Money Moral Dilemma: Should I report couple fraudulently claiming benefits?

Options

Comments

• Bonser
    Bonser Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    You have an obligation to report them, just as you would if you witnessed another crime.
  • Yummymummy69
    Options
    Yes Report them! They are breaking the LAW!!! Forget all of the propaganderists and this cr*p about "grassing" people up - do the right thing and report them! They won't know who's done it unless YOU tell them!
  • Shelee
    Shelee Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Yes if you are sure of your facts you should certainly report these people, why should we tax payers support these law breakers.
  • JayD
    JayD Posts: 700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think you should report them.

I have often found that those fraudulently claiming benefits are much better off financially than many who are working hard to make ends meet.

It is fraud/theft - it is a crime and in a sense, if you do not report them then you are perverting the course of justice (which is also a crime).

I understand your fear but if you phone or send in a detailed account of everything you know without giving your own details - and explain your fears - I am sure the matter will be investigated and you will be able to keep your anonymity.
  • Fujiko
    Fujiko Posts: 150 Forumite
    Options
    Yes Report them! They are breaking the LAW!!! Forget all of the propaganderists and this cr*p about "grassing" people up - do the right thing and report them! They won't know who's done it unless YOU tell them!
    Couldn't agree more. It really is nonsense to seek to justify this particular crime, because that is what it is, by quoting others. These people are in effect stealing from all the rest of us who pay our taxes to help people in real need. These two are just greedy.
    The amount involved is irrelevant. Report them as soon as you can.
  • JeremyCH
    JeremyCH Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The simple fact is that it is theft and fraud which costs us all an awful lot of money each yaer - about 1.6 Billion pounds which is reflected in either higher taxes or lower spending elsewhere on, for instance, the NHS or our roads (seen any good potholes recently?). This is not a question of grassing someone up - would you report someone if, for instance, you saw them shoplifting? It can be very difficult sometimes to make the right decision about these things but, ultimately, it is theft so I feel that you have little option but to so do.

Hope that helps
  • Naforan
    Naforan Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    YES! YES! YES!
    This is theft, pure and simple. If you saw someone breaking into a house, you'd call the police. Wouldn't you? There's no difference.
    Shop 'em!
  • Ebenezer_Screwj
    Options
    Where is the dilemma here? These people are criminals and need to be reported and punished.
  • tindella
    tindella Posts: 108 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm just surprised you're even asking! Of course you shop them.. Scrounging lowlife good for nothing wasters. If you won't, give me the details and I'll do it for you. I'm sick of working my a**e off to keep these people in idleness.:mad:
  • rinabean
    rinabean Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This country is going to the dogs honestly. I'd hate to live in such an awful area with such awful neighbours. Can you imagine living near people like that? People with no respect for society and the decent people who contribute to it... people who look up their neighbours online and jot it all down and spend hours thinking about them like a deranged stalker and think they're fixing society and everyone should join them or whatever.

Maybe you should get a job OP. If you have one but you still have this much time to think about them and how often they sleep together, that's even creepier. And maybe you should imagine that the council are just as capable as you to look at the electoral roll! It's not some lost artefact of an ancient civilisation you've finally translated - it's their own records! Were you seriously going to ring them up and tell them to look at their own records? Or is it your 'proof' that they live together - and I shudder to think what that is?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure