
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Old_Git wrote: »
    the last time I voted it was for the good Friday agreement .
    I dont think any off them are worth voting for .

I did go on the electrol register last year as I had moved house .

Weren't you the same punter who got severely upset by the evangelical councillors in newtownabbey and their objections to a play?

"I hope the voters remember this at the next election".

If you don't vote, don't whinge.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • Mr_Bun
    Mr_Bun Posts: 339 Forumite
    Options
    Used to vote whenever I first reached voting age and was young and easily swayed:o
    Haven't voted for about 20 years now...the majority of our politicians are a waste of space.
    The party I would come close to voting for however would prob be Alliance,although I won't vote for any party/person that I don't agree with all their policies/ideals,so that rules out everyone here:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure