Trustpilot & Other review Sites

Options
IMO the only decent review site out there is google. ie google reviews. That is because Google will post negative feedback against a business unless it can show that the feedback broke ebay rules ie on decency etc .
Other review sites that are charging businesses for the right to be reviewed at around £1200 per annum allow companies to vet reviews before they are included. I know trustpilot do this and I don't think it is right
Reviews can be worth as much as an extra 25% on sales This is a business sector that needs regulating to protect the consumer
What I want to know is how many members of the Public have tried to leave negative reviews on a site only for that review to disappear?

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ebay rules? Why have you mentioned them?
  • williham
    williham Posts: 1,223 Forumite
    Options
    Trust pilot don't let companies filter reviews, but companies can request purchase confirmation, if it is provided then trust pilot reinstate the review, good or bad.
  • ejr2403
    ejr2403 Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    wealdroam wrote: »
    Ebay rules? Why have you mentioned them?
    Sorry I meant google rules
  • ejr2403
    First Post
    edited 31 March 2014 at 1:40PM
    Options
    williham wrote: »
    Trust pilot don't let companies filter reviews, but companies can request purchase confirmation, if it is provided then trust pilot reinstate the review, good or bad.

So if you pop in to company A, get insulted and get offered a very poor deal and leave in disgust, your intelligence and sensibilities insulted, you cannot review the company?
    Or, even worse, you may have posted off an item for sale, get a derisory offer, not complete any transaction and still be unable to leave a review?

Not good in my book
  • johnnyrubin
    johnnyrubin Posts: 27 Forumite
    edited 31 March 2014 at 3:52PM
    Options
    ejr2403 wrote: »
    So if you pop in to company A, get insulted and get offered a very poor deal and leave in disgust, your intelligence and sensibilities insulted, you cannot review the company?
    Or, even worse, you may have posted off an item for sale, get a derisory offer, not complete any transaction and still be unable to leave a review?

Also I think creating a thread suggesting that Trustpilot filters reviews will get you a nice Email from their legal department!!!

Not good in my book

Are you speaking about this from a postal gold company perspective ? most of your posts seem to be about that

For the life of me a can't understand why you are having a go at Trustpilot. IMHO they are on our ( the consumers side ) and have a strong reputation for exposing poor customer service. Willing to be corrected on that but I have used the site to leave reviews a few times and speak from experience.

Also you don't need to have a customer ID to post on the site. Depends on what type of service you have bought. Perhaps you could give us a little more detail?
  • ejr2403
    First Post
    edited 2 April 2014 at 8:31PM
    Options
    You do need a customer ID to leave a review. I have no vested interest in this except to point out to MSE readers that these review sites are flawed and there is a need for an overhaul.
    I am aware of a scam company who have a great rating on Trustpilot and are using that to drag in new victims...But I am not naming names. No they are not in the gold business, but they do roofs and are about to cost me around £4000 to put right ie the roof they built has been condemned and yet they were well rated on a review site. Hmm i wonder how many of those reviews were from their family and friends?
  • Chickabiddybex
    Chickabiddybex Posts: 1,346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Google reviews are horribly unfair and unreliable because they require no proof of ordering. Competitors can leave one another poor reviews (and they do!)
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • Lumiana
    Lumiana Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 5 April 2014 at 11:50AM
    Options
    Are you saying you tried to leave a negative review on Trust Pilot and it never showed? It usually means the company reported it but you should be able to appeal and ask trust pilot to investigate.

To my experience, Trust Pilot is usually quite reliable. I work with e-commerce companies on a daily basis. Believe me, some would love to get rid of their negative reviews! But they can't. (unless maybe they haven't found where to do it which is another story!)

Google used to deal with a lot more reviews sites in the past. A lot of free ones such as Review Centres have now disappeared from their ratings. That's because anybody could leave reviews on these sites - including companies themselves for their own company!

Now Google have only kept paid review sites that can verify if the reviewer is really one of their customer. So an effort has been made there but still some do filter as you say.

For comedy value, have you seen Trust pilot's reviews for trust pilot (uk)? (I can't post a link as I'm a newbie on the forum but have a look) This is typically a company who don't filter their own reviews! lol Their replies to their reviewers will probably reply to your own question.
  • AmyNash
    AmyNash Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    I am pretty sure up to 70% of reviews are actually fake, for marketing purposes of course.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    AmyNash wrote: »
    I am pretty sure up to 70% of reviews are actually fake, for marketing purposes of course.

And how are you pretty sure?

Or are you just plucking a number out of the air?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure