The All New MSE Running Club.

Options

Comments

• indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    MallyGirl wrote: »
    Sounds wise!

Rest is always good.
    I am only doing the 5k as I am in good shape and hopefully i can go sub 20 mins. Then I can stop fretting about 5k times!
    Its still bugging me that I have run sub 20 for 5k but only in longer races! I would like a proper PB time.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,639 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I can understand that - although I am trying to focus on increasing distance rather than reducing times (with the hope that this will be a welcome side effect of being able to run further).
    I need to do 40 min run at the weekend so I plan to walk/jog to ParkRun, do the 5k, hop about in the finish tunnel to hand over my chip and then carry on to run home. It is looking nice and crisp but dry on Saturday here which I prefer.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • indesisiv
    Options
    I can understand that - although I am trying to focus on increasing distance rather than reducing times (with the hope that this will be a welcome side effect of being able to run further).
    I need to do 40 min run at the weekend so I plan to walk/jog to ParkRun, do the 5k, hop about in the finish tunnel to hand over my chip and then carry on to run home. It is looking nice and crisp but dry on Saturday here which I prefer.

The speed is a side effect of the volume of training that I have been doing its not the aim. The main aim is a marathon in June. But will start training towards that next year.

Its nice if you can run to and from parkrun, its on my agenda for April/May time as it is just over 10k to the parkrun so will mean a 15 mile (25k) run in total so I can do that on the sat and then do a 10 mile or so on the Sunday.

Will start putting in long gentle days on the moors next year too as training runs, I need to get off the roads in prep for the marathon as it is on Trails.
  • catherinekate
    Options
    indesisiv wrote: »
    I wouldn't have thought that it would take too long. I am guessing that your longest run would be about 10 miles?

On another note, I am still feeling tired! Think I may need to schedule a rest day or 2 . . .

10 miles sounds unbelievably far and would take about 2 hours for me at the moment! I'm doing 10k once a week at the moment, which is a little over an hour. Going to start counting in miles in January and man up a bit.

Feeling tired - no wonder - reading your schedule I am feeling tired!
  • indesisiv
    Options
    10 miles sounds unbelievably far and would take about 2 hours for me at the moment! I'm doing 10k once a week at the moment, which is a little over an hour. Going to start counting in miles in January and man up a bit.

Feeling tired - no wonder - reading your schedule I am feeling tired!

10 miles is probably the furthest you need to run for training for the half though. At least you are running 10k currently, its easy enough to add in mileage once you have a base.

I have got a gentle half to do on Sunday. We are running a big group training run.
  • indesisiv
    Options
    Bit of an easier week this week.
    Easy 4.5 miles on Monday
    Easy 10k on tues
    Club run tonight so probably around 8 miles at a relatively easy pace.
    Then no more running till parkrun on Sat, then probably something around 10-12 miles off road on Sunday. Or possibly 13-15 miles on road depending on the weather.
  • MallyGirl
    Options
    5k last night, more of an interval run tomorrow and then ParkRun plus on Saturday Unless the weather is dire in which case I will hold off and do 45 mins on Sunday).
    I had someone say 'don't overdo it with the weight loss' today which was a boost. I am not losing any more weight but my legs are definitely toning up a bit so I guess that is what they noticed - happy Mally!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
  • indesisiv
    Options
    5k last night, more of an interval run tomorrow and then ParkRun plus on Saturday Unless the weather is dire in which case I will hold off and do 45 mins on Sunday).

There is no such thing as bad weather! Just bad clothing.

I did parkrun on sat in shorts and t-shirt. I suspect I looked a bit daft with shorts and a t-shirt on scraping the ice off my windscreen :rotfl:
    If it is 2 degrees this week I am taking gloves!!

I was the only person on Sundays run (out of about 100) that was running in shorts and t-shirt. Most other people had jackets, running tights, gloves etc. Lots of people complaining at halfway after about 5 or 6 miles that they were too hot :T:T

I've got to start looking at increasing my running volume and length of runs soon, so that I can increase it slowly.
    Going to have to get on to plotaroute and find a nice run that I can extend slightly each time.
  • MallyGirl
    Options
    the weather comment is mainly because the Parkrun route is all on grass or compressed gravel right next to a big river - it is muddy and a bit slippery at the best of times but in heavy rain it is really not good and they have to warn people about taking the curves too fast (not me) and slipping over. 350 people can really churn up the surface pretty quickly into a mudbath. I don't mind the cold - I just wore thin gloves last week and it made enough of a difference, and I took them off for the jog home as I was plenty warm enough by then.
  • indesisiv
    Options
    the weather comment is mainly because the Parkrun route is all on grass or compressed gravel right next to a big river - it is muddy and a bit slippery at the best of times but in heavy rain it is really not good and they have to warn people about taking the curves too fast (not me) and slipping over. 350 people can really churn up the surface pretty quickly into a mudbath.

Yeah parkrun is a bit different to a cross country race. We are quite lucky that ours is on hard track mostly. So you just get the odd deep puddle to splash through. But you know that they are not that deep :) so you can just fly through them and try and soak the people that you are lapping ;) (maybe its just me that is mean :rotfl: )
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport