MSE News: EE mobile customers face 2.7% price rise in May

"Millions of EE pay-monthly mobile customers will be hit by a price rise of 2.7% from 28 May"
Read the full story:

EE mobile customers face 2.7% price rise in May

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• What a complete disgrace! Myself and my wife have contracts with EE. They end in June & July this year (2014). We will not be renewing them with EE.

I can almost hear EE directors chuckling in their boardroom! "Heads we win, tails you lose" Apparently a contract is only binding on the customer not on the supplier.

Well EE you can shove it where the sun doesn't shine. We will not give you another crack at our custom. I sincerely hope you go bankrupt!
    Goodbye!
    1005922 Posts: 176
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Mine expires in June I have already sent an e-mail to dispute the rise with the hope I will get out of my contact earlier but will wait and see what happens next
  • golfiematt
    golfiematt Posts: 275
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    I just rang ee. They say they are entitled to increase the price by inflation as per terms and conditions.(he said it's only 3 pages and I should have read it more clearly). I said I wasn't to speak to a manager,I got put on hold for a while then he came back and said there isn't one available.I asked for a complaints address and was given this.
    Orange customer service.
    P O box 10
    Patchway
    BS324RQ
    Mortgage free:beer:

[/COLOR]
  • robbies_gal
    robbies_gal Posts: 7,895
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    theres a thread here for complaints to be sent to alot of people have done so already
    What goes around-comes around
  • RandomCurve
    RandomCurve Posts: 1,637 Forumite
    There is already a forum on this - follow the link below.
    Post numbers are:
    #97 - How the proces is likely to run
    #98 - Chances of winning, and
    #99 - A template letter/email to send to our good friends at EE/Orange/T-Mobile

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4818999&page=5
    1. We won agianst T-Mobile last year - contractst cancelled penalty free for 40+ MSE forum members (and received up to £150 compensation)
    2. I have had 2 Orange price rises ruled unenforcable (plus £50 compensation)
    3. We have got out of our contracst when EE changed the T&Cs in February this year (3 out of 4 cases won todate - 30+ others awaiting a decision (2 of the cases received £100 compensation in addition to a penalty free cancellation)
    4. And we can we win this one too!
  • daleski75
    daleski75 Posts: 359 Forumite
    Glad to hear people are winning.
  • Ninnut85
    Ninnut85 Posts: 110 Forumite
    "As a result of rising business costs"

So this is to cover Kevin Bacon's fees then....
    Now a proud home owner after saving a deposit for 2 years :j
  • minislim
    minislim Posts: 357
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    glad i didnt go with EE now too!

i think the way forward is Payg. they cannot hike prices then.

and you find that you have a much better market position on buying handsets cheaper.
  • Netwizard
    Netwizard Posts: 830 Forumite
    minislim wrote: »
    glad i didnt go with EE now too!

i think the way forward is Payg. they cannot hike prices then.

and you find that you have a much better market position on buying handsets cheaper.

After being on contract for a while (sim only), I've switched back to pay and go, and I have to say, I agree with you.

Was on Ovivo, now on Giffgaff, but knowing i've got the freedom to do as I please is nice (I'm not a heavy user anyway)

Unfortunately, people will continue to lock themselves into silly 24 month contracts in order to get the latest shiny phones :( but even then, you can buy them outright and go on PAYG. Its much less hassle this way.
  • RandomCurve
    RandomCurve Posts: 1,637 Forumite
    Ninnut85 wrote: »
    "As a result of rising business costs"

So this is to cover Kevin Bacon's fees then....

And the handset is probably 50% of your contract price - which CAN NOT POSSIBLY be subject to RPI as they have already paid for it.
    On that evidence alone you can have the price rise ruled UNENFORCAABLE (it won't get you out of your contract. but it will mean they can't impose a price rise!!!

Also EE have already admitted - and Ofcom have commented as follows:

6.131 To demonstrate this point I]that there should be no need to have a price rise in a fixed contract[/I, in its response EE accepted that operators were able to forecast a number of cost categories related to their own network and operations reasonably accurately (although it did also argue that CPs should be able to pass on any costs that they were unable accurately to plan). EE also accepted that it was in a position to take steps to forecast cost increases and reflect them in its tariff pricing structure95.

6.132 We also note that the period of time over which CPs would have to forecast cost changes would be relatively limited (i.e. up to two years). As a result of points such as these, we would expect CPs already to be well placed to factor potential changes in input costs into their tariff planning.

6.133 We also note that other costs associated with services usually included in the core subscription price are likely to be fixed or falling. An example of this would be the cost of the handset.

All the proof you need to avoid the price increase!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure