Money Moral Dilemma: Should I report couple fraudulently claiming benefits?

Options

Comments

• Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    As put by the OP, this is a definite case where the event should be reported. It will allow an investigation to take place, and the OP will not rest until this is done (though the OP should not expect to get a report back).

I am surprised though how many people seem to know all the financial details and such like of their neighbours.
  • past_caring
    past_caring Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 4 June 2014 at 10:03PM
    Options
    Why is it any of your concern? Does it upset your high moral principles? leave them alone. The talk of money in the pot, what on earth does that mean, do you think that if fewer people that claim benefits , then the amount will be increased for those that do? Wise up and hope that no one you care about ever finds themselves in that situation. Concern yourself with the fact that child poverty is on the increase, zero hour jobs are on the increase, homelessness is on the increase, these are the real crimes, not someone living together and claiming an extra £41 pw. If the government paid a couple the same amount as 2 single people then couples would probably live in the same house, thus freeing up housing stock and reducing the housing benefit bill.
  • bettyboon
    bettyboon Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    Yes of course you should report them, no question. You wouldn't turn a blind eye if you saw a thief stealing from your neighbour's house, theft it theft.
  • Grumpy_chap
    Options
    someone living together and claiming an extra £41 pw. If the government paid a couple the same amount as 2 single people then couples would probably live in the same house, thus freeing up housing stock and reducing the housing benefit bill.

So a couple living apart get a figure in the region of £41 extra a week on benefits. Even if they gate an extra £100 per week, that no where near meets the costs of a second address. Seems like anyone doing that would loose out rather than gain through having two addresses just to get extra benefits.
  • purplesarah
    purplesarah Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ahh people like this are the reason benefits can be so difficult to claim in the first place. I've been waiting for a kidney transplant for 7 years and I am chronically ill. I had to jump through hoops to claim what I'm entitled to, and it took 3 years to finally get the amount I was supposed to be getting.

Whatever you choose just make sure it can't come back to you.
  • gaving7095
    gaving7095 Posts: 168 Forumite
    Options
    Firstly thanks to Tr@cker for actually updating the thread with more info, comments, questions answered. I'd like to see more dilemma-posters doing that in future :-)

Moving on to the "dilemma", I do appreciate what you say re: "grassing" but seriously, the benefits system is what makes it possible for these people to not work in the first place and when they then go on to actively ABUSE it... It really makes me sick. There are jobs aplenty for those who will literally do anything.

Definitely and in fact PLEASE report them. What they are doing is very wrong and without a kick in the pants they'll almost definitely carry on wasting their lives & working people's tax money.

Much as I may tend to champion the cause if "the little guy" this is very different in my opinion & we owe it to everybody else to do what we can to stop cases like this...
  • teedee
    teedee Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    Elljo wrote: »
    No dilemma if you ask me. I don't work hard to pay for benefit cheats to sit at home all day. Give it to people that deserve it.

You mean like illegal aliens & asylum seekers?
  • Grumpy_chap
    Options
    I remain surprised at how people seem to know the financial position and other arrangements for their neighbours and such like.
  • carebear71
    Options
    I have dealt with drug addicts in the past through my work and found them to be the most manipulative bunch of people who are only interested in their own means, this may sound harsh but it's true. You said one of them has never worked, therefore he has never paid taxes or contributed to society. Some people have no intention of ever working, why should they just get handouts all the time, the worst thing is they feel they are entitled to it whilst the rest of us are getting out of our beds every day to work hard and get little in return. I know how are you feel about " grassing" but they deserve to be reported.
  • philman
    philman Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    If you're sure of it, then yes you probably should.

You say that you've checked up on them on 192.com, I wouldn't exactly trust that site, just from searching for myself I know that I am listed on there at least 3 times at various addresses I've had over the last 10 years. Even still at my student halls along with a few other hundred people!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure