Money Moral Dilemma: Should I report couple fraudulently claiming benefits?

Options

Comments

• fatpiggy
    fatpiggy Posts: 388 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, I would if I was certain. There are too many people living very nicely thank you at the expense of hardworking people. You should hear the terms a colleague of mine describes his own sister in - he and his wife work hard to afford the mortgage on a very modest ex-council house whereas his sister who has never worked a single day has 3 kids by 3 different men, has a rent-free council house in a much nicer area and at least one foreign holiday every year. They even gave her a car because she wanted to take the kids on days out! Unemployment benefits are supposed to be just enough to keep the wolf from the door, not allow you to live very comfortably. Another colleague says he sees his near neighbour walking his dog daily in the Peak District hills - despite being unable to work due to having a " bad back." Another pair of women I know personally don't work but have 2 horses, a big car to tow the horse trailer and claim everything going. They also have a disgusting habit of trashing the home they live in and the council then cheerfully move them to another nice new address to do the same again.
  • Tobywan
    Tobywan Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    There is no dilema but I appreciate your concerns.

By reporting them you are not directly responsible for anything which happens, they are, you are only raising your concerns with the authorities who will investigate (assuming they haven't been cut to the bone).

Benefit fraud along with many other forms of crime relies on honest members of the public to help. You are not being a 'grass' you are being a decent member of society, something there are far too few of.

Please report your concerns and be pleased with having done so.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
  • rob_s0
    rob_s0 Posts: 51 Forumite
    Options
    I absolutely agree, they should be shopped. I wouldn't dream of scamming the system like that and as someone who has never had a penny in benefits in their life I find it abominable that these people are effectively screwing me out of money.

If you don't report them based on what you know then you're an accessory to their crime in my eyes.
  • ellymoo
    ellymoo Posts: 126 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The word 'grass' is one used for criminals who tell the police about other criminals. It isn't a correct term for reporting a crime or a suspected crime. There is nothing wrong with 'being a grass' as you put it.

I would report them without a moment's hesitation.
  • donethat
    donethat Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Report them, you can do it anonymously and the fraud dept will check it out. They will not even know they are being investigated unless it is found that they are stealing your money and mine (tax payers).
    If they were coming into your house and stealing your food or money from your purse you would report them. This is really no different.
  • Wall86
    Wall86 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I have no problems with 'grassing them up' as you put it - feel free to pass me their information! I know people who are refused financial assistance when they genuinely need it. As far as I am concerned people who take money from the government fraudulently are hindering those who really could use the help..
  • mr-mixalot
    mr-mixalot Posts: 82 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Me and the wife seperated for a short time and she moved to a new town with the kids, we got back together and even though she still lives in another town we pay the rent and council tax on the property. I could easily live at my mums (about 15 mins away) and say we are still seperate allowing the tax payer to pick up the expense but that would be morally wrong.

I cannot see what the problem is

They are fraudently claiming monies they are not entitled to , in my mind theft

Report them simples
  • johngwynmorris
    Options
    "there is only so much in the pot"

umm, yup spend it on wars or give pay rises to MPs

So are you saying the thieves should not be reported?

There's too many benefits being paid for by too many low(ish) paid people as it is.
  • lizbec
    lizbec Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    I haven't read a lot of this thread so apologies if I'm duplicating. I just want to point out that reporting a fraudulent claimant doesn't mean there is " more money in the pot" By all means,report anyone who is engaged in illegal activity,whatever it is,but please don't muddy the waters with a lot of judgemental comments about scroungers,etc.

There would be plenty " in the pot" if bankers etc stopped getting massive bonuses and if we,as a society,valued and prioritised giving support and services to those that require it,and then used our vote accordingly.

Getting off my soapbox now!
  • jazimews
    jazimews Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    They are committing fraud!!!!!
    They are stealing money from the government that we hardworking taxpayers pay!!
    The helpline is anonymous so you don't need to give your name or contact details - I know I've done it and would do so again without hesitation - I knew people were doing exactly the same as the people you know. Fraudsters should not be allowed to get away with it!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure