We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Are Ebay STUPID - i agree to a return - they rule against me!!

Options

Comments

• heman2012
    heman2012 Posts: 175 Forumite
    Options
    Dont indulge such obvious trolling attempts by mandy, simply ignore.
    When the case was open, if a buyer doesnt respond to messages and its getting close to 'esculation day' I always click the return for a refund option.

Then they cant esculate it out of spite/malice/stupidity.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,397 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Leaving aside the unhelpful posts by someone who has perhaps not understood the situation and doesn't use ebay I concur with the suggestion tech that you phone ebay, and keep phoning ebay until they see the stupidity of this situation.

This is a known error in the system, ebay are aware and frankly should be doing things that I am too polite to mention to get it sorted.

However, under the new rules the opened case and the closed case 'against you' only count as a single defect- so you might as well keep the money and let buyer go hang. Under the current rules you would of course be doign everything to resolve this- but hey, ebay have introduced these new rules which seriously rule against good customer service so let them deal with this sort of daft buyer and take the flak, you have nothing else to lose.

Might I also just remind people that it is the Easter break from school and we do seem to get posters across the whole of MSE who only post in such breaks.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • purple321
    purple321 Posts: 524 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    In the OP it says "they have my money", I did read this as the buyer had been auto refunded or is it just ebay freezing the money?
  • the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    Options
    techspec wrote: »
    Buyer buys an electronic item, uses it for a week, says it does not meet his needs - can he return it.

Assuming he said this via the eBay messaging service with no mention of the item not be as described I'd called CS in Dublin, ask for a rep there that can review cases and point out buyer remorse is not covered by the guarantee and the case should be closed in your favour.

The way you've described the case system is unfortunately correct, did you ask them to return in the message field or did you hit the return for a refund link in the case?

As an aside if the buyer had the item for a week and you are a business, they should have the right to cancel (assuming there wasn't any sealed software included which they'd opened) as the minimum time for this is 14 days according to eBay policy.
  • soolin
    Options
    actually thinking about this, I had a spurious SNAD claim (basically a change of mind but went straight to a case). I had the option to close the case by offering a full refund- once I clicked that it escalated the case and buyer was given 10 days to return. They actually never did, so on about day 11 I phoned ebay and they closed the case in my favour.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Whiner
    Whiner Posts: 197 Forumite
    Options
    Mandy44 wrote: »
    Tbh with your attitude I'm not surprised the buyer asked eBay to make the decision rather than dealing with you.

You are clearly insane.
  • techspec
    techspec Posts: 4,464 Forumite
    Options
    Cheers folks - i thought id explained it wrong at first.

Ebay have made a final decision and its as nutty as a snickers bar:-

Decision:
    This case was decided in the buyer's favour. You won't have to reimburse your buyer for this transaction.

Comments:
    The buyer did not provide tracking information for the return. You don't need to do anything else.

So i don't refund and that's the end of things - but i lost :rotfl::rotfl:
  • soolin
    Options
    techspec wrote: »
    Cheers folks - i thought id explained it wrong at first.

Ebay have made a final decision and its as nutty as a snickers bar:-

Decision:
    This case was decided in the buyer's favour. You won't have to reimburse your buyer for this transaction.

Comments:
    The buyer did not provide tracking information for the return. You don't need to do anything else.

So i don't refund and that's the end of things - but i lost :rotfl::rotfl:

You had a defect as soon as they opened the case- and as you haven't lost money on this you might as well ignore it now.

Good customer service no longer pays- let ebay sort it all out in future.
  • sneaky
    sneaky Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had the same problem buyer wished to return an item due to change of mind.I politely reminded the buyer we are unable to collect due to change of mind a few days later surprise surprise not as described case was opened where I clicked the return the item for a refund.

The buyer was after a free return so escalated and ebay decided in the buyers favour 'buyer needs to return for a refund'. This was what I had agreed to prior to the escalation!! Do ebay actually read the case details or randomly decide on a decision.

This has left the more serious closed case without seller resolution defect and CS keep sending me to different dept without solving the problem.
  • soolin
    Options
    sneaky wrote: »
    I had the same problem buyer wished to return an item due to change of mind.I politely reminded the buyer we are unable to collect due to change of mind a few days later surprise surprise not as described case was opened where I clicked the return the item for a refund.

The buyer was after a free return so escalated and ebay decided in the buyers favour 'buyer needs to return for a refund'. This was what I had agreed to prior to the escalation!! Do ebay actually read the case details or randomly decide on a decision.

This has left the more serious closed case without seller resolution defect and CS keep sending me to different dept without solving the problem.

In future it won't matter whether it is escalated or not- as soon as the case is opened you get a defect. The only way that defect is removed is if you defend and win a SNAD which we all know is unlikely for a seller.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport