Are Ebay STUPID - i agree to a return - they rule against me!!

Options

Comments

• Sheppard_23
    Options
    I have had the same happen. I sent an item to buyer, well packed, and in perfect condition. Buyer claimed the item was damaged, and sent photos that completely contradicted what he claimed. He insisted on a partial refund, and his messages said he had already had the item fixed. I have refused part refund, as the buyer was abusove and said the item was badly packed, broken item sent, etc. he has also made threats that "the vendor get hurt" if i do not agree to the partial refund. He also said he "does not care how well packed it was or who caused the damage" he wants money back from me.
    I have said from the very start to return for refund. he has cdonsistently refused, and said the only way he will return for refun is if I send him £25 to cover postage, or £15 for his time packing the item up and I arrange a carrier. I thought this very very suspicious, as he originally wanted £30, and is now demanding £25 up front. I am pretty sure had I agreed, he would have kept the £25 as a "partial refund".
    He has already had 10 days of being told to return for refund, and insists he wants to keep the item, and will not return it. meanwhile Ebay have taken the money from my paypal account, and I now have to wait a further 10 days for the item to be returned.
    Had Ebay read from him the messages they would realise he has no intention of returning the item. He has ranted about why shoud he pay when it was damaged etc.
    Meanwhile I have placed a claim with the carrier, but expect the buyer to be uncooperative if they contact him for confirmation of damage.
    I have also found out that buyer has done this before, claimed an item damaged, and tried to get a part refund on it. That time too he made threats to the seller, in fact it was pretty much the same thing over again.
    I am just worried now he sends me a box of rubbish, instead of the item, and tried to get a refund for it. I will have a witness or two standing by when I open the box,a dn will take photos at every stage of opening, if it does come back.
    My daughter was defrauded of £70 by a buyer, who sent a tracking number for an item sent to a different address in the same town. Despite sending emails from Royal Mail saying the item was sent to a different address that was nowhere near my daughters, Ebay refunded the buyer on the strength of the tracking number.
    I really can't see how much longer Ebay are going to go before they start facing the consequences of their actions. Every rule change seems to make Ebay a paradise for fraudsters.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    I think that your best bet would be to phone ebay and point out to them that your buyer has admitted getting the item repaired which means that they are unable to comply with one of the requirements of ebay's buyer protection policy.
    When an item is returned to the seller
    • The buyer must return the item in the same condition in which it was received
    http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/money-back-guarantee.html

• Sheppard_23
    Options
    I tried that Shaun, but Ebay still insist I give him 10 further days to return.

I was a bit worried when he said his pal would repair it for £30, that if i paid him the £3o, he would then try to claim the repair cost more. What really worried me was that he claimed the sewing machine arrived with the motor "swinging loose from the bracket and hitting off the machine" but the phot he sent of the machine showed the motor damaged but firmly fixed to the machine, and not looking in the least bit loose. He then sent pics of the motor removed from the machine, which he claimed was how it arrived. he must have forgotten his earlier photos showed the motor firmly fixed to the machine. It is all these inconsistencies that make me think he damaged the machine after it was delivered. There is also a scam going where buyers ship these machines abroad after converting them to hand powered. They rip off the motor, then claim damage to the machine and request a partial refund.
    If I do get the machine back, goodness knows what damage he will have done to it by mesing about with it.
    Now Ebay have said they will refund the buyer on my behalf once the machine is returned to me, and will then take the funds from my paypal account. They took the funds the minute a dispute was opened, leaving a negative balance, (I never leave funds in my paypal acount) and now they want to take teh money out again. I said from the start I would be happy to refund the buyer once the machine was returned, so there was absolutely no need to take the money immediately.
    Seems a bit like a money making scheme by Ebay if you ask me. they take the money, make you wait 8 days to escalate the dispute then wait another 10 days to see if the item is returned. If they do this with 100 customers a day, then the money is making even more money for them. It seems that the bottom line with Ebay is how they make the most money out of a dispute, nothing about acting in the best interests of either the buer or seller.
  • Mandy44
    Mandy44 Posts: 288 Forumite
    Options
    sneaky wrote: »
    I
    Do ebay actually read the case details or randomly decide on a decision.

If the buyer escalated the case of course eBay will rule in his favour with you agreeing to a return.what did you expect them to do ? Cancel the case, maybe if you'd agreed to a return in the first place you'd have saved yourself the hassle and defect.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,328 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mandy44 wrote: »
    If the buyer escalated the case of course eBay will rule in his favour with you agreeing to a return.what did you expect them to do ? Cancel the case, maybe if you'd agreed to a return in the first place you'd have saved yourself the hassle and defect.

Your posts would make so much more sense if you actually bothered to read the posts you are trying to get clever with.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    Your posts would make so much more sense if you actually bothered to read the posts you are trying to get clever with.

But it's so much easier to post sarcastic replies if you don't actually base those replies on the facts of the matter.
  • Mandy44
    Mandy44 Posts: 288 Forumite
    Options
    But it's so much easier to post sarcastic replies if you don't actually base those replies on the facts of the matter.

:money: Too right Shaun, you'd expect more from a board guide tbh. :money:
  • steveE2
    steveE2 Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You really don't get it, stop Diggin_a_hole.gif
  • SpammyTheSpammer
    Options
    school restarts soon!
    I am a cow so cannot speak Bullshine but I do recognise its smell when I come upon it.
  • George_Michael
    George_Michael Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    b39cf532_712657d1337394705-need-some-help-identifying-watch-what-gen-seamaster-thanks-point_over_your_head_zps17a3a7c4.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure